• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to California

Cougar125

imported post

Ok. Here's the long and short of it. I'll be living in San Diego until June (in the barracks) so I won't have my pistols to OC.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN I DONT WANT TO HANG OUT AND LEARN!!!

What it means is while in San Diego, I'd like to meet some of you and learn about the CA laws and case laws, regarding OC in this state, so when I move to Lemoore, I'll have a good idea of what is legal and what is not.

I may be able to OC on a weekend at an event, but that will depend on my ability to retreive my firearms from the base armory with advance notice.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Welcome to the board Cougar125.

You will find that San Diego has a fairly large an enthusiastic contingent. Since most of them hang out on CalGuns, you may also want to sign in at Calgunst.net and make yourself known. Pullnshoot25 organized and pulled off a high visiablity event in San Diego as you may be aware - I think it would be safe to say he would be the 'go to' man on OC San Diego.

pullnshoot25

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Welcome to the board Cougar125.

You will find that San Diego has a fairly large an enthusiastic contingent. Since most of them hang out on CalGuns, you may also want to sign in at Calgunst.net and make yourself known. Pullnshoot25 organized and pulled off a high visiablity event in San Diego as you may be aware - I think it would be safe to say he would be the 'go to' man on OC San Diego.
YAY for notoriety!

Cougar125, I would be honored to inform you on OC, chat about the laws, show the ropes, etc. I even have a backup Bulgarian Makarov on hand for convenient loaning purposes so you don't have to worry about all the armory crap.

PM or email me when you get the chance. My blog address is also in my profile here :)

-N8

Cougar125

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
YAY for notoriety!

Cougar125, I would be honored to inform you on OC, chat about the laws, show the ropes, etc. I even have a backup Bulgarian Makarov on hand for convenient loaning purposes so you don't have to worry about all the armory crap.

PM or email me when you get the chance. My blog address is also in my profile here :)

-N8
Cool. Sounds good. I'll get ahold of you later in the week and see whats up next weekend.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
...I even have a backup Bulgarian Makarov on hand for convenient loaning purposes so you don't have to worry about all the armory crap.
I've heard that loaning a pistol requires the receiving party to have a current DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate. (I've been hearing those are hard to come by right now, unless you actually buy a gun.)

Sorry I don't have a citation or reference to where I read that. Just make sure you do your homework on it before lending.

Cougar125

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
...I even have a backup Bulgarian Makarov on hand for convenient loaning purposes so you don't have to worry about all the armory crap.
I've heard that loaning a pistol requires the receiving party to have a current DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate. (I've been hearing those are hard to come by right now, unless you actually buy a gun.)

Sorry I don't have a citation or reference to where I read that. Just make sure you do your homework on it before lending.
How would that work exactly? Asking because I don't know. All my pistols are locked up in the armory for now and have not been imported into the PRK. Would I have to register them before taking them from the armory to shoot? What do I need to do to make them CA legal?

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

If Cougar is living in the barracks, then that means he is active duty military, and as such is exempt from even having to take the HSC to buy a handgun. I would assume that the active duty military I.D. would take the place of the HSC in all circumstances.

IANAL

Cougar125

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
If Cougar is living in the barracks, then that means he is active duty military, and as such is exempt from even having to take the HSC to buy a handgun. I would assume that the active duty military I.D. would take the place of the HSC in all circumstances.

IANAL
Got a reference? I'd love to look that up.

prcE6

imported post

Check this out:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php#c6

What are the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) requirement exemption codes?

• X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
  • X02 = Operation of Law Representative
  • X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
  • X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
  • X21 = Military - Active Duty
  • X22 = Military - Reserve
  • X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
  • X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
  • X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
  • X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
  • X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
  • X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
  • X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
  • X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
  • X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
  • X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

How would that work exactly? Asking because I don't know. All my pistols are locked up in the armory for now and have not been imported into the PRK. Would I have to register them before taking them from the armory to shoot? What do I need to do to make them CA legal?
I'm not sure what you're asking... my comment was about you borrowing a gun, not making yours legal.

Now, if you plan on being in CA for more than 30 days, that is the deadline to register your handguns. I'm not sure if there is an exception for handguns held/stored on a military base.

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking... my comment was about you borrowing a gun, not making yours legal.

Now, if you plan on being in CA for more than 30 days, that is the deadline to register your handguns. I'm not sure if there is an exception for handguns held/stored on a military base.

Active duty are exempt from vbeing considered personal firearms importers, so there is no requirement to do anything to make you handguns CA legal, unless they have a threaded barrel, in which case I suggest leaving it in the armory until you leave California unless you have already gotten an Military AW permit.

Secondly, make sure that any magazines you have are 10 rounds or under.

Thirdly if one of you handguns is a hybrid pistol/shotgun like the Taurus Judge, then leave that in the armory also as it is considered a short barrel shotgun in CA and is therefore illegal.

Cougar125

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

Yes. I understand your comment was about borrowing.

My question was regarding making mine legal. I'm going to be here for like 3 years. Not in San Diego, but in CA.

Cougar125

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
A Active duty are exempt from vbeing considered personal firearms importers, so there is no requirement to do anything to make you handguns CA legal, unless they have a threaded barrel, in which case I suggest leaving it in the armory until you leave California unless you have already gotten an Military AW permit.

B Secondly, make sure that any magazines you have are 10 rounds or under.

C Thirdly if one of you handguns is a hybrid pistol/shotgun like the Taurus Judge, then leave that in the armory also as it is considered a short barrel shotgun in CA and is therefore illegal.
A - No threaded barrels.

B - My mags are 10 rounders.

C - No shotguns with me.

Could I get some references please?

Decoligny

imported post

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following

is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year

or in the state prison:

(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the

state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,

lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable

firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a

firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which

contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or

carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst

trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any

short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any

leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,

any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge

knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice

handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon

of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,

sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

Code:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures of causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lents, and large-capacity magazine.
Code:
Code:
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammuntion feeding device with the capacity to accept more than
Code:
10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:

(A) A feeding device that has been permanenetly altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

Code:
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
Code:
 (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

Code:
 (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
Code:
 (B) A thumbhole stock.

(C) A folding or telescoping stock.

Code:
 (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

(E) A flash suppressor.

Code:
 (F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Code:
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(4) A semiautomatic piston that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
Code: