• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying in Wal-Mart

siganarchy

imported post

Hi everyone,I have open carried in 2 diff wal-mart stores numerous amonts of times.Well today I was open carrying when the store manager approaches me to tell me that I can not carry a weapon in the store,I then tell her that this information is not posted in or outside the store.She then tells me you can not carry a weapon on corporate property.(really she was just saying that same thing just wording it diffrently)So I then say,so it's illegal to carry a weapon at any store?She then says you can not carry a weapon on walmart property,and tells me I must leave the store with the weapon or she will call the police.So I tell her ok and leave.IF anyone has some information on this or has been in this kinda situation in Wal-mart,I would love to here it.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

siganarchy wrote:
Hi everyone,I have open carried in 2 diff wal-mart stores numerous amonts of times.Well today I was open carrying when the store manager approaches me to tell me that I can not carry a weapon in the store,I then tell her that this information is not posted in or outside the store.She then tells me you can not carry a weapon on corporate property.(really she was just saying that same thing just wording it diffrently)So I then say,so it's illegal to carry a weapon at any store?She then says you can not carry a weapon on walmart property,and tells me I must leave the store with the weapon or she will call the police.So I tell her ok and leave.IF anyone has some information on this or has been in this kinda situation in Wal-mart,I would love to here it.
Could you give us more information? As in which wal-mart this occured in? And when? Did you get the managers name? Have you carried in this particular wal-mart before? I am sure I am not the only one wondering where you had this issue. Thanks for all the info you can provide us so that we may be of better assistance to you!

sccrref

imported post

She may be confused with the policy for employees. They are not allowed to carry. For customers, the policy is as posted above. You do not have a location listed but I would ask her to contact the stores regional manager and get clarification. There are other threads on here that have discussed this and do have contact info for one or more areas. Use thesearch function to help you find it.

siganarchy

imported post

This happened in Whitestone Virginia,and no I didn't catch her name.I have looked at other post from diff sites,and the best explanation I have gotten so far is that it isn't unlawful to open carry a firearm in walmart,but the manager of that particular store can ask to u remove the weapon or ask to to leave the store.

siganarchy

imported post

This occurred March 24,2009,and yes I have open carried in this store before.I have sent a e-mail to walmart explaining the incident and to please contact me explaining the firearms policy for walmart

Joed757

imported post

I open carried on Tidewater Drive Wal Mart located in Norfolk VA yesterday. Not only didnt an employee say anything to me about it the security officer who was 10 yards away from me for at least 5mins didnt say anything to me.

siganarchy

imported post

I've never had a problem with OCing before either.But like i said before,I have sent a e-mail and have also called the Wal-mart head quarters for the eastern part of Virginia and left them a Voice mail and a number to contact me.SO I guess we'll see how it goes.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

This happened to me in Washington I phoned Wal-mart corporate and wrote an E-mail through their website. I received a call from the Manager that it is corporate policy to follow state law and that they are a pro second ammendment corporation, and that I am allowed to carry into Wal-mart openly any time I like. I went back carrying several times and even went in to see the manager and thanked him for his and Wal-mart's support of our constitutional rights.

If you search the threads here you'll find a phone call from them that states it is allowed but sometimes the managers are uninformed. Noone has been able to get a letter from Wal-mart with their letter head on it so its just seems like we have to be vigilent and and inform Wal-mart one store at a time. Terry the manager of the Bellingham, Washington store told me if I have any problems to call him personally, his name and number is on the bottom of my reciepts. So you could call and find out if it was the actual store Manager who told you this , it wasn't in my case and Terry quickly corrected it and informed all his employees.

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/ocdo/training-bulletins/walmart-audio/Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/ocdo/training-bulletins/walmart.pdf

Walmart Marketing Office, Joe McQueen 757.471.1651
Walmart Regional Marketing Office, Cory Confer or Robert Reck 570.821.6180

Just remember we win when we are professional and kind. I also wouldn't return carrying to that store until you clear up Wal-mart's position with that manager. I am confident that things will work out well as they did in my case.

Don Barnett

imported post

I have OC'ed at the WalMart in Dale City near Potomac Mills Mall with no problems. I walked right past a manager once, he greeted me with a nice: "Hello, how are you?" I responded back with a nice: "Great, how are you? Have a nice day." No problem.

Bubba Ron

imported post

siganarchy wrote:
This occurred March 24, 2009, and yes I have open carried in this store before. I have sent a e-mail to walmart explaining the incident and to please contact me explaining the firearms policy for walmart
Did you mean March 24, 2008?? Or possibly February 24th of this year? :? It sounds like this manager is confusing Employee Policy with Walmart customer policy.

Pagan

imported post

siganarchy wrote:
This occurred March 24,2009,and yes I have open carried in this store before.I have sent a e-mail to walmart explaining the incident and to please contact me explaining the firearms policy for walmart
I was not aware you were a time traveler. I have ner had a problem at any wal-mart.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
siganarchy wrote:
This occurred March 24, 2009, and yes I have open carried in this store before. I have sent a e-mail to walmart explaining the incident and to please contact me explaining the firearms policy for walmart
Did you mean March 24, 2008?? Or possibly February 24th of this year? :? It sounds like this manager is confusing Employee Policy with Walmart customer policy.
Yeah, I thought he was seeing into the future (heh, heh).

I've also carried quite a few times in four different WalMarts without so much as a look, let alone any remarks.

fire_man2340

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
siganarchy wrote:
IF anyone has some information on this or has been in this kinda situation in Wal-mart,I would love to here it.

Yeah.

I'd say the topic comes up occasionally.

See http://tinyurl.com/bv7rn7
This happen to two of my family members they went to the wal_mart in Danville Va. and they got to the check out line and the casher would not ring them up and call the manager. they were told that b/c they were carrying a firearm. and before they make it out of the door the police showed up and put them up on the car. and was ask for I.D and why are they carry gun's. But after 20min. of being held up by the LEO's. they were told not to come back with there gun's, But i Go up there ALL the time at lest 2 to 3 times a week Open Carrying and nothing is said.

siganarchy

imported post

lol,no i'm not a tive travler,no such luck.... and it was march 14,2009,my fingers stuttered on accident

virginiatuck

imported post

If they stop you, tell them you're there to buy bullets and you want to try them on to make sure they fit. :lol:

Wal-Mart might have a bank of their own some day, albeit maybe not any time soon. I wonder if they'd decide to change their firearms policy after becoming one. Furthermore, some have 3rd party banks inside; perhaps if a partner bank had a no-guns policy, the rogue wal-mart manager adopted it as their own?

Maybe they will someday also be an election polling place, or a court-of-law, or even a k-12 school. Then it would be against the law, in Virginia, to carry a gun into Wal-Mart. Or maybe the Fed will some day bail them out and Wal-Marts will become Federal buildings. :D:D

ed wrote:
I OC at mine all the time in Sterling, VA
I have OC'd at yours, too. :cool:

I only go to Wal-Mart anymore for things I need that are made in the USA. So that limits me to bullets and not much else. Hence I've only been rung up at the Sporting Goods section while OC. Next time I'm in there, I'll buy a Pepsi (still made in USA I think) from one of the main cashiers.

I noticed that my [and ed's] wal-mart also has some self-checkout lanes. I guess you could try those if your store has them, so as to not alarm the cashiers. Computers are not afraid of guns, yet.