• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can any one tell me the do's and don'ts of CCW for MD

Co II in MD

imported post

Can any one tell me the do's and don'ts of CCW or open carry for MD.
:banghead: I've looked every were and can't seem to find a straight answer.

jwalker3181

imported post

Ok open carry is easy DON'T. Open carry is reserved for LEOs or security guards on duty. CC is possible after you jump through the states many flaming hoops. The details of getting a CW permit are depressing just know winning the lottery is easier

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You will NEVER get a CCW unless your life is threatend (and you have to prove it) or you wander with huge amounts of cash (but only when on your way to deposit such)... or you're politically connected. In short... You won't get a CCW... you can't open carry (altho ya might in the deep woods (not the parks) but up in the mountains. 'Still illegal... but odds of crossing a LEO of any type are slim to none.

2A carryis non existant in MD for the most part... beyond your front door. One of the reasons I ESCAPED! :cuss:

jwalker3181

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
You will NEVER get a CCW unless your life is threatend (and you have to prove it) or you wander with huge amounts of cash  (but only when on your way to deposit such)... or you're politically connected.   In short... You won't get a CCW... you can't open carry (altho ya might in the deep woods (not the parks) but up in the mountains.  'Still illegal... but odds of crossing a LEO of any type are slim to none.

2A carry is non existant in MD for the most part... beyond your front door.  One of the reasons I ESCAPED! :cuss:

See CCW is depressing here, and don't try multi state CCWs, no other states CCWs are recognized

Co II in MD

imported post

I already have a CCW for maryland.....it was not easy, but I cant seem to find any info on the actual dos and don'ts. I have searched and searched all I can find is "don't drink and carry".
does any one else have any info?

MikeV

imported post

I can't be 100% butI believe the permit you are issued in MD is to carry a firearm. It makes no distinction between CC and OC. You could in theory OC with your permit. I have heard that if you do decide to OC don't expect to keep your permit. It will be revoked under the guise of "disturbance of the peace" disorderly conduct" or some other "YOU SCARED THE SHEEP!!" BS!!

Mike

Sonora Rebel

imported post

How in the world did you manage a CCW in MD? Judge? Connected lawyer? Politician?

echo6tango

imported post

Co II in MD wrote:
Can any one tell me the do's and don'ts of CCW or open carry for MD.
:banghead: I've looked every were and can't seem to find a straight answer.

Wha...?? You have a permit to carry in the State of Maryland? And this Maryland place that you have a permit for is in the United States of America and the year is 2009?! Just kidding, I know there are three or four permit holders in the State :D. Here ya go:

From the Office of the Maryland Attorney General: http://www.oag.state.md.us/faq.htm

"Questions regarding the transportation of handguns or handgun permits should be directed to Assistant Attorney General Mark Bowen at e-mail: LCU@mdsp.org or 410-653-4228."

They answered my question (pretty quickly) regarding the transportation of loaded magazines in Maryland, so I would give it a whirl. If they are the POC for permit questions as stated on their website, they should be able to answer when and where you can carry. You can also ask over at http://www.progunprogressive.com as the operator of that site fought the fight and finally won the much coveted Maryland permit game.

Be safe.

Co II in MD

imported post

I appreciate all the help.....and to answer some of your questions
It is real, yes it cost a lot being that I had to pay for the class (250.00)
I had to past said class with an 80% or better. I then had to fill out all the paper
work have it notarized 3x(25.00), have my finger prints taken 3x (30.00)
had to also prove by legal paper work(and a supervisor) that I work in a capacity were I receive threats, and do the private interview with the state police. I know no Judges, have no Connected lawyers or know any.
and am no way a Politician or know any of them. I do know around 5760 so called humans that I'm around 8-12 hrs a day that at least most of them would take my life in a hot second, more then likely faster then that on the street if and when they would see me.
that also is were me and my wife meet one, and I decided to apply.

t11spanner

imported post

Co II in MD wrote:
I had to past said class with an 80% or better. I then had to fill out all the paper
had to also prove by legal paper work(and a supervisor) that I work in a capacity were I receive threats, and do the private interview with the state police. I know no Judges, have no Connected lawyers or know any.
and am no way a Politician or know any of them. I do know around 5760 so called humans that I'm around 8-12 hrs a day that at least most of them would take my life in a hot second, more then likely faster then that on the street if and when they would see me.

So, in reality, you get real "documented" threats because of your job,that is why you are granted one.

The common person in MD is not allowed. Just first reason of many I too got out of MD!

Carl

jwalker3181

imported post

Co II in MD wrote:
I guess your inmate were more dangerous than mine... Wasn't good enough for me to get one

Novus Collectus

imported post

MikeV wrote:
I can't be 100% butI believe the permit you are issued in MD is to carry a firearm. It makes no distinction between CC and OC. You could in theory OC with your permit. I have heard that if you do decide to OC don't expect to keep your permit. It will be revoked under the guise of "disturbance of the peace" disorderly conduct" or some other "YOU SCARED THE SHEEP!!" BS!!

Mike

Not specifically as you describe, but basically from what I hear from permit holders is that any negative encounter with the law because of open carrying will likely result in a revokation of the permit regardless of if any charge is actually filed or not even though it is not illegal anyway.

THis is the end result of a may issue state that has the arbitrary ability to issue, deny or revoke any permit they want for whatever reason they claim.

GWbiker

imported post

Co II in MD wrote:
Ah...you're a Corrections Officer (Sergeant) in a Maryland Prison. Yes you certainly do need a CCW permit to carry a hand gun off duty. Got some nasty critters from the Baltimore area locked up??

Now, in Pennsylvania where I worked as a CO: I went to the Cumberland County Sheriff office in uniform and told the pretty lady clerk that I needed a permit to carry a hand gun in Pennsylvania. The Sheriff came out to talk with me, asked me when I last had my annual mandatory weapons qualification at SCI-Canp Hill, handed me the paperwork which I filled out on the spot. He then signed off and I received my permit the same day.

No fingerprint. Not additional weapons class. No background checks. No list of creditable witnesses. No flaming hoops to jump thru.

And...it only cost me $19 for a five year permit. Several year later when I moved to Montgomery county, a photo was included in their paperwork.

IMO, anyone who works inside a correctional facility and among inmates, should be granted a weapons permit, without question.

Jared

imported post

You may be covered under LEOSA. You may want to check into that. Many CO's are. The BOP qualifies. Go though 18 USC 926B. Read the section line by line, if you answer yes to those questions you qualify.

The answer to your question is that legally speaking, a Maryland permit is to "wear, transport, or carry" a handgun. It is not a CCW, concealment is not mandatory and the permit is only good for pistols, not for other weapons, although, you can carry any blade in maryland as long as it is in open view.

Novus Collectus

imported post

Jared wrote:
You may be covered under LEOSA. You may want to check into that. Many CO's are. The BOP qualifies. Go though 18 USC 926B. Read the section line by line, if you answer yes to those questions you qualify.

The answer to your question is that legally speaking, a Maryland permit is to "wear, transport, or carry" a handgun. It is not a CCW, concealment is not mandatory and the permit is only good for pistols, not for other weapons, although, you can carry any blade in maryland as long as it is in open view.

If you have a MD handgun permit you can carry ANY weapon concealed.
(b) This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
Now if he carried under LEOSA, then he is restricted to just handguns, but if he also had a MD permit he could carry more than one handgun, fixed blade knives, switchblade knives, etc., concealed.

GWbiker

imported post

Jared wrote:

A basic requirement for an active or retired CO to be covered under LEOSA is "Powers of Arrest" under Peace Officer status. Not all state legislatures endow their corrections officers with Peace Officer status and P.O.A. while off duty.

Pennsylvania Correction Officers lobbied for Peace officer status in the late 90's, but such action was blocked by the Pennsylvania Fraternal Order of Police (FOP).