Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DFW Open Carry Long Gun day...

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Ok people... We need to pick a day to open carry a long gun and walk around downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. This needs to happen at least every other month from now until the next legislation begins.

Any suggestions?

Post imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
    Ok people... We need to pick a day to open carry a long gun and walk around downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. This needs to happen at least every other month from now until the next legislation begins.

Any suggestions?
    I still like the idea of pre-1899 handgun open carry.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

I'm up for it... I don't have any from that era yet...

Post imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
    I'm sure you could find one on gunbroker.com for under $100. It might not look fancy but it'll get the job done

Centurion

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    SilentKTexan wrote:
    I'm sure you could find one on gunbroker.com for under $100. It might not look fancy but it'll get the job done
    Hey Guys,

Asa long-timepromoter of pre-1899 carry, I'm interested but we need to do this right and lay the groundwork. We do NOT want the victory to be in some courtroom a year from now with 0 publicity. That's what could happen if we play this wrong (the event isn't publicized, people are arrested, and have to defend themselves in court).

I suggest we take notice of what others have done in open carry walks:

1) Work with an attorney to go over all the laws. It is worth a couple hundred of dollars for a few hours of their time. Perhaps there is even case law that they can dig up. If he/she is a 2A supporter, perhaps they will attend as an observer.

2) Pick a location that you are CERTAIN you are legal in (no places that sell booze, parks can be problematic, no schools around, etc.)

3) Work with the city police and county sheriff's office ahead of time. Let them know well in advance. Point out the law and/or case law (see 1). INVITE them to the event because we are going to be law abiding and we want them to see that rather than responding to a MWAG call.

4) Video and audio tape the entire thing. We need evidance that everything was peaceful.

5) Invite the media. We want as many cameras rolling as possible. We want positive news coverage.

6) Dress nicely and wear a retention holster, if possible. We don't want anyone saying, "see, that pistol could have easily been snatched".

7) Has there been any thought of doing this in Austin at the capitol at a called press conference then picnic? I would love legislators to see that openly carried guns are no problem.

Let's make it happen!

SA-TX

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Well let's get the ball rolling. A few hundred on an attorney is worth it.

I can make all of the contacts media/law enforcement/attorney. I need help getting the people to be involved and show up.

I've seen hundreds if not thousands of people on various forums saying "They can take my guns from my dead cold hands." So let's do something that will make their family happy... They get to help the cause and live to tell about it.

Post imported post

What sort of proof do you need for the pre 1899 pistols,
    I can't find my original sales recipt.:P

But will gladly drive out for a march on a saturday.

Post imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:

Any suggestions?
    Have you thought about what this will look like to average Joe citizen? Consider the fact that it could backfire and create the opposite effect you intend. Just think what it would look like to have the evening news showing folks walking around openly armed in downtown Dallas as a demonstration. I think the term 'loophole' would suddenly be thrown about in Austin and before you know it bills would be on the floor to close said 'loopholes'.

Crawl, walk, run. Gun rights have made tremendous progress in Austin the last few years. Drastic measures need to be carefully thought out and consequences to the ultimate goal considered before a demonstration like this takes place.

Post imported post

tfrazier wrote:
    SilentKTexan wrote:

Any suggestions?
    Have you thought about what this will look like to average Joe citizen? Consider the fact that it could backfire and create the opposite effect you intend. Just think what it would look like to have the evening news showing folks walking around openly armed in downtown Dallas as a demonstration. I think the term 'loophole' would suddenly be thrown about in Austin and before you know it bills would be on the floor to close said 'loopholes'.

Crawl, walk, run. Gun rights have made tremendous progress in Austin the last few years. Drastic measures need to be carefully thought out and consequences to the ultimate goal considered before a demonstration like this takes place.
    How about something more like the SCCC protests?
    http://www.concealedcampus.org/readmore.php?nid=40

Centurion

Post imported post

crawdaddy wrote:
    tfrazier wrote:
    SilentKTexan wrote:

Any suggestions?

How about something more like the SCCC protests?
    http://www.concealedcampus.org/readmore.php?nid=40
    I have. First, many people won't notice. Second, if they can do it in San Diego, we can do it in Texas. Third, yes, I'm concerned about legislation in Austin, but assuming it was well-publicized as an event with news cameras around, I don't think it will look menacing and cause a backlash. See my post about doing it right. Additionally, the time has past to introduce new bills. I think the odds of an anti-gun bill being passed and signed into law are slim. Again, is the concept of folks walking around with holstered pistols so much more frightening then them being allowed on college campuses? If pre-1899 carry is so awful, how are we going to get full open carry (even licensed open carry) in this state? I have more faith in Texans.

I would hardly call it drastic. Again, a group of people who have carefully coordinated it, such as a litter pickup, picnic, exercise walk, with spouses & kids present, etc. will cause less surprise to bystanders and police than if one or two people did it with no notice. That's asking for trouble.

I would submit that a pre-1899 open carry of pistols is far less drastic than openly carrying long arms which is how this topic started. Can you imagine ARs, AKs, SKSs, as well as 30.06s and others being slung over shoulders. I completely understand your point about appearances and that's why I'm suggesting this over that.

Post imported post

SA-TX wrote:
    Ian wrote:
    SilentKTexan wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Asa long-timepromoter of pre-1899 carry, I'm interested but we need to do this right and lay the groundwork. We do NOT want the victory to be in some courtroom a year from now with 0 publicity. That's what could happen if we play this wrong (the event isn't publicized, people are arrested, and have to defend themselves in court).

I suggest we take notice of what others have done in open carry walks:

1) Work with an attorney to go over all the laws. It is worth a couple hundred of dollars for a few hours of their time. Perhaps there is even case law that they can dig up. If he/she is a 2A supporter, perhaps they will attend as an observer.

2) Pick a location that you are CERTAIN you are legal in (no places that sell booze, parks can be problematic, no schools around, etc.)

3) Work with the city police and county sheriff's office ahead of time. Let them know well in advance. Point out the law and/or case law (see 1). INVITE them to the event because we are going to be law abiding and we want them to see that rather than responding to a MWAG call.

4) Video and audio tape the entire thing. We need evidance that everything was peaceful.

5) Invite the media. We want as many cameras rolling as possible. We want positive news coverage.

6) Dress nicely and wear a retention holster, if possible. We don't want anyone saying, "see, that pistol could have easily been snatched".

7) Has there been any thought of doing this in Austin at the capitol at a called press conference then picnic? I would love legislators to see that openly carried guns are no problem.

Let's make it happen!

SA-TX
    Just FYI this is irrelevant because a pre 1899 isn't considered a firearm by the federal government, but yes I agree.

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    Just FYI this is irrelevant because a pre 1899 isn't considered a firearm by the federal government, but yes I agree.
    The point is raising public awareness through education. A Colt revolver made on 12/31/1889 and one made 1/1/1899 (or 3/18/2009, for that matter) fire exactly the same ammunition; one is legal to carry openly or concealed without a license, and the other is not.

Illustrating absurdity is a good way to change laws.

Post imported post

So which smuck gets to carry the Jan 1, 1900 colt so the public can find out?
    Actually some of the older guns are in th .75 cal range, much bigger than the
    scarry 50 cal one of today.

Which brings me back to how do I proove it is pre 1899 without an original reciept?
    It is pre civil war so I know it is old enough. But would putting a post 1899 bullet
    in it make me a target for setting an example for the rest of the state.
    Unfortunatly the holster will be post 2000.
    But Dallas is only a tank of gas away, so any sat is good for me.

Would like to see the march in front of the Alamo for a real news event.
    The slaughter that changed the war, would be so symbolic to the current
    government thugs suppressing the Texans' again.
    But I'm OK with Dallas.

Post imported post

Just a thought for all you guys who are considering pre-1899 handgun carry: I don't know about Texas, but I'm pretty sure in most states this also applies to replicas of pre-1899 handguns, kinda like my Uberti copy of the Colt Walker. They're pretty dang cheap too, my Walker cost like $300 or so new and my 1851 Confederate Navy cost $150 new.

Just an idea for somebody to research. If it's legal to carry, get one! They're fun to shoot and if used in self-defense will kill somebody just as dead as a cartridge handgun! If you're an experienced shooter with that gun that is. I'm good with the Walker but still haven't dialed in my Navy yet.... couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Post imported post

Replicas only applies to muzzle-loaders or cap-and-ball. For something that fires conventional fixed ammunition, replicas don't get a pass.

Post imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
    So which smuck gets to carry the Jan 1, 1900 colt so the public can find out?
    Actually some of the older guns are in th .75 cal range, much bigger than the
    scarry 50 cal one of today.

Which brings me back to how do I proove it is pre 1899 without an original reciept?
    It is pre civil war so I know it is old enough. But would putting a post 1899 bullet
    in it make me a target for setting an example for the rest of the state.
    Unfortunatly the holster will be post 2000.
    But Dallas is only a tank of gas away, so any sat is good for me.

Would like to see the march in front of the Alamo for a real news event.
    The slaughter that changed the war, would be so symbolic to the current
    government thugs suppressing the Texans' again.
    But I'm OK with Dallas.
    You can have a pre 1899 rechambered in modern ammo like .40 and .45 and it's perfectly legal.

Post 1899 ammunition does not make it illegal to carry a pre 1899 gun.

We should just all pool money and get a 2A lawyer to do a lot of research and make us a big list of what is legal and what isn't.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Replicas only applies to muzzle-loaders or cap-and-ball. For something that fires conventional fixed ammunition, replicas don't get a pass.
    Sorry, I didn't clarify, that's what I meant though - cap and ball.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Basically it looks like people aren't interested.

According to current law a long gun can be carried openly.

A pre 1899 "gun" isn't legally a gun. So it would not get the same attention.

Those of you that want to carry a pre 1899 gun are still carrying a gun in the eyes of the anti 2A people, which is something people have been ignoring.

Like the old guy in the movie said... Is you in or is you out?

I'll have my 30-06 with scope on a strap on my back.

I need at least 20 more people. Once I get 20 names and a set date I'll be calling the media and DPD. There will also be video and audio recording.

Working on the lawyer being present.

Post imported post

i am interested

Post imported post

I would be glad to join ya'll. I can have my M91/30 Mosin Nagant and a replica cap-and-ball revolver ready anytime.

cheers

Centurion

Post imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:

Those of you that want to carry a pre 1899 gun are still carrying a gun in the eyes of the anti 2A people, which is something people have been ignoring.

I need at least 20 more people. Once I get 20 names and a set date I'll be calling the media and DPD. There will also be video and audio recording.

Be careful with what type of attention you want. The last time long guns were carried in protest, at the death chamber prison in Huntsville, the Legislature then passed a new law making a distance around it a forbidden place during an execution (see Penal Code 46.03(6).

Yes, the same point could be made about pre-1899 guns (that showing them off could move the Lege do change the law), but I think it is less likely because TX law currently matches federal law. In addition, holstered sidearms are much less likely to draw negative attention in the way that long arms might.

Keep them in the sling on your back or you could have a "disorderly conduct" issue. It might not hold up, but you run a bigger risk if handled.

Honestly, I think carrying long arms in public misses the point. We aren't trying to change the law in that area. Yes it is legal. Why not help change the law regarding open carry of handguns? I think a long-arm event, done wrongly, could HURT not help the prospects for open carry of handguns in Texas.

Just my $.02.

SA-TX

Post imported post

SA-TX wrote:
    SilentKTexan wrote:

Be careful with what type of attention you want. The last time long guns were carried in protest, at the death chamber prison in Huntsville, the Legislature then passed a new law making a distance around it a forbidden place during an execution (see Penal Code 46.03(6).

Yes, the same point could be made about pre-1899 guns (that showing them off could move the Lege do change the law), but I think it is less likely because TX law currently matches federal law. In addition, holstered sidearms are much less likely to draw negative attention in the way that long arms might.

Keep them in the sling on your back or you could have a "disorderly conduct" issue. It might not hold up, but you run a bigger risk if handled.

Honestly, I think carrying long arms in public misses the point. We aren't trying to change the law in that area. Yes it is legal. Why not help change the law regarding open carry of handguns? I think a long-arm event, done wrongly, could HURT not help the prospects for open carry of handguns in Texas.

Just my $.02.

SA-TX
    I agree, long guns are not what we are going for here.

SilentKTexan's arguement of an 1899 gun not legally being a gun is not a very good one.

"If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck.......

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    I agree, long guns are not what we are going for here.

SilentKTexan's arguement of an 1899 gun not legally being a gun is not a very good one.

"If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck.......

Thank you.. You proved my point. Earlier you made a statement that we SHOULD carry pre 1899 because they weren't legally firearms. My point was that the anti-gun people are going to see it as a gun regardless of it being made in 2008 or 1899.

If you used pre 1899 they would also be laughing at you and bring back the same statement of saying we want to go back to the wild west.

If you are going to carry a long gun carry a long gun. But I don't see how pre 1899 helps, in fact I think it hurts.

Post imported post

...I wouldn't show up at a long gun carry day...the press would wonder why we were making a fuss...wouldn't help OC one bit...might piss off enough folks to get long gun carry banned...for no good reason..........I'd long gun carry if my car broke down and that's all I had with me...other than that...it'll generate negative press...now if they went after our long gun carry rights...then I could see and support it...right now, it'd just throw s... in the soup...might tip public sentiment against us and hurt the bills that are 2A friendly and are up this session....

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

sheepdog wrote:
    ...now if they went after our long gun carry rights...then I could see and support it......
    Ok...So I agree with most of what you said except this line..

This mentality is why 2A rights are being lost all around this country. Don't you realize that by the time anti 2A bills are introduced it's too late to stop them.

Just think about how much support is needed before a law maker introduces a bill. In most cases they won't introduce a bill unless they already have enough commitment for it to pass in the end.

We must continuously fight for rights regardless if they are open to us without restriction or on the law maker chopping block.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast