• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DFW Open Carry Long Gun day...

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Ok people... We need to pick a day to open carry a long gun and walk around downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. This needs to happen at least every other month from now until the next legislation begins.

Any suggestions?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
Ok people... We need to pick a day to open carry a long gun and walk around downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. This needs to happen at least every other month from now until the next legislation begins.

Any suggestions?
I still like the idea of pre-1899 handgun open carry.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
I'm up for it... I don't have any from that era yet...
I'm sure you could find one on gunbroker.com for under $100. It might not look fancy but it'll get the job done :)

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Ian wrote:
SilentKTexan wrote:
I'm sure you could find one on gunbroker.com for under $100. It might not look fancy but it'll get the job done :)

Hey Guys,

Asa long-timepromoter of pre-1899 carry, I'm interested but we need to do this right and lay the groundwork. We do NOT want the victory to be in some courtroom a year from now with 0 publicity. That's what could happen if we play this wrong (the event isn't publicized, people are arrested, and have to defend themselves in court).

I suggest we take notice of what others have done in open carry walks:

1) Work with an attorney to go over all the laws. It is worth a couple hundred of dollars for a few hours of their time. Perhaps there is even case law that they can dig up. If he/she is a 2A supporter, perhaps they will attend as an observer.

2) Pick a location that you are CERTAIN you are legal in (no places that sell booze, parks can be problematic, no schools around, etc.)

3) Work with the city police and county sheriff's office ahead of time. Let them know well in advance. Point out the law and/or case law (see 1). INVITE them to the event because we are going to be law abiding and we want them to see that rather than responding to a MWAG call.

4) Video and audio tape the entire thing. We need evidance that everything was peaceful.

5) Invite the media. We want as many cameras rolling as possible. We want positive news coverage.

6) Dress nicely and wear a retention holster, if possible. We don't want anyone saying, "see, that pistol could have easily been snatched".

7) Has there been any thought of doing this in Austin at the capitol at a called press conference then picnic? I would love legislators to see that openly carried guns are no problem.

Let's make it happen!

SA-TX

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well let's get the ball rolling. A few hundred on an attorney is worth it.

I can make all of the contacts media/law enforcement/attorney. I need help getting the people to be involved and show up.

I've seen hundreds if not thousands of people on various forums saying "They can take my guns from my dead cold hands." So let's do something that will make their family happy... They get to help the cause and live to tell about it.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

What sort of proof do you need for the pre 1899 pistols,
I can't find my original sales recipt.:p

But will gladly drive out for a march on a saturday.

tfrazier

imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:

Any suggestions?
Have you thought about what this will look like to average Joe citizen? Consider the fact that it could backfire and create the opposite effect you intend. Just think what it would look like to have the evening news showing folks walking around openly armed in downtown Dallas as a demonstration. I think the term 'loophole' would suddenly be thrown about in Austin and before you know it bills would be on the floor to close said 'loopholes'.

Crawl, walk, run. Gun rights have made tremendous progress in Austin the last few years. Drastic measures need to be carefully thought out and consequences to the ultimate goal considered before a demonstration like this takes place.

crawdaddy

imported post

tfrazier wrote:
SilentKTexan wrote:

Any suggestions?
Have you thought about what this will look like to average Joe citizen? Consider the fact that it could backfire and create the opposite effect you intend. Just think what it would look like to have the evening news showing folks walking around openly armed in downtown Dallas as a demonstration. I think the term 'loophole' would suddenly be thrown about in Austin and before you know it bills would be on the floor to close said 'loopholes'.

Crawl, walk, run. Gun rights have made tremendous progress in Austin the last few years. Drastic measures need to be carefully thought out and consequences to the ultimate goal considered before a demonstration like this takes place.
How about something more like the SCCC protests?
http://www.concealedcampus.org/readmore.php?nid=40

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

crawdaddy wrote:
tfrazier wrote:
SilentKTexan wrote:

Any suggestions?

How about something more like the SCCC protests?
http://www.concealedcampus.org/readmore.php?nid=40

I have. First, many people won't notice. Second, if they can do it in San Diego, we can do it in Texas. Third, yes, I'm concerned about legislation in Austin, but assuming it was well-publicized as an event with news cameras around, I don't think it will look menacing and cause a backlash. See my post about doing it right. Additionally, the time has past to introduce new bills. I think the odds of an anti-gun bill being passed and signed into law are slim. Again, is the concept of folks walking around with holstered pistols so much more frightening then them being allowed on college campuses? If pre-1899 carry is so awful, how are we going to get full open carry (even licensed open carry) in this state? I have more faith in Texans.

I would hardly call it drastic. Again, a group of people who have carefully coordinated it, such as a litter pickup, picnic, exercise walk, with spouses & kids present, etc. will cause less surprise to bystanders and police than if one or two people did it with no notice. That's asking for trouble.

I would submit that a pre-1899 open carry of pistols is far less drastic than openly carrying long arms which is how this topic started. Can you imagine ARs, AKs, SKSs, as well as 30.06s and others being slung over shoulders. I completely understand your point about appearances and that's why I'm suggesting this over that.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SA-TX wrote:
Ian wrote:
SilentKTexan wrote:

Hey Guys,

Asa long-timepromoter of pre-1899 carry, I'm interested but we need to do this right and lay the groundwork. We do NOT want the victory to be in some courtroom a year from now with 0 publicity. That's what could happen if we play this wrong (the event isn't publicized, people are arrested, and have to defend themselves in court).

I suggest we take notice of what others have done in open carry walks:

1) Work with an attorney to go over all the laws. It is worth a couple hundred of dollars for a few hours of their time. Perhaps there is even case law that they can dig up. If he/she is a 2A supporter, perhaps they will attend as an observer.

2) Pick a location that you are CERTAIN you are legal in (no places that sell booze, parks can be problematic, no schools around, etc.)

3) Work with the city police and county sheriff's office ahead of time. Let them know well in advance. Point out the law and/or case law (see 1). INVITE them to the event because we are going to be law abiding and we want them to see that rather than responding to a MWAG call.

4) Video and audio tape the entire thing. We need evidance that everything was peaceful.

5) Invite the media. We want as many cameras rolling as possible. We want positive news coverage.

6) Dress nicely and wear a retention holster, if possible. We don't want anyone saying, "see, that pistol could have easily been snatched".

7) Has there been any thought of doing this in Austin at the capitol at a called press conference then picnic? I would love legislators to see that openly carried guns are no problem.

Let's make it happen!

SA-TX
Just FYI this is irrelevant because a pre 1899 isn't considered a firearm by the federal government, but yes I agree.

KBCraig

imported post

Ian wrote:
Just FYI this is irrelevant because a pre 1899 isn't considered a firearm by the federal government, but yes I agree.
The point is raising public awareness through education. A Colt revolver made on 12/31/1889 and one made 1/1/1899 (or 3/18/2009, for that matter) fire exactly the same ammunition; one is legal to carry openly or concealed without a license, and the other is not.

Illustrating absurdity is a good way to change laws.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So which smuck gets to carry the Jan 1, 1900 colt so the public can find out?
Actually some of the older guns are in th .75 cal range, much bigger than the
scarry 50 cal one of today.

Which brings me back to how do I proove it is pre 1899 without an original reciept?
It is pre civil war so I know it is old enough. But would putting a post 1899 bullet
in it make me a target for setting an example for the rest of the state.
Unfortunatly the holster will be post 2000. :cuss:
But Dallas is only a tank of gas away, so any sat is good for me.

Would like to see the march in front of the Alamo for a real news event.
The slaughter that changed the war, would be so symbolic to the current
government thugs suppressing the Texans' again.
But I'm OK with Dallas.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Just a thought for all you guys who are considering pre-1899 handgun carry: I don't know about Texas, but I'm pretty sure in most states this also applies to replicas of pre-1899 handguns, kinda like my Uberti copy of the Colt Walker. They're pretty dang cheap too, my Walker cost like $300 or so new and my 1851 Confederate Navy cost $150 new.

Just an idea for somebody to research. If it's legal to carry, get one! They're fun to shoot and if used in self-defense will kill somebody just as dead as a cartridge handgun! If you're an experienced shooter with that gun that is. I'm good with the Walker but still haven't dialed in my Navy yet.... couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

KBCraig

imported post

Replicas only applies to muzzle-loaders or cap-and-ball. For something that fires conventional fixed ammunition, replicas don't get a pass.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
So which smuck gets to carry the Jan 1, 1900 colt so the public can find out?
Actually some of the older guns are in th .75 cal range, much bigger than the
scarry 50 cal one of today.

Which brings me back to how do I proove it is pre 1899 without an original reciept?
It is pre civil war so I know it is old enough. But would putting a post 1899 bullet
in it make me a target for setting an example for the rest of the state.
Unfortunatly the holster will be post 2000. :cuss:
But Dallas is only a tank of gas away, so any sat is good for me.

Would like to see the march in front of the Alamo for a real news event.
The slaughter that changed the war, would be so symbolic to the current
government thugs suppressing the Texans' again.
But I'm OK with Dallas.
You can have a pre 1899 rechambered in modern ammo like .40 and .45 and it's perfectly legal.

Post 1899 ammunition does not make it illegal to carry a pre 1899 gun.

We should just all pool money and get a 2A lawyer to do a lot of research and make us a big list of what is legal and what isn't.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Basically it looks like people aren't interested.

According to current law a long gun can be carried openly.

A pre 1899 "gun" isn't legally a gun. So it would not get the same attention.

Those of you that want to carry a pre 1899 gun are still carrying a gun in the eyes of the anti 2A people, which is something people have been ignoring.

Like the old guy in the movie said... Is you in or is you out?

I'll have my 30-06 with scope on a strap on my back.

I need at least 20 more people. Once I get 20 names and a set date I'll be calling the media and DPD. There will also be video and audio recording.

Working on the lawyer being present.

orthzar

imported post

I would be glad to join ya'll. I can have my M91/30 Mosin Nagant and a replica cap-and-ball revolver ready anytime.

cheers