• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DFW Open Carry Long Gun day...

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
Basically it looks like people aren't interested.

According to current law a long gun can be carried openly.

A pre 1899 "gun" isn't legally a gun. So it would not get the same attention.

Those of you that want to carry a pre 1899 gun are still carrying a gun in the eyes of the anti 2A people, which is something people have been ignoring.

Like the old guy in the movie said... Is you in or is you out?

I'll have my 30-06 with scope on a strap on my back.

I need at least 20 more people. Once I get 20 names and a set date I'll be calling the media and DPD. There will also be video and audio recording.

Working on the lawyer being present.
Be careful with what type of attention you want. The last time long guns were carried in protest, at the death chamber prison in Huntsville, the Legislature then passed a new law making a distance around it a forbidden place during an execution (see Penal Code 46.03(6).

Yes, the same point could be made about pre-1899 guns (that showing them off could move the Lege do change the law), but I think it is less likely because TX law currently matches federal law. In addition, holstered sidearms are much less likely to draw negative attention in the way that long arms might.

Keep them in the sling on your back or you could have a "disorderly conduct" issue. It might not hold up, but you run a bigger risk if handled.

Honestly, I think carrying long arms in public misses the point. We aren't trying to change the law in that area. Yes it is legal. Why not help change the law regarding open carry of handguns? I think a long-arm event, done wrongly, could HURT not help the prospects for open carry of handguns in Texas.

Just my $.02.

SA-TX

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SA-TX wrote:
SilentKTexan wrote:
Basically it looks like people aren't interested.

According to current law a long gun can be carried openly.

A pre 1899 "gun" isn't legally a gun. So it would not get the same attention.

Those of you that want to carry a pre 1899 gun are still carrying a gun in the eyes of the anti 2A people, which is something people have been ignoring.

Like the old guy in the movie said... Is you in or is you out?

I'll have my 30-06 with scope on a strap on my back.

I need at least 20 more people. Once I get 20 names and a set date I'll be calling the media and DPD. There will also be video and audio recording.

Working on the lawyer being present.
Be careful with what type of attention you want. The last time long guns were carried in protest, at the death chamber prison in Huntsville, the Legislature then passed a new law making a distance around it a forbidden place during an execution (see Penal Code 46.03(6).

Yes, the same point could be made about pre-1899 guns (that showing them off could move the Lege do change the law), but I think it is less likely because TX law currently matches federal law. In addition, holstered sidearms are much less likely to draw negative attention in the way that long arms might.

Keep them in the sling on your back or you could have a "disorderly conduct" issue. It might not hold up, but you run a bigger risk if handled.

Honestly, I think carrying long arms in public misses the point. We aren't trying to change the law in that area. Yes it is legal. Why not help change the law regarding open carry of handguns? I think a long-arm event, done wrongly, could HURT not help the prospects for open carry of handguns in Texas.

Just my $.02.

SA-TX
I agree, long guns are not what we are going for here.

SilentKTexan's arguement of an 1899 gun not legally being a gun is not a very good one.

"If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck.......

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Ian wrote:
I agree, long guns are not what we are going for here.

SilentKTexan's arguement of an 1899 gun not legally being a gun is not a very good one.

"If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck.......

Thank you.. You proved my point. Earlier you made a statement that we SHOULD carry pre 1899 because they weren't legally firearms. My point was that the anti-gun people are going to see it as a gun regardless of it being made in 2008 or 1899.

If you used pre 1899 they would also be laughing at you and bring back the same statement of saying we want to go back to the wild west.

If you are going to carry a long gun carry a long gun. But I don't see how pre 1899 helps, in fact I think it hurts.

sheepdog

imported post

...I wouldn't show up at a long gun carry day...the press would wonder why we were making a fuss...wouldn't help OC one bit...might piss off enough folks to get long gun carry banned...for no good reason..........I'd long gun carry if my car broke down and that's all I had with me...other than that...it'll generate negative press...now if they went after our long gun carry rights...then I could see and support it...right now, it'd just throw s... in the soup...might tip public sentiment against us and hurt the bills that are 2A friendly and are up this session....

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...now if they went after our long gun carry rights...then I could see and support it......

Ok...So I agree with most of what you said except this line..

This mentality is why 2A rights are being lost all around this country. Don't you realize that by the time anti 2A bills are introduced it's too late to stop them.

Just think about how much support is needed before a law maker introduces a bill. In most cases they won't introduce a bill unless they already have enough commitment for it to pass in the end.

We must continuously fight for rights regardless if they are open to us without restriction or on the law maker chopping block.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Prior to the 1994 CHL legislation,Texas case law provided exception for UNLOADED handgun possession in the absence of otherwise criminal conduct.I'm not aware of any modification of this legal precedent. This approach -" Kalifornia style OC" (without ammo on about the person)should also be considered for demonstration purposes of "lawful" Texas open carry -provided that holstered OC "display" does not "emerge" from concealment by aconcealed handgun licensee - thereby invoking the "....failure to conceal" provision.

Ofcourseany approach ( long-gun, antique loop-hole, or holstered/unloaded) may result in a court date.Perhaps unapologetic OC coordinated with litter pick up events inSELECTED locations would be a better course.If a jurisdiction opts to enforce the penal code under such circumstances it would be a good test case for a constitutional challenge.

sheepdog

imported post

...SilentKTexan...I wasn't thinking of a long gun carry day as preserving that right, but that it wouldn't further our OC efforts...not as familiar with the legislating process as I need to be...but I still don't see how a long carry day helps either OC or our long carry right...I think it would just stir up concern, perhaps provoke a LE encounter...and we don't need a test case for a law that's not being challenged by LEO...because it's a non-issue with them for the most part...I've never heard of anyone hassled or locked up for long carry...though I'm sure some have, it doesn't put our focus on OC...or the public's...or our legislators'...

Now, if we wanted to throw a BBQ for the public and press...educate and discuss the reasons for OC and why we want it restored, and show the world a smiling, normal, friendly, neighborly posture, to win friends and supporters, or do some charity event...or clean highways with signs or banners on a truck...I can see where that would do some good...I just think our efforts should specifically target and explain OC, and long carry seems to me to be a tangent...another distraction...kind of like what happened to us with parking lot bills and student campus carry...we got left out because a lot of focus was there...I think our best chance for a bill the next time around will be to show the world a united, reasonable, logical face...no bickering amongst ourselves or other support groups....and the highway cleanup, charitable events, BBQs, etc. should help that image a lot...I'd work on those...

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
Thank you.. You proved my point. Earlier you made a statement that we SHOULD carry pre 1899 because they weren't legally firearms. My point was that the anti-gun people are going to see it as a gun regardless of it being made in 2008 or 1899.

If you used pre 1899 they would also be laughing at you and bring back the same statement of saying we want to go back to the wild west.

If you are going to carry a long gun carry a long gun. But I don't see how pre 1899 helps, in fact I think it hurts.
Sounds like a perfect way to destroy that line that the antis love to throw at us. I'd be in for a pre 1899 carry event. Not a long gun even tho. I don't think it'd help our cause at all.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
SilentKTexan wrote:

Sounds like a perfect way to destroy that line that the antis love to throw at us.  I'd be in for a pre 1899 carry event. Not a long gun even tho. I don't think it'd help our cause at all.

Firearms from that era don't interest me and I wouldn't use my money to buy one. I'd only carry something I already have... I'm sure others feel the same way.

It's obvious it won't happen... I see too many excuses