• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Family Conversation

swjr

imported post

Friday night we were out to dinner with some of my family, including my parents. My parents were discussing that they were going out of town for two weeks leaving my 16 year old sister, 19 year old sister, and paralyzed grandfather home alone. These guys don't even have a home that all the locks work on. I brought up the safety issue and the discussion turned to firearms.

My mother attended East High School in SLC in the 1970s she brought up that in the basement of the school they had a rifle firing range! As a senior she took a target class and was actually quite good at shooting.

So, we had a rifle range IN A SCHOOL in the '70s. With all the laws concerning firearms and schools you would think that they were never allowed.

What changed between then and now that brought on the massive regulations surrounding school zones?

Could you imagine if there was a rifle range in Columbine? All those students in that class when SHTF, all trained marksmen, would they have made a difference in the end results?

Are they "Brady's" of this world SO UNFAMILIAR with firearms that they have become this big scary object?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

It was not uncommon for our greatest generation (my grandfather)to carry rifles and shotguns to school, and go hunting after class.

My sisters were on highschoolrifle teams in the 80's. Remember those fake, white drill rifles? Probably too scary for school now...

I hate to agree with Eric Holder, but we have turned into a nation of cowards.

rightsreserved

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
It was not uncommon for our greatest generation (my grandfather)to carry rifles and shotguns to school, and go hunting after class.

My sisters were on highschoolrifle teams in the 80's. Remember those fake, white drill rifles? Probably too scary for school now...

I hate to agree with Eric Holder, but we have turned into a nation of cowards.
IT still happens here. I know the principal for our local HS quite well and he tells me that he get calls from people asking about the rifles hanging in gun racks. He handles it by telling them that we live in a community where hunting is a way of life.

rpyne

imported post

When I attended High School in Idaho in the late 60s and early 70s, it was not at all uncommon to carry a rifle down the hall and lock it up in your locker. We quite often would meet up after school and go varmint hunting, and those who car pooled or rode the bus had nowhere other than their locker to store a rifle for the day.

Among those who drove to school, full rifle racks in the parking lot were very common.

Our High School metals teacher custom made guns and often taught students the finer points of custom firearms.

scorpioajr

imported post

rpyne wrote:
When I attended High School in Idaho in the late 60s and early 70s, it was not at all uncommon to carry a rifle down the hall and lock it up in your locker. We quite often would meet up after school and go varmint hunting, and those who car pooled or rode the bus had nowhere other than their locker to store a rifle for the day.
Among those who drove to school, full rifle racks in the parking lot were very common.
Our High School metals teacher custom made guns and often taught students the finer points of custom firearms.
Thats what I'm talking about!
Seriously, coming from a person in their late twenties, you have to understand that this is the FIRST i have ever heard of gun being allowed in schools ever. I agree that it is ridiculous that we have lost touch with the hobbies and events that got us to civility to begin with.

swjr

imported post

Society is conditioning the youth of today that guns are evil and are only used as a weapon to cause harm to innocents. This is obviously not the case, but even growing up in a family where my mother apparently used to shoot rifles in her high school basement I was taught that guns are dangerous and should not be in homes. That's ALL I was taught.

So what happened? WHEN did it all change?