• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you know other methods of self defense?

Do you know another method of self defense which doesn't entail common weapons?

• Yes, I've learned other methods other than using firearm or objects for the purpose of use as a weap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm completely ignorant and live the way of the gun. I'll even use my gun for hand-to-hand.

• No, I'm physically incapable of learning other self defense methods.

• Total voters

Pamiam

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Some might see this more of a flame, well if you don't know how to protect yourself without objects designed as a weapon then yes.

I've known how to fight fairly well even though my fighting is described as brute and dirty. Since coming to the firearms community there seems to be some stigma among people in which firearms owners don't know any other method than to use a firearm.

I've placed a poll with specific selections I'd like to describe and clarify.
1) Here I've said "other methods" in designation of improvised weapons, martial arts, or any other method which doesn't entail using an object designed for defense.
2) Yes, reading number two right, ignorance.
3) In respect for people on the forum who are physically incapable I've created this option. There are users on the forum which have bad knees, osteoporosis, and other physical disablement which may hinder or hurt the person when attempting to learn other methods for self defense.
No flame taken.

I did the martial arts classes, and they were fun and great exercise. But frankly, if I'm threatened and armed, I'm going to shoot. That's simply the most expedient, most effective method of self defense. If someone is threatening my life or the life of someone close to me, I have no plans to see if I got my money's worth out of the martial arts classes at that particular moment.

Rizzin

imported post

Firearm would always be my preferred weapon to stop a BG with, but I work in a "Crime Spree Zone" and so CAN"T always have it at hand.

One semester in collage there was an after hours Jeet Kun Do class going that I went to for a couple of months before the school broke it up ( Liability issues) and now 5 years as an SCA heavy fighter which is WESTERN martial arts (swords and other pointy things mostly) which is different enough to really scew up expectations of an EASTERN martial artists when reaching for those "improvised weapons".

Mostly I think it more of a mind set then any kind of training, you have to be willing to bring harm to the enemy as quickly and efficiently as you possibly can to neutralize the threat to you and yours they represent. Take that and a little forethought into the types of situations that COULD happen and your already 1 step ahead of the thugs that are expecting the mere threat of physical violence to cow their intended victims. I've read that the only thing more surprising then a successful ambush is an unsuccessful one where the ambushee turns the ambush back on the ambushers. I see a little bit of that in the videos of when people fight back against the BG's, it shocks them a lot of times. It give us a real chance to turn things around.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As a 6'6" 300 pound Male, I normally don't get into fight , Because people just aint that dumb to start something with me that they CAN'T finish, I have also been a bouncer at this & that club since I turned 21 , that's 19 years ago. Put some time in with the US Army Infantry in the early 90's - Took a Martial arts class when I was 16 that was cool & all, but I learned all the Kung Fu / Karate in the world won't stop a bullet...I now choose to go like a white man & use a gun.

kd6sxa

imported post

Me to. I do the Karate to get into better shape. I got some sloppy knee joints that is a product of to many jumps with to much weight.

Aaron1124

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
As a 6'6" 300 pound Male, I normally don't get into fight , Because people just aint that dumb to start something with me that they CAN'T finish, I have also been a bouncer at this & that club since I turned 21 , that's 19 years ago. Took a Martial arts class when I was 16 that was cool & all, but I learned all the Kung Fu / Karate in the world won't stop a bullet...I now choose to go like a white man & use a gun.
Kung Fu is an excellent martial art for mental discipline. I can't vouch too much on it's reliability for physical defense, but it's great for mental discipline and focus.

Hunterdave

imported post

146 amateur fights and 2 pro and a pretty big guy, never had much trouble.
When I was a kid and did have trouble with some other kid, would invite them to
boxing practice,my dad would put them in the ring to spar with me, they never
came back.
Gettin to "long in the tooth" for all that now.

But when it comes to life and death,I don't fight fair.
Military taught me that.

Old Grump

imported post

Used to run for the fun of it, used to lift weights, play football, wrestle, box and fence. Also used to be built like a gorilla and loved to roll around in the dirt with dummies. Now I'm old, rolling around in the dirt isn't an option and neither is running. Fight dirty with whatever I can swing, poke or swing at a boogerman. Can't say anything about the martial arts but I can spell them. Do know how to fight dirty and I can shoot fairly well, that's good enough for me. Little old ladies with attitude trumps a whole bunch of bad guys with rocks for brains and if attitude works for them then it works for me too.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cabbitone wrote:
I'm a big guy. Intimidating to most. I know how to fight, have had no formal training though. But honestly, like many above said I'd prefer to stay out of a situation in which I'd ever need to. Aside from that I've had knee problems all of my adult life from sports when I was younger, and have had to and will in the future need a cane for support. I love my Glocks, they keep me safe no matter how large or small the threat. But I do really wish Sword/Gun Canes were legal.... swords don't run out of ammo. :p
cane-sword-rattan.jpg
like this alot.:)

Aaron1124

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
Yes but there are restrictions on the size and/or type of blade... right?
That's where it gets iffy. Blades aren't preempted like firearms. Here's the law that touches "dangerous weapons"

RCW 9.41.250

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

and RCW 9.41.270

Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, paragraph A of 9.41.250 tells you what you can not even possess in this state, concealed or open.

Paragraph B of 9.41.250 tells you weapons that you cannot carry concealed, or with intent to conceal.

Section 1 of 9.41.270 tells you that you cannot carry those weapons that manifests an intent to intimidate or warrant alarm. Basically, the same thing as the law on carrying a pistol. As long as the weapons listed under section 1 are carried in a non threatening manner, such as in a sheath, holster, or other carrying case, you're within the law.

The exemptions are for law enforcement, carrying on your own property, or acting in defense. Seeing how these weapons aren't preempted, cities and counties may enact their own ordinances that restrict the carry of these weapons in their jurisdiction. Fortunately, there are not many cities that actually have restrictions on blades or blade lengths. I know Seattle does, and possibly Olympia. Seattle restricts all fixed blades (non folding blades) and blades over 3 1'2" inches in length.

AbNo

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
just remember, the only unfair fightr is the one you lose.
My gimpy knees agree.

In fact, you might see a rather amusing post concerning officer safety excuse and some of the stuff people keep in their vehicles pretty soon.

"You need to take my weapon for your safety, officer? Well, while you're getting it, you'd better get those screwdrivers out of the back seat, and that 12" open-ended wrench, those pieces of rusty sheet metal, that tool box, everything in IT, that ammo can bolted to the floorboard(those things are good bludgeons), the lock on it (projectile!), my spare tire....

No no, please, I insist! After all, it's for your safety, right? *cue @#$%-eating grin*

Here, you can carry a Dana 35 axle, right? It's only 175 pounds!" :D