• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from Georgia

hammerg26

imported post

I am visiting from Georgia and have my GFL from Georgia and a CCW Permit from Florida (non-resident obviously). I thought about OC here in Michigan - anything I need to worry about?

Hammer

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

hammerg26 wrote:
I am visiting from Georgia and have my GFL from Georgia and a CCW Permit from Florida (non-resident obviously). I thought about OC here in Michigan - anything I need to worry about?

Hammer
Your Georgia CPL is recognized in Michigan. You can OC everywhere you are allowed to CC by Michigan law. The places you can not conceal are below. Having said that While OC is growing in Michigan many PD's are still not aware that it's legal or they do but discourage it. So you could have interaction with LEO's. Stay calm and inform them that it is legal and stand your ground...politely.

The Act also provides that a person who is issued a license under the Act may carry a concealed pistol "anywhere in this state" except in certain designated classes of locations listed in section 5o of the Act. Those exceptions, commonly referred to as "gun free zones," include the following:

a) A school or school property . . . .

b) A public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.

c) A sports arena or stadium.

d) A dining room, lounge, or bar area of a premises licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998 . . . . This subdivision shall not apply to an owner or employee of the premises.

e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

f) An entertainment facility [that has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more]....

g) A hospital.

h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

(At this time a college can have an ordinance that bans firearms so be carfull if visiting any college campus.)

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An individual licensed under this act who is a retired police officer or retired law enforcement officer. The concealed weapon licensing board may require a letter from the law enforcement agency stating that the retired police officer or law enforcement officer retired in good standing.

(b) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is employed or contracted by an entity described under subsection (1) to provide security services and is required by his or her employer or the terms of a contract to carry a concealed firearm on the premises of the employing or contracting entity.

(c) An individual who is licensed as a private investigator or private detective under the private detective license act, 1965 PA 285, MCL 338.821 to 338.851.

(d) Any of the following who is licensed under this act while on duty and in the course of his or her employment:

(i) A corrections officer of a county sheriff’s department.

(ii) A motor carrier officer or capitol security officer of the department of state police.

(iii) A member of a sheriff’s posse.

(iv) An auxiliary officer or reserve officer of a police or sheriff’s department.

(v) A parole or probation officer of the department of corrections.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Venator wrote:
hammerg26 wrote:

Hammer
<SNIP> "gun free zones," include the following:

a) A school or school property . . . .

b) A public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.

c) A sports arena or stadium.

d) A dining room, lounge, or bar area of a premises licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998 . . . . This subdivision shall not apply to an owner or employee of the premises.

e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

f) An entertainment facility [that has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more]....

g) A hospital.

h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

(Remember, I am not an attorney; the following is my opinion only.)

Also know that you can't carry concealed if your Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) is over .02.

Not that it won't be met with a call to the local PD, and there is a rumor of a court case to the contrary, a person licensed to carry concealed can OC in the above places.

Enjoy your visit!!

citation:

Opinion No. 7101
February 6, 2002

Jennifer Granholm
Attorney General for the State of Michigan

"It is my opinion, therefore, that a uniformed reserve police officer acting as an unpaid volunteer for a local police agency may carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act; and if the officer is either a fully authorized “peace officer” or, alternatively, possesses a valid concealed pistol license issued under the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, he or she may also carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Michigan Penal Code.

JENNIFER M. GRANHOLM
Attorney General