• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Completed my DCJS training on Friday

Pagan

imported post

Been going to school for armed security. We finally got to the fun stuff Friday, weapon qualifications!

I scored a 95.5% with my Ruger P93 DAO 9mm and scored a 100% with my Smith&Wesson model 3000 12 guage. The only other person to score a 100% with the shotgun was a former NYC police officer, yep i was feelin darn proud bout that one.

Considering my shotgun only has two pistol grips and no butt stock,lol, everyone else was using an 870 with full stock and fiber optic front sight. I had no butt stock and just a brass bead.

Just felt like bragging a little.:celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good show!

But why did you have to provide your own guns for DCJS training?

Almost without exception (none that I know of) depts. and companies want you trained/qualified with their issue guns.

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Good show!

Almost without exception (none that I know of) depts. and companies want you trained/qualified with their issue guns.

Yata hey
Ever heard of the Richmond City Sheriff's Office? They make you provide your own gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Good show!

Yata hey
Ever heard of the Richmond City Sheriff's Office? They make you provide your own gun.
I had no idea and it very much surprises me.

Still standardization is the norm is it not and surely the dept. provides ammunition. I could see some problems with liability if they did not set some parameters and control some uniformity.

In this case it would appear that the OP was using at least one gun that was very different from what the others were using. We all know the potential when non-standard weapons, ammo are inserted in the mix.

What's next? Providing your own vehicle and who will maintain it and to what standard?

Oh well, live and learn.

PS - Actually I carried my own personal gun when I was active but had to load with issued junk. Yes I did have to qualify with it as well as dept. issue and it required special authorization.

Yata hey

Pagan

imported post

I was in school for private armed security, and now I am just qualified with any 9mm semi auto and any 12 guage pump, I would not have to recertify simply using a different gun. The DCJS only wants you to use same caliber and action type, semi auto, revolver or pump but not DAO or single action specific.

Sheriff

imported post

In the early 70s when I first became a sworn deputy sheriff in Virginia, the only thing I was given was a take-home car,one badge, and $50 a year to purchase everything else I needed. Think about it..... $50 a year to purchase gun, gun belt, ammunition, handcuffs, shirts, pants, shoes, ties, jackets, coats, etc....

I therefore obviously ended up with a lot of shirts, pants and badges that I calculated I paid for myself. And I, to this day, still have them whether anybody likes it or not. I couldn't go all week on 2 shirts and 2 pairs of pants. At one point in time I got sick and tired of begging for patches every time I bought a new coat, jacket or shirt... I ordered 500 new patches and paid for them out of my own pocket too.

Even back in the early 90s, Ipurchased two way walkies out of my own funds, because we were given old worn out hand-me-down equipment from our local police department. I still have all this equipment too, whether anybody likes it or not. Oh yes, in 1997 it was claimed I had stolen some of this equipment. I sued the idiotsand won.

Sheriff

imported post

kenny wrote:
Gosh, they had cars back in the 70's!

Had real cars back in the early 70s. With the real Hemi engines,

not the wannabe-Hemi Chrysler makes now. :D

johnfenter

imported post

Well, sure, they had 426 Hemi engines, but not generally in police cars, which were equipped with 440 Police Interceptor engines. And the Hemi was gone after 1971; the 440 hung around until 1978.

Mind you, in some Western states, some enterprising departments with good shade tree mechanics dropped Hemi and Six-Pack engines into their pursuit cars.

Hey Sheriff, I've got a 73 Coronet 4 door; that bring back any memories?

Sheriff

imported post

johnfenter wrote:
Hey Sheriff, I've got a 73 Coronet 4 door; that bring back any memories?

Oh, yes! They were OK.

A girl I dated tricked her parents into buying her a 1969 Dodge Coronet. But she forgot to tell them it was theR/T model with the 440. I loved that car! :D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know what you guys are smokin'.

Chevy Caprices were the finest police cars ever made!!

(That ought to start some trouble. :D)

Rey

imported post

Sooooo....back to the OP's topic - I too finished my DCJS qual this Sunday, anddropped one round. And yes I took copious amounts of crap from my instructor who said he expected a perfect 300 from a Marine. He's retired Army, so the jarhead jokes were a'plenty. Good guy.

I made my fiance, Peaches, take it with me because I figured she could use the training. She was a competition shooter backin high school, but tactical shooting is a whole different ball game.

I made the mistake of telling the instructor about her former hobbyand he ended up betting anyone in the class that she would outshoot them. He didn't have any takers, but she was thoroughly embarassed. Hahaha. We had tickets to Shamrock Fest but she made me take her to the range to practice instead! Flush $45 tickets. But she did good. Out of a possible 300 she hit a 280. She wore her little pink t-shirt that says, "Why yes, I do shoot like a girl" and it has a bullseye with a tight group on it.

She's in the market for a Sig 9mm, so if there are any sellers in NoVA out there let me know. :)

Now I have to take the Advanced Handgun Course. I heard that course of fire is a b!tch to pass.

Pagan

imported post

You going into personal protection? The advance course is expensive, I want to take it also, I just need to wait for funds,lol. I am gonna take my SCOP course next though.

vt357

imported post

So what do you guys plan to do with your DCJS training? Have you already been hired by a security firm, and they are paying for the training? Or are you getting the training first then trying to get a job? I'm just curious. For my CHP training I took an armed security guard firearms class and enjoyed it.

Pagan

imported post

I took the course first and now need to find a job, well I don't "need" I am a stay at home dad that homeschools,I was thinking of doing some part time work just to have money for ammo and stuff, plus help with some bills. Plus I do volunteer work for the county, and serve as an election officer for the county,I just mainly want some spending money.

Raising and homeschooling 3 kids is a full time job I can assure you but security sounds like an exciting field too.

Pagan

imported post

Yeah S&W sold the rights to the gun to Mossberg in the 80's and for a while was produced as the Mossberg M-3000. It is basically a metric version of the 870, made in Japan, it is decent I guess, does the job.

vt357

imported post

Pagan wrote:
I took the course first and now need to find a job, well I don't "need" I am a stay at home dad that homeschools,I was thinking of doing some part time work just to have money for ammo and stuff, plus help with some bills. Plus I do volunteer work for the county, and serve as an election officer for the county,I just mainly want some spending money.

Raising and homeschooling 3 kids is a full time job I can assure you but security sounds like an exciting field too.
How long do you think it will take to recover the cost of the classes? I'm not exactly sure how much a job like that would pay. I have been thinking about doing the same as supplemental income. I haven't looked into it much past the training though.

Rey

imported post

Yeah, I just finished the PPS course. I've got my DCJS license and everything, just trying to get that Firearms Endorsement. The Advanced course is scheduled for April.