• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Completed my DCJS training on Friday

Pagan

imported post

Allthree classes I had to take to be Armed Security only cost me 230 bucks and 40 hours of my time. Should be a quick turn around, most armed guard jobsI see are offering between 12 and 20 bucks an hour. Depends on post and all.

I am actually going to apply for a job tonight at a so called "gentelman's club" that is seeking "professional security" the wife does not like it much,lol, bu hey it is a start.

Sheriff

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I don't know what you guys are smokin'.

Chevy Caprices were the finest police cars ever made!!

(That ought to start some trouble. :D)

Yeah, great car! If you didn't mind the water pumps going bad and flooding the opti-spark unit every 30,000 miles. Can you imagine such amanufacturing oversight, placing the LT-1 engine electronicsbehind the water pump of all places?

And just how much did Chevrolet care about the cop shoppe business? Well, I can tell you how much... theystopped production and retrofitted the assembly plant so as to build more pickemup trucks and extended cab pickemup trucks. Sales were better and the profit margin was better on pickemup trucks.

By the way, I never drove any Chevrolet Caprice that would do 155 mph to 160 mph right off the delivery truck. But a 1973 Plymouth Gran Fury I drove did. 155mph to 160 mph onInterstate 64 made it look about 15 feet wide. And the tires were not speed rated to what the car would actually do. Me and another deputy did it once, but we both agreed neither of us would ever do it again!!!:D

Sheriff

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I think people are going to flood the market here before longseeking personal protection type work.
Probably so. Just one example.... If Congress forces the release of the names of all the AIG employees would received a bonus from the taxpayer money bailout, those people will need personal protection rather fast. AIG refused to release the names for their ownsafety. Stupid crazy people would take it upon themselves to go after them, heck yes, I believe it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
snip.....
By the way, I never drove any Chevrolet Caprice that would do 155 mph to 160 mph right off the delivery truck. But a 1973 Plymouth Gran Fury I drove did. 155mph to 160 mph onInterstate 64 made it look about 15 feet wide. And the tires were not speed rated to what the car would actually do. Me and another deputy did it once, but we both agreed neither of us would ever do it again!!!:D
Top end had more to do with the with the rear end - ring/pinion gear ratio - than with the motor. Much depended upon how they were ordered/specified on build request.

The 426 hemi and 440 motors were very heavy and negatively effected handling so they were primarily straight line pursuit cars.

IMO - the last great mega motors were built in 1970. After that compression ratio, timing, cam lift et al were much detuned resulting in horsepower and torque decline.

Stock chassis, suspension and tires were not designed (even on most LE cars) to handle extreme high speeds. Takes some major mods and a really skilled driver to approach those limits.

Yata hey

Sheriff

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The 426 hemi and 440 motors were very heavy and negatively effected handling so they were primarily straight line pursuit cars.

Stock chassis, suspension and tires were not designed (even on most LE cars) to handle extreme high speeds. Takes some major mods and a really skilled driver to approach those limits.
Correct you are. Even at 155 mph to 160 mphon Interstate 64, we had no control over the car whatsoever thanks to what was calledsuspension and tires back then.

At the ripe old age of 20, I lost control of a black unmarked 1970 Plymouth Gran Fury 440 one evening on Route 250 West (golf course and Farmington area), and it was all I could do to get it back on dry pavement and survive. There's little doubt in my mind that God was my co-pilot that evening. There were trees with trunks 36" in diameter rushing by us at 100 mph. I learned respect for speed at a young age thanks to this one event.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

In the late '60s in Gloucester Co. a young man's father bought him a Dodge R/T 426 hemi w/4 speed - triple black. The very first day he owned it, he stopped and asked my if I'd like to go for a ride. Declined because there were already five in the vehicle and I needed to take care of some things.

Ten minutes later all five were dead + two others in the car he hit head on while trying to pass on the old two lane Rt. 17. Never have forgotten what would have been except for an invisible hand on my shoulder stopping me.

Yata hey

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Isn't life funny? I have the same thoughts daily about how I might not have had my accident had I made other choices. But we live and learn. At least I got to live. So sad they didn't...glad you did!