• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to start OCing in Cincy

spioi

imported post

ok so I took the biggest gun I had (RI 1911 with a muzzle brake and 10 round extened mag in the holster mag pocket) and OC'd near saint bernard. went to a used tire place to get my spare fixed then went to smythe auto on tennessee. I can see how easy it would be to forget I have it on but every so often my pants slipped to remind me.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

spioi wrote:
I'm sure he didn't do it by himself. I'm sure it's not as easy as just going to court and the judge saying it's not against the law and you walk away. I'm sure you have to prove it's legal and you did nothing wrong. a guy in cleveland got arrested for OC and had attorneys and got stuck with a lesser charge than the original even though he was doing nothing wrong. just because it's legal doesen't mean they won't try and stick something on you. this is what spooks me about OC.
You're sure about a lot of things, evidently. You're also misinformed (or uninformed).

There's a lot more to the Cleveland incident than you seem to recognize, and a lot less to the Mt. Healthy incident that you're so "sure" about. Courts don't operate the way you suppose either, btw.

I suggest you stick around and study things in greater depth before making such firm statements. Also, being better informed might keep you out of more trouble than necessary if/when you are stopped while OCing.

"just because it's legal doesen't mean they won't try and stick something on you. this is what spooks me about OC." - you are 100% dead-on accurate with these statements - that's why you need to take more time than you have to more fully educate yourself.

spioi

imported post

ok so I need to educate myself before I try and carry so I don't get into a mess.how much legal education is enough? I have a CCW but this isn't enough to keep me out of a jam. what else can I do without going to law school? it almost seems like more trouble than it's worth to carry a gun.

I don't want to think this freedom is a hopeless endeavor for me, I'm just trying to understand the legal dangers of excercising that freedom. I can't cite codes and laws to cops who stop me likesome ppl can. I just recently started carrying and while alot of ppl have been doing it for years and know their rights I'm new to this.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

spioi wrote:
ok so I need to educate myself before I try and carry so I don't get into a mess.how much legal education is enough? I have a CCW but this isn't enough to keep me out of a jam. what else can I do without going to law school? it almost seems like more trouble than it's worth to carry a gun.

I don't want to think this freedom is a hopeless endeavor for me, I'm just trying to understand the legal dangers of excercising that freedom. I can't cite codes and laws to cops who stop me likesome ppl can. I just recently started carrying and while alot of ppl have been doing it for years and know their rights I'm new to this.
A few suggestions...

You will never know it all, but you need to learn enough to keep yourself out of serious trouble. You also need tobe prepared to accept the consequences if you happen to be lawfully or unlawfully arrested.

First thing, don't put yourselfdown. Second, the best thing youcando for now is to read about the experiencesofothers all over the USwith regard to open carry.I do soby clicking on the main forum page, then clicking "Recent".

The first page (or nearly so) of recent threads listed are "stickied" threads, the remainder are non-stickied threads (notice the slight background color difference). Just read, and ask questions - but don't start asking questions because you're too lazy to read (NO, I'm not suggesting you have done so).

btw, I can't cite codes either like others can. Don't sweat it. An attitude of assurance, which you will gain with knowledge, goes a long way. Still, there are LEOs out there who are mis/uninformed, or intent on enforcing their beliefs rather than the law - they will act as they care to regardless of your level of knowledge, or what the law actually is. Don't count on winning on the scene, but if an unlawful arrest follows, your chances of winning meaningful compensation for the violation of your rights increases dramatically.

Get a voice recorder and use it when you are OCing.

Finally, there are open carry meetings every month in Dayton. Think about attending one.

spioi

imported post

I just read that semi auto pistols are illegal in cincinnati city limits as are barbed bullets( bullets that expand and have barbed tips like a flower). I been carrying a 1911. glad I didn't get stopped. now I gotta resort to a wheel gun.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

spioi wrote:
I just read that semi auto pistols are illegal in cincinnati city limits as are barbed bullets( bullets that expand and have barbed tips like a flower). I been carrying a 1911. glad I didn't get stopped. now I gotta resort to a wheel gun.
You are kidding, right?????

spioi

imported post

I'm trying to find where I saw it. ok. I looked and saw another post saying HB347 negated the law. sorry for inducing panic mode

smoking357

Banned
imported post

color of law wrote:
The ORC does not define the term concealed or open carry. The courts have defined it, being discernible to the average person. So if it is your word against the LEO's word, who wins???????
The citizen's, obviously. The cop has the burden of proof. Mere testimony isn't enough, and a cop isn't an "average person," so his opinion is skewed.

Further, cops are widely known to lie to obtain convictions, so a cop should be seen as less honest than a citizen.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

spioi wrote:
Youread wrong - not that Cincinnati won't try to tell you otherwise.

Barbed bullets? How about "hollow points" -which are not illegal in Cincinnati any more than breathing is.

Faitmaker

imported post

BB62 wrote
btw - don't count on the authorities to interpret things in your favor, and whatever you do, don't OC in Cincinnati!!

As OC is legal in all cities in Ohio, I presume this was said "tongue in cheek"? I realize that life is a bit more difficult down in your neck of the woods, but you OC there, right?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Faitmaker wrote:
BB62 wrote
btw - don't count on the authorities to interpret things in your favor, and whatever you do, don't OC in Cincinnati!!
As OC is legal in all cities in Ohio, I presume this was said "tongue in cheek"? I realize that life is a bit more difficult down in your neck of the woods, but you OC there, right?
Noticethe "hehe" in the line following your partial quote (for which "..." is useful) of my previous post.

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

color of law wrote:
spioi wrote:
You are kidding, right?????
Just slightly misinformed.

Cincinnati refuses to accept that they are bound by the restrictions in 9.68. They believe that their city-specific ordinances still stand (one of the reasons they haven't bothered to take them off the books).

Cincinnati ordinance 708-37 prohibits the possession or sale of semi-automatic firearms. Semi-auto handguns covered under this ordinance are those that were originally designed to accept (or are currently loaded with) magazines with a capacity of greater than fifteen rounds. A Glock 17 would fit the bill, as would a Springfield XD-9. No doubt you can think of plenty of other examples.

JSK333

imported post

I've had no trouble with legal OC'ing in Cincinnati and surrounding township suburbs. The only issue was before our CHL law passed, when I OC'ed in my local mall and did not see the "no weapons" line on their list of 20+ rules, posted inside one entrance. But that was cleared up and I left without any legal issue.

If the higher-ups in Cincy are trying to keep their illegal laws on the books, they must not have told all the LEOs about it. Because I have been in the presence of several with my G20 when OC'ing and they have not approached me.

One even gave me a ride in his cruiser before the CHL law passed, in order to get to the rest of the people involved in an open carry walk in Clifton. Very cool!

I know BB62 had one bad run-in in Colerain or Green Twp., but he was able to walk away with no legal issues. And that was years ago. I would think most LEOs in Cincy know what's up by this point.

Legba

imported post

I remember the Clifton open carry walk. The police were civil, if not entirely sympathetic. Well done.

-ljp

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

color of law wrote:
Usually someone that lives in Ohio, but gets a Florida license has a drug conviction.
Huh?

Drug convictions are no less of a disqualifier for a CCW here.... Says so right on the application, too.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jabeatty wrote:
ixtow wrote:
color of law wrote:
Usually someone that lives in Ohio, but gets a Florida license has a drug conviction.
Huh?

Drug convictions are no less of a disqualifier for a CCW here.... Says so right on the application, too.
So Florida also has a lifetime disqualification for simple possession convictions?
So far as I know, but I haven't looked into it. It doesn't apply to me. ;-) The application asks if you have been convicted of any drug crime. I have one right in front of me and I'm looking at it. Why would they ask if it didn't matter? Why would you say yes if you knew?

:p