Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Guns at the Dinner table

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    slc, Utah, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Had dinner the other night at a friends house (his wife and 3 kids) and I have been OC'ing for a while now. My buddy is very comfortable with guns and I knew he wouldn't get bugged if I carried in his home.

    We sat down. Said grace. And then started to eat. Then my buddy turns to me, "oh hey you brought your glock! How cool!"

    His wife leans over to peer at my hip. "Do you have a license for that?"

    I asked, "what license? like a drivers license but for guns?"

    We had a good talk. She asked why I was carrying and I asked her how long she lived in the neighborhood. Nuff said.

    We talked about guns all through dinner and everyone made some good points. Then she asked me if I wore it to feel tough. I said, "Honestly at the end of the day, if i can protect my family that will make me feel better then feeling 'tough' around the neighborhood. (sidenote; I don't strut with my gun down the sidewalks).

    At the end of the night she understood where i was coming from and it turned out to be very positive. Honestly I know the family well and knew they wouldn't be uncomfortable, but then again I could have pinged my buddy before.

    could a, should a, would a....

  2. #2
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    teleknees wrote:
    I asked, "what license? like a drivers license but for guns?"


    Then she asked me if I wore it to feel tough.
    Was she surprised to learn that there is no such thing as a "gun license"?

    Feel tough? I can kill a man with a paperclip and and a stick of bubblegum! I carry a gun because I'm lazy. :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, ,
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    teleknees wrote:
    His wife leans over to peer at my hip. "Do you have a license for that?"

    I asked, "what license? like a drivers license but for guns?"

    We had a good talk. She asked why I was carrying and I asked her how long she lived in the neighborhood. Nuff said...

    We talked about guns all through dinner and everyone made some good points. Then she asked me if I wore it to feel tough...
    First they show their ignorance of laws... and then they resort to "name calling".

    I wish people would KNOW what they are talking about. I swear today people are more inclined to talk about anything and everything that they know nothing about and not even wait for someone to correct them. Once they are corrected they will demand "proof" and even then most will not adjust the way they have been programmed, or programmed themselves, to think.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    slc, Utah, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    FOR REAL !!!!

    4 break-ins in the last couple months in are area...with guns.

    uhm doy! Course I'm going to carry a gun. So your telling me when the bad men show up your going to say, "Oh hey! hmmm don't have a gun, cuz i dont have my license...so please goto the next house!"

    Seriously. Tried not to be frustrated in my original post but it seriously ticked me off. But that is todays generation. I know all. I want it now. Everything is fine. blah blah blah

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
    teleknees wrote:
    His wife leans over to peer at my hip. "Do you have a license for that?"

    I asked, "what license? like a drivers license but for guns?"

    We had a good talk. She asked why I was carrying and I asked her how long she lived in the neighborhood. Nuff said...

    We talked about guns all through dinner and everyone made some good points. Then she asked me if I wore it to feel tough...
    First they show their ignorance of laws... and then they resort to "name calling".

    I wish people would KNOW what they are talking about. I swear today people are more inclined to talk about anything and everything that they know nothing about and not even wait for someone to correct them. Once they are corrected they will demand "proof" and even then most will not adjust the way they have been programmed, or programmed themselves, to think.
    Here was a prime example of a person who did not know the law and asking a question about something that they had no idea about. A truly first class case to help someone learn the truth. What do they get but a smart aleck answer making fun of them for not knowing and someone on an Internet board expecting every person in the world to be as knowlegeable as they are about. If it had been me asking the question with such an answer I may have told you to get the heck out of my house for making fun of me. The name calling started with the OP, not the wife.

    When asked that questionhe could have said, "Actually no license is required" and gon on to explain. Insteadhe tried to make her feel like an idiot and yes sounded like walking around with a gun onhis hip madehim feel big. People need to be educated, not made fun of for asking questions. As a wise man once said to me, "Are you ignorant or an idiot?". If you are ignorant we can fix that but if you are an idiot there is little hope. Let's treat people as ignorant rather than idiots.

    Things seemed to turn out well but everyone is not as happy with guns or as educated on gun laws as the majority on this board and there is no use to make fun of them for not knowing unless they refuse to learn. In this case she didn't refuse.

    <rant off>

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    slc, Utah, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    hey man totally get your rant. for the record i didn't go off on her.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
    SNIP I wish people would KNOW what they are talking about. I swear today people are more inclined to talk about anything and everything that they know nothing about and not even wait for someone to correct them.
    There is a bright side. At least you know where they stand. If they kept quiet you would not know. And would not who to persuade.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    slc, Utah, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    yeah im not complaining. I think whats his face who thought I screamed and made fun of a grown woman for 45 min. thinks Im out to make people feel dumb. We had a really good talk about guns and no feelings were hurt. When I said "like a drivers license" I wasn't being condescending I was trying to understand her and also help her understand about the law. Hey dude pt111 (or whatever), you really think people do that?

    I do appreciate people who tell me how they feel, I just thought it was interesting how people view the issue and how this turned out to be a positive response. Now for someone to say I carry to look tough....whatevs, I'm over it. But it goes both ways.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    teleknees wrote:
    I asked, "what license? like a drivers license but for guns?"


    Then she asked me if I wore it to feel tough.
    Was she surprised to learn that there is no such thing as a "gun license"?

    Feel tough? I can kill a man with a paperclip and and a stick of bubblegum! I carry a gun because I'm lazy. :P
    Best. Statement. Ever.:what::celebrate

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    slc, Utah, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    cheers to that!

    "guns don't kill people. I kill people."

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    chuck norrisOC's index fingers... he just points and says"BANG" and that is that...

  12. #12
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Chuck Norris doesn't believe in Germany.......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •