• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help?

Chkultr

imported post

Can/will anyone be able to tell me if it is legal/illegal to carry with a magazine that has 16 plus rounds..

I know you can buy the hi cap mags and even buy the new Springfield with 19+1.

Thanks

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Chkultr wrote:
Can/will anyone be able to tell me if it is legal/illegal to carry with a magazine that has 16 plus rounds..

Thanks

Any magazine20 rounds or underis legal, without a CHP.

If you have a CHP, you can carry more than a 20 round mag.

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

fire_man2340

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Chkultr wrote:

Thanks

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
If I dont have a CHP can I still carry my gun around Loaded, I only have a 10round clip, and i Open Carry

fire_man2340

imported post

Alright Thank You, I just wanted to make sure because some of my friends say yes and no but they dont carry they keep there's at home, So i wanted to check with other's to make sure so i know if i need to stop.

Bubba Ron

imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
Alright Thank You, I just wanted to make sure because some of my friends say yes and no but they dont carry they keep there's at home, So i wanted to check with other's to make sure so i know if i need to stop.
Do yourself a HUGE favor and check this site for what you can and can't do in Virginia related to firearms: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm While most of the informationon OCDOis spot on, always go to the definitive source. Saying "I read it on an internet forum" won't cut it in a court of law.

Neplusultra

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Chkultr wrote:

Thanks

Don't forget about the threaded muzzle/folding stock clause too! but also note that these restrictions only apply in certain urban localities too..... Where I live I'm good to go.

paramedic70002

imported post

33 round Glock.

45 acp drum mag for 1911 holds how many? Yeas I know nearly impossible to holster!

Of course your spare mag can be a yardstick, just not the one in the hole.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Either my AR15 .223 pistol or my AR15 9mm pistol take mags of over 20 rounds. They can be a little cumbersome to conceal though it is possible.

leprechaun117

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Either my AR15 .223 pistol or my AR15 9mm pistol take mags of over 20 rounds.  They can be a little cumbersome to conceal though it is possible.

Ha, I meant mags over 20rds that a reasonable person would actually carry. 20 is the most I know of that fits flush in the grip of the gun.

mobeewan

imported post

STI 2011 in 9 mm, 38 super, 9mm x 23 & .40can hold20 or more.

120mm Magazine Capacities 9mm/ 9mmx23/ .38 -20 rounds, .40 cal. - 17 rounds

170mm Magazine Capacities 9mm/ 9mmx23/ .38 - 26 rounds, .40 cal. -22 rounds

Marco

imported post

The FN 5.7 has a 30rd mag that is available.
There are also extenders that can be had for many different magazines that will send the rd count >20.

The extenders can add 4-7 rounds depending on caliber.

Arredondo makes a quality product, imho.

curtiswr

imported post

hlh wrote:
Here's another somewhat related question: am I legal to have in my car, or on my person, concealed or unconcealed, an AR15 loaded with 30 rounds with a CCW license?
I don't think so for the concealed part. In VA it's called specifically a Concealed Handgun Permit; I think for that very reason. But then again it does mention centerfire rifles and the whole not applying to CHP holders thing...

mobeewan

imported post

hlh wrote:
Here's another somewhat related question: am I legal to have in my car, or on my person, concealed or unconcealed, an AR15 loaded with 30 rounds with a CCW license?
Unconcealed only unless properly secured while unloaded.Some cities/counties have reguleations allowed by the state dealing with not being able to transport loaded rifles or shotguns during hunting seasons. Muzzle loaders can be loaded but must be uncapped.