• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help?

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mobeewan wrote:
hlh wrote:
Here's another somewhat related question:  am I legal to have in my car, or on my person, concealed or unconcealed, an AR15 loaded with 30 rounds with a CCW license?
Unconcealed only unless properly secured while unloaded. Some cities/counties have reguleations allowed by the state dealing with not being able to transport loaded rifles or shotguns during hunting seasons. Muzzle loaders can be loaded but must be uncapped.

This is the correct answer. You can't just read one statute and think you know what the law is. The statute that criminalizes possession of a concealed weapon applies to all firearms and makes an exception for handguns with permits.

Neplusultra

imported post

user wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
hlh wrote:
Here's another somewhat related question: am I legal to have in my car, or on my person, concealed or unconcealed, an AR15 loaded with 30 rounds with a CCW license?
Unconcealed only unless properly secured while unloaded.Some cities/counties have reguleations allowed by the state dealing with not being able to transport loaded rifles or shotguns during hunting seasons. Muzzle loaders can be loaded but must be uncapped.

This is the correct answer. You can't just read one statute and think you know what the law is. The statute that criminalizes possession of a concealed weapon applies to all firearms and makes an exception for handguns with permits.
My preferred conceal carry handgun, with 30 rnd magazine :D

Neplusultra

imported post

Riana wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
My preferred conceal carry handgun, with 30 rnd magazine :D
:what:Good grief! Pray tell, just how big is the tent you have to wear to conceal that???
Ha! Have yet, and will probably never CC it. I invited what I thought was a friend out to shoot it not too long after the Tech shooting. He got all excited and called the police. I in fact coincendentally just read the email in which I invited him a few minutes ago. NOTHING but grace, and of course my avatar photo :^).

Anyway two FBI agents, an ATF agent and a Blacksburg Homicide Detective came out to visit me the next day. We chatted for three hours and their conclusion was that the guy overreacted. They told me the only reason they came out was because it was only a few weeks after the shooting. I joked with them how much fun it was to shoot the gun due to the concussion from the muzzle blast (REALLY loud!) and that it was technically a pistol so could be CCed. One of the FBI agents joked back that you could carry it under a black trenchcoat. Everyone, including myself, noted the similarity to Columbine so no one said anything in reply :^)

Still one of my favorite photos. It was taken by a UK Mirror photographer a few weeks after the shooting at the Blacksburg range. I burned through an entire 30rd magazine so he could get this one photo which appeared in the Mirror a few days later. They called me a firearms "expert"!! Ha! My reply to the reporter by email was that I took it that anyone with more than one gun was an expert in the UK. No reponse from him......

BTW: The muzzle flash is half out in this photo, it's actually much bigger overall :^). Since it only lasts for a millisecond or so it was hard for the photographer to "catch" it. This was the best one. When I saw it as he panned through all 40 shots I said, "That's the one!" and it was :^).