• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan member arrested for disobeying LEO.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Sounds like to me..

Illegal police order to leave.

Illegal removal of Pats sidearm.

Therefore illegal arrest, and he had every right to resist an illegal arrest.

Why can't cops just leave people alone.

If anyone saved the original post I would like to read it. Please PM it to me.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dougwg wrote:
Sounds like to me..

Illegal police order to leave.

Illegal removal of Pats sidearm.

Therefore illegal arrest, and he had every right to resist an illegal arrest.

Why can't cops just leave people alone.

If anyone saved the original post I would like to read it. Please PM it to me.

You need to post this on the original thread linked above. I doubt anyone on the Michigan forum would have it. I will be in the field next week working on N Meridian road in this very township, weird.

Scooter123

imported post

Just a bit of background on this particular arrest.

Todd Sanford, the man who comitted suicide, shot himself in the head with a 44 caliber handgun. he did this when approached by a county sheriff deputy who was going to arrest him for Murder.

Todd Sanford had an arrest warrant pending for an open murder charge. He had shot a man, Steven Sampier, who was dating his ex-girlfriend. He shot Steven Sampier at the Sampier residence once in the back and once in the back of the head. Todd then set fire to the home in an effort to cover up the evidence. He later confessed the killing to his ex girlfriend. I suspect that he may have also confessed to some others because the media reported that he was rumored to be Mr. Sampier's killer for several weeks before the warrant ws issued. He also left a video tape confession of the killing at his residence and swore that he would take a lot of cops with him before he comitted suicide.

Todd Sanford was a very close friend of Patrick as well as Patrick's business partner. Todd Sanford was also an ex State Trooper for the state of Michigan. He found that job boring and moved on to owning a night club. He was also well regarded by his neighbors and many business owners nearby. So, he wasn't a "monster" but was someone who probably should have sought some mental health care.

I've posted this background information so that you all may be made aware that this was a very emotionally charged situation. According to the news reports, Patrick was told not once, but twice, to vacate the scene, after which things turned into a wrestling match. I cannot say if the order to leave was a lawful order, however I do believe that it would have been in Patrick's best interest to have complied. Because of the background of rumors concerning the Steven Sampier killing and his business partner's involvement, I suspect that Patrick felt a great deal of animosity towrds the Jackson PD, I have no doubt that some of the Jackson PD was the source of some of the rumors. I suspect that today Patrick feels even more animosity. Which will do nothing to get the charges that he is facing dropped.

So, this is not a typical cop vs. Open Carry arrest. It was a very emotionally charged confrontation with a bit of history, andprobably animosity present on both sides. What Patrick should have done was leave when he was first told to leave. Instead, he chose to grab a video camera and film the "action", and that action that was almost sure to lead to an escalation, given the back story. As my father always told me, "two wrongs don't make a right", and in this case both sides were probably Wrong to some degree.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Scooter123 wrote:
Just a bit of background on this particular arrest.

Todd Sanford, the man who comitted suicide, shot himself in the head with a 44 caliber handgun. he did this when approached by a county sheriff deputy who was going to arrest him for Murder.

Todd Sanford had an arrest warrant pending for an open murder charge. He had shot a man, Steven Sampier, who was dating his ex-girlfriend. He shot Steven Sampier at the Sampier residence once in the back and once in the back of the head. Todd then set fire to the home in an effort to cover up the evidence. He later confessed the killing to his ex girlfriend. I suspect that he may have also confessed to some others because the media reported that he was rumored to be Mr. Sampier's killer for several weeks before the warrant ws issued. He also left a video tape confession of the killing at his residence and swore that he would take a lot of cops with him before he comitted suicide.

Todd Sanford was a very close friend of Patrick as well as Patrick's business partner. Todd Sanford was also an ex State Trooper for the state of Michigan. He found that job boring and moved on to owning a night club. He was also well regarded by his neighbors and many business owners nearby. So, he wasn't a "monster" but was someone who probably should have sought some mental health care.

I've posted this background information so that you all may be made aware that this was a very emotionally charged situation. According to the news reports, Patrick was told not once, but twice, to vacate the scene, after which things turned into a wrestling match. I cannot say if the order to leave was a lawful order, however I do believe that it would have been in Patrick's best interest to have complied. Because of the background of rumors concerning the Steven Sampier killing and his business partner's involvement, I suspect that Patrick felt a great deal of animosity towrds the Jackson PD, I have no doubt that some of the Jackson PD was the source of some of the rumors. I suspect that today Patrick feels even more animosity. Which will do nothing to get the charges that he is facing dropped.

So, this is not a typical cop vs. Open Carry arrest. It was a very emotionally charged confrontation with a bit of history, andprobably animosity present on both sides. What Patrick should have done was leave when he was first told to leave. Instead, he chose to grab a video camera and film the "action", and that action that was almost sure to lead to an escalation, given the back story. As my father always told me, "two wrongs don't make a right", and in this case both sides were probably Wrong to some degree.

It's my understanding that Patrick did not compromise the secured area during this event. If that's the case, I see no reason--lawful or not--for the arrest based on the accusation Patrick refused to leave. I ask this, would the deputy(s) arrestthe reporter(s) from channel 2 news, for example,for video taping this event?

I do agree that Patrick should not have resisted, but he was the only member here at OCDO who knows exactly what took place and the only one here who lost a friend and business partner. I'll also agree, that Patrick's actions that day will make the road to having charges dropped very rough and chuck-holed.

Tucker6900

imported post

"Colligan, Sanford's business partner, is also in trouble with the law; Wednesday he showed up to the crime scene armed and aggressive"

Wow. Way to spin the tale.

Patrick

imported post

I would like nothing more than to tell everyone here exactly what happened but I can't do that right now due to my upcoming trial. There is some very interesting details that I'm sure will come up during the course of my trial that will shed a whole lot of light on this situation. Stay tuned.

Patrick