• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wrongful Arrest?

EM87

imported post

I should preface my questions with a little information about myself since this is my first post here. I am 21 years old, and as of last week am the proud new owner of a Glock 22. My CPL is on its way (2-3 months they told me when I turned in the application!) so if I want to carry, it will be openly for now. I am new to open carry in the sense that I have only done it once (last night around the neighborhood) but I have been following this forum for a few months now in order to gather all the legal information I can.

My first question is, has anyone on this forum been wrongfully arrested, and if so, what did you do about it? I have a friend who's just getting into handguns, so naturally I began to educate him on open carry. He was telling me that if he was wrongfully arrested that he would "...sue for a million dollars." I don't think that would be the case, so my second question is, what could you actually get out of a wrongful arrest?

Thanks!
-EM

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

EM87 wrote:
I should preface my questions with a little information about myself since this is my first post here. I am 21 years old, and as of last week am the proud new owner of a Glock 22. My CPL is on its way (2-3 months they told me when I turned in the application!) so if I want to carry, it will be openly for now. I am new to open carry in the sense that I have only done it once (last night around the neighborhood) but I have been following this forum for a few months now in order to gather all the legal information I can.

My first question is, has anyone on this forum been wrongfully arrested, and if so, what did you do about it? I have a friend who's just getting into handguns, so naturally I began to educate him on open carry. He was telling me that if he was wrongfully arrested that he would "...sue for a million dollars." I don't think that would be the case, so my second question is, what could you actually get out of a wrongful arrest?

Thanks!
-EM
One person on this forum was wrongfully arrested in Grand Haven he filed a Federal civil rights violation lawsuit.

If you go to the National forum you will read stories of law suits, Virgina, Pennsylvania, Louisiana and maybe soon Wisconsin. Awards have been from $10,000 and up. One guy in Louisiana got enough to buy a couple of new motorcycles.

But the goal is to not get arrested and to follow the law. Be sure you are VERY familiar with the laws that pertain to firearms and handguns in particular. When you get your CPL OCing becomes much easier.

Tucker6900

imported post

Venator wrote:
One person on this forum was wrongfully arrested in Grand Haven he filed a Federal civil rights violation lawsuit.

If you go to the National forum you will read stories of law suits, Virgina, Pennsylvania, Louisiana and maybe soon Wisconsin. Awards have been from $10,000 and up. One guy in Louisiana got enough to buy a couple of new motorcycles.

But the goal is to not get arrested and to follow the law. Be sure you are VERY familiar with the laws that pertain to firearms and handguns in particular. When you get your CPL OCing becomes much easier.

+1

If you look around on here youll find numerous stories and articles on the subject.

EM87

imported post

Thanks, Venator for the clarification of the goal of open carry. I completely agree with you and am in no way going to try to instigate an arrest. My friend is the one who seems to think that that would be worth his time and money. I'm going to be talking some sense into him before he gets a gun, so there's no need to worry. As you said, it is a good idea to become very familiar with the laws concerning OC/CC. The good news is that I am. I've learned a lot since I began frequenting this forum. Thanks for the response!

DanM

imported post

EM87 wrote:
My friend is the one who seems to think that [instigating a wrongful arrest] would be worth his time and money. I'm going to be talking some sense into him before he gets a gun, so there's no need to worry.
If you want to counsel your friend against doing something unethical, why in your original post would you ask for information on how much could be earned from the unethical act? Seems to me, your first point of order would be asking for feedback on arguments you could present to him in counseling him against the unethical act, not asking about how much he might be able to make based on what others have been awardedin being honestly wrongfully arrested. Maybe I'm wrong, but something smells slightly.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

DanM wrote:
EM87 wrote:
My friend is the one who seems to think that [instigating a wrongful arrest] would be worth his time and money. I'm going to be talking some sense into him before he gets a gun, so there's no need to worry.
If you want to counsel your friend against doing something unethical, why in your original post would you ask for information on how much could be earned from the unethical act? Seems to me, your first point of order would be asking for feedback on arguments you could present to him in counseling him against the unethical act, not asking about how much he might be able to make based on what others have been awardedin being honestly wrongfully arrested. Maybe I'm wrong, but something smells slightly.
I think he just wants a more ethical and reasonable number to throw back at his buddy that thinks it's a get rich quick act.

EM87

imported post

Thanks, Doug. That's one of my reasons for asking, I just didn't enunciate the point clearly. As well as being able to give my friend a more accurate number, I was also just personally curious. I like to have as much information at my disposal as possible, whether it seems relevant at the time or not. Someday this seemingly useless information may prove to be useful.

DanM

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Thanks, Doug. That's one of my reasons for asking, I just didn't enunciate the point clearly. As well as being able to give my friend a more accurate number, I was also just personally curious. I like to have as much information at my disposal as possible, whether it seems relevant at the time or not. Someday this seemingly useless information may prove to be useful.

Ok, I understand.

Here's what I stilldon't understand.Why are you even friends with a guy who is such a"get-rich-quick" schemer? Nothing wrong with getting rich, but that guy's way of thinking about going about itmakes him sound like a wannabecon artist. Don't you worry you could be unknowingly criminally implicatedin some otherkooky get-rich-quick schemeof his you don't know about. . . or worse yet, hisvictim?

It sounds like being a friend of his has some risks to it. Have you considered them?

SQLtables

imported post

DanM wrote:
EM87 wrote:

Ok, I understand.

Here's what I stilldon't understand.Why are you even friends with a guy who is such a"get-rich-quick" schemer? Nothing wrong with getting rich, but that guy's way of thinking about going about itmakes him sound like a wannabecon artist. Don't you worry you could be unknowingly criminally implicatedin some otherkooky get-rich-quick schemeof his you don't know about. . . or worse yet, hisvictim?

It sounds like being a friend of his has some risks to it. Have you considered them?
What?

EM87

imported post

DanM wrote:
EM87 wrote:

Ok, I understand.

Here's what I still don't understand.  Why are you even friends with a guy who is such a "get-rich-quick" schemer?  Nothing wrong with getting rich, but that guy's way of thinking about going about it makes him sound like a wannabe con artist.  Don't you worry you could be unknowingly criminally implicated in some other kooky get-rich-quick scheme of his you don't know about . . . or worse yet, his victim?

It sounds like being a friend of his has some risks to it.  Have you considered them?

I think that this has been over-thought. This friend of mine is a good person who means well, not the kind of person you'd find lurking in dark corners late at night trying to scam people out of money. He's no 'get-rich-quick' schemer. He mentions it in the way that 'someone could get away with this if they wanted to', not as the kind of thing he would actually attempt. If you knew him you'd know that he wouldn't actually try to do this. I've been friends with him for many years and he's not the scamming kind. Dan, I understand your concern as I may have chosen poor wording to describe my friend, but I can assure you that this will not develop.

EDIT: Looking back at what I actually said in my second post, I realize that I was completely off base when I said that my friend thought it would be worth his time and money to get arrested unlawfully. It was an idea in passing for someone with lower moral standards, not something that he would ever do. Thinking back on the situation, those words didn't even come out of his mouth; I paraphrased his statement in a way that made him seem like a person he's not. I apologize for the terribly skewed statement that I made in my second post.

DanM

imported post

EM87 wrote:
...I paraphrased his statement in a way that made him seem like a person he's not. I apologize for the terribly skewed statement that I made in my second post.
With that and

EM87 wrote:
I'm going to be talking some sense into him before he gets a gun

I felt a real concern aboutyour friend, as described,getting out there and reflecting poorly upon gun owners/carriers, as well as your choice--assuming you're a responsible gun owner--to associate with him. Glad you cleared that up about your friend. Hope you guys choose to attend one of our get-togethers, if it's convenient to you. Lawful carry (either CC or OC) is optional.