• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New update on Kroger's carry policy

mercutio545

imported post

Since my previous thread got out of control and was locked (seems to happen all the time around here :D), I thought I would give an update to the whole Kroger carry situation. I got around to calling corporate, and the representative said that Kroger has a nationwide policy that does not allow carry of any kind (concealed OR open).

I asked him what the reasoning was behind it, and he went on about how dangerous it was if everyone could carry, and how there would be so many more store shootings, etc. I then asked him if he knew that criminals still carry anyway. He didn't have much to say about that.

So how do we get this store chain on the VCDL no-go list? I think from now on I'll drive the extra 5 minutes and start shopping at Ukrops. I'd rather give my $300-$400 a month in shopping expenses to a place that appreciates my rights.

Previous thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17003&forum_id=54&highlight=kicked+out+of+kroger

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I carry in Kroger all the time and have never had an issue.

Yeah, but your big enough to scare all those store managers. They just say, "give him what he wants and don't make him mad".:celebrate

NLHopkins

imported post

I carry in Kroger a few times a week here in Lynchburg at both locations and never a problem. A security guard at a Kroger in this area actually asked me to leave once though. I simply called the management and they verified with the other store in the area that it was ok to carry. I returned the next day.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yeah, but your big enough to scare all those store managers. They just say, "give him what he wants and don't make him mad".:celebrate

haha, well, the clerk last week did try (meekly) to argue with me about my $20 off coupon. When I demanded the manager, she ran right over and took the $20 off my bill.

A month ago, one of the bag boys asked me about the perimt process and some advice on guns. I've never had an issue. I think you guys having problems must just look shady, hehe :)

essayons

imported post

As discussed here before much of it comes down to appearance. A middle-aged clean cut man in khakis or 5.11s and a polo shirt (especially one with a spiffy firearms related logo) and a handgun on his hip isn't going to draw as much attention as a 20 something guy with a scraggly beard, dirty jeans and a t-shirt.

Its a socially acceptable form of civil rights discrimination.

(Not to say that you won't get hassled by some nincompoop even if you are well dressed)

mercutio545

imported post

essayons wrote:
As discussed here before much of it comes down to appearance. A middle-aged clean cut man in khakis or 5.11s and a polo shirt (especially one with a spiffy firearms related logo) and a handgun on his hip isn't going to draw as much attention as a 20 something guy with a scraggly beard, dirty jeans and a t-shirt.

Its a socially acceptable form of civil rights discrimination.

(Not to say that you won't get hassled by some nincompoop even if you are well dressed)
20 something. Regulation high and tight, polo shirt, jeans. I don't think they care too much about appearance. LEO saw a gun. I'm sure he would have said something regardless.

Anyway, this is apparently the corporate policy. Since I can't carry there, I'll just go to Ukrops.

HeroHog

imported post

Mine (Staunton, VA) has no signs and I CCW there all the time. I don't open carry much as it is uncomfortable and inaccessible in a wheelchair (I use a holster bag).

mercutio545

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
My Kroger has never said a word to me...you should shop there.
Which one do you shop at?

Oh, and now that I know the corporate policy, wouldn't I be trespassing if I was carrying there?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I OC in the Kroger at Willow Lawn and the one near VCU routinely and have never had a problem. Do I scare the store managers - hope not.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
My Kroger has never said a word to me...you should shop there.
Which one do you shop at?

Oh, and now that I know the corporate policy, wouldn't I be trespassing if I was carrying there?
Not really. Last I heard, corp. policy was a-ok.

FWIW, Kroger tried to pull this BS about five years ago...
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/1394

and quickly changed their minds in about four days...
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/modules.php?&file=article&sid=1400

That's a not-so-subtle hint as to what you should be doing right now. ;)

Butlerite

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I OC in the Kroger at Willow Lawn and the one near VCU routinely and have never had a problem. Do I scare the store managers - hope not.

Yata hey
You scare me!!!! :cool:

BlvdRider

imported post

I know for a fact that it doesn't matter. I worked for Kroger for 21/2 years as loss prevention and several of us carried. I even worked in the local corporate office area store.

They dissolved the positions so now the crooks have the run of the stores.

I cc at mine with no problem.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PA-Carry wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Yah but you know me well enough to have seen the real me. :)

Yat hey

Neplusultra

imported post

PA-Carry wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
Yeah, his gun's so big he has to haul it on a trailer!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
PA-Carry wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
Yeah, his gun's so big he has to haul it on a trailer!
Appreciate the endorsement. :lol:

This is my rifle, this is my gun.....etc. etc.

Actually I do have a trailer but I reserve it for bulk ammo purchases.

Yata hey