• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winchester Ranger HPs

Chaingun81

imported post

I bought Winchester Ranger HP ammo in a local store -a box of 9mm back in september and a box of 45 ACP about a month later. I like the deal a lot as it comes in 50rd box which is unusual for SD HP ammo which normally comes in 20 or 25rd box andthe price for 50 rd box wasonly about 25-50% higher than any other HPs in 20-25rd boxes. I asked the guy in the store how it compares to say Speer Gold Dots or other more traditional HP ammo and he said that it's just as good. He also said that it came from some police surplus and that's why it was cheaper, but he guarnateed that it's still fresh. At home i noticed that on about 75% of these rounds there is something stuck in around the primer rim, something that looks like grains of powder of greyish-greenish color. I was a little worried so i took both boxes to the range and fired about 10 random rounds from each box - all went off fine. However, i never seen anything like that on any other ammo, including cheap ball rounds. Other than that all rounds look fresh - copper jacketing is light orange and brass is spotless. Anyone esle seen anything like that? What do you think that can be? Should i be worried about it? Any feedback on Winchester Ranger in general?

Chaingun81

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
I bought Winchester Ranger HP ammo in a local store -a box of 9mm back in september and a box of 45 ACP about a month later. I like the deal a lot as it comes in 50rd box which is unusual for SD HP ammo which normally comes in 20 or 25rd box andthe price for 50 rd box wasonly about 25-50% higher than any other HPs in 20-25rd boxes. I asked the guy in the store how it compares to say Speer Gold Dots or other more traditional HP ammo and he said that it's just as good. He also said that it came from some police surplus and that's why it was cheaper, but he guarnateed that it's still fresh. At home i noticed that on about 75% of these rounds there is something stuck in around the primer rim, something that looks like grains of powder of greyish-greenish color. I was a little worried so i took both boxes to the range and fired about 10 random rounds from each box - all went off fine. However, i never seen anything like that on any other ammo, including cheap ball rounds. Other than that all rounds look fresh - copper jacketing is light orange and brass is spotless. Anyone esle seen anything like that? What do you think that can be? Should i be worried about it? Any feedback on Winchester Ranger in general?
Anyone? Any advice?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have no idea as to the debris around your primer.

As to Ranger generally, I like it quite a bit in .45 - haven't tried it in the 9mm yet. Testing I have seen shows that it expands consistently and well. It shoots properly to POA with consistent groups from my XD45 (well as consistent as any other groups my raggedy a$$ puts down range). In either standard or +P I find it adequately managed. And it is WWWAAYYYYY cheaper than the Corbon DPX, another of my favorite rounds. I currently have Ranger SXTs as my primary carry ammo.

On the down side, good luck finding any and if you do good luck affording it. :(

ballester

imported post

i have ranger-t's in 9mm....124 +p...and ranger in 147gr...not sure if the 147'sare t's as they were a gift in a loose bag of ammo...i havent noticed anything on mine for that matter...other then the cases and the bullet starting to change color from carry...as long as the primer ignites the powder that bullet could be black and green and what not...i looked into getting some SXT's but i noticed in a back to back comparison with one of my rangers...the bullet is really different in design......but then again i never seen one of the orignal rangers or the ranger sxt....only seen my 3rd gen rangers...but as long as it shoots..thats all that matters...:dude: