• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3rd LEO Encounter

demnogis

imported post

Let's just say this interaction didn't go so well.

Sadly, I was let down by my city's Police department in terms of their severe lack of professionalism, knowledge on Openly Carrying (one of the initial detaining officers threatened to charge me with 12025 (g) before letting me go), and respect for my civil liberties.

There were a number of miss-steps by the Police department (note, this was not the OC Sheriff's department).

I am awaiting a more detailed response from legal council.

And no, I am not seeking personal monetary damages (ie, money check).

Ironically, even though the officers feigned ignorance, the first question I was asked was "What movement are you with?!"

If you would like more details I will be glad to share what I am allowed to. It may not be until after some time, though.

Good news:

The girlfriend were sent on our way after about an hour and a half. Possessions returned to me, and only some slight bruising from the shiny bracelets.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
demnogis wrote:
No, it was one of the first things taken from while i was detained.

Decoligny wrote:
Hopefully you had your digital recorder on and running.
(Slaps forehead)

I'm not even going to say it...

Hmmmmm.

Voice-recorders are weapons that can be seized during a Terry Stop? New one on me.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

+1 to Citizen. I'm sure the officers just HAPPENED to press stop on your recorder too. You know, because heaven forbid they have to own up to what they do.

:cuss:

USPSureShot

imported post

New Product Idea
Digital voice recorder with VAR and a 10 keypad to input the lock code.

Press Record Lock the device and watch the LEO go nuts trying to turn it off. be sure and use Screws for the battery face plate though. :cool:

Entertaining at least.

prcE6

imported post

Demnogis, are you at least okay with saying which dept. or what city/county you were in? I only ask because there's obviously a gap in somebody's training, and we should probably have caution if we are in their jurisdiction.

No worries if you are uncomfortable sharing though.

It's crazy that they asked you which movement you're with. What's up man, cou;dn't hink of any on-the-spot sarcastic answers for that? Just kidding.

pullnshoot25

imported post

PRC-E6 wrote:
Demnogis, are you at least okay with saying which dept. or what city/county you were in? I only ask because there's obviously a gap in somebody's training, and we should probably have caution if we are in their jurisdiction.

It's crazy that they asked you which movement you're with. What's up man, cou;dn't hink of any on-the-spot sarcastic answers for that? Just kidding.
"You'd have one if I told you" HAHA

demnogis

imported post

PRC-E6 wrote:

Not really no. The officer that asked was quick to shout out an answer before i was able to.

USPSureShot wrote:
RE: Recorder
The follwoing is asked with the understanding that "I can't say right now" is a legitimate answer.

So did they do a full search then?
Without any consent whatsoever.

demnogis

imported post

Har har har...

I cannot say at this time what the plan of action is.

The defamatory remarks, statements, demeanor and behavior of the police force involved are and were completely unacceptable.

I will do my best to make sure that everyone will know that. Whether it be an educational course they're all required to take, unpaid time-off for willingly and knowingly violating my rights or any other applicable form of recourse...

At this time, I cannot say.

But I assure you, LEAs read this board, regularly. What we say will be used against us in a court of law.

But then again, who the hell am I?

marshaul wrote:
And why exactly are you not seeking monetary damages? Perhaps you'd prefer an apology? :quirky

demnogis

imported post

I spoke with an attorney. He was a very well educated and informed individual who is very pro 2A. He gave me a few suggestions, told me that OCing is a controversial issue even in pro 2A circles, and to be careful - the cops here in Orange County are surprisingly against the citizenry being armed. Especially with our new Sheriff mis-informing local PDs about OCers and "the movement".

Basically, they're looking forward to throwing a few of us away and "making an example" of us.

Anyhow! I will not be pressing charges against the local PD. I will, however be sending a strongly worded letter (Kevin & Bean fans will get that one) in complain of their misconduct and unlawful actions.

Carry on!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Do us all a big favor and file a formal complaint. Send extra copies to the DA and the local FBI field office. The department is obliged to inform the DA of any alleged misconduct, but they don't always do it. The DA may not care, but they at least have to create a file on the officer(s) involved. If they're having a slow week, or simply have reason to want to investigate the department or officer involved, they might just do something... or they might circle file your complaint. Doesn't hurt to try.

This behavior is possibly gonna be worse for the next guy. I won't say your obligated in any way, but I'm sure the next guy would really appreciate not having to go through what you went through.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

demnogis wrote:

Decoligny wrote:
This whole thing with the taking of the digital recorder really concerns me.It isone thing that I would have as a record to keep the detention from being a "my word" versus "their word" case should I be arrested. Since you are not pursuing a lawsuit, could you share what your attorney said about this aspect of the detention and what UOC'ers can do about it.It seems that one of the reasons that an LEO would not want his conversation recorded is that he may be contemplating"dishing out some street justice" (whatever form that might take). This aspect of the detention seems to me to give some pretty ugly insight on the LEO's intention to keep any rights violations he commits undocumented.He certainly didn't do it for your benefit.

giaking70

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
demnogis wrote:

Decoligny wrote:
This whole thing with the taking of the digital recorder really concerns me.It isone thing that I would have as a record to keep the detention from being a "my word" versus "their word" case should I be arrested. Since you are not pursuing a lawsuit, could you share what your attorney said about this aspect of the detention and what UOC'ers can do about it.It seems that one of the reasons that an LEO would not want his conversation recorded is that he may be contemplating"dishing out some street justice" (whatever form that might take). This aspect of the detention seems to me to give some pretty ugly insight on the LEO's intention to keep any rights violations he commits undocumented.He certainly didn't do it for your benefit.

maybe the CPOA Memo should include illegal seizure of personal property to include digital recorders as well as the weapon itself....asshole LEO!! They continue to infringe on our rights more and more. No wonder why they create the "us vs them" mentality. And they wonder why the general population hates them....

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

During one of my detentions they did temporarily remove the recorder, but almost immediately gave it back to me while they maintained control of my other things.

They did ask me why I needed one and I had said "keeps everyone honest."

Jeffytune

imported post

I feel so sorry for you all stuck in so cal, I was born there, watched as all the work we did was ignored and the politicians we helped elected would turn on us and stab us in the back to cater to the media.

I felt I had no other option for me and my family them to move, and here in Oregon I am.

I can legally own a class three weapon if I wanted to, I don't, but I could If I wanted too.
I have a CWP, and my encounters with the cops have all been pleasant ones, they respect us as long as we respect them.

I have pistols with 19+1 rounds, a AR-15 with many 30 round mags.....it has never assaulted anyone.

But one has stopped a mugging and arrested a car thief.

Too bad California won't let us help like they do here.