• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are handguns banned in DC?

hometheaterman

imported post

Are handguns banned in DC now? I've heard mixed things about this so wasn't sure what to believe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Don't even drive though without having them properly secured.

BTW - you've been here a while now - don't you ever read the "Hot Topics"?

Don't mind answering questions or providing information - but I've never been one to ask others if the sun rises in the east either.

Yata hey

wolf-father

imported post

Wow I had no idea it was that hard to have a gun there. You feel like a show dog by the time you get done jumping though those hoops.

wylde007

imported post

Washington's going to have a lot more than handguns to worry about before too long.

The 2nd Amendment is getting fidgety... and there is grand tyranny in the people's Houses.

Chuckles

imported post

Wow, the DC police must be laughing all the way to the bank since all the criminals are forced to come in and register their weapons. They can just nab them on the spot!

Criminal A: Dude, I just robbed a 7-Eleven last night and shot the clerk with my unregistered handgun.
Criminal B: Man, unregistered? You got some balls, better go to MPD and register you gun before you get into some deep $#!T.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Here's what gets me about this DC gun thing:

1) Citizens have the individual right to keep and bear arms per Heller.

2) DC residents have to ask for permission to have a handgun in the home and cannot carry.

3) Non-DC residents have NO gun rights in DC.

Since when does the Constitution (which applies in DC; no state constitution or laws to get in the way) only apply to a particular subset of citizens in a certain area?

ianto94

imported post

BigE wrote:
Ok, so I'm coming to DC for my nephews gaduation. Does this mean I can't transport orhave my handgun loaded in my hotel?
Under DC law you would be guilty of possession of an unregistered firearm. They might also be able to charge you with carrying a firearm without a license. As a non-resident you cannot register the weapon and they won't issue a carry permit to anyone who is not a retired law enforcement officer. So if you want to remain legal don't bring the gun into the city or don't come into the city. They just don't get it yet.