• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Hoodie Bandit" Strikes several BB&T banks in Fairfax County!! lets get this mofo

chrisco455

imported post

http://www.dcexaminer.com/local/crime/Bank-Robbery---Hoodie-Bandit-striking-BBT-banks-in-Fairfax-41343592.html

He wears a black or blue hooded sweat shirt and carries a black semiautomatic handgun in hands often covered by purple latex gloves. He’s known for leaping over tellers’ counters, stuffing a bag with cash and getting away on foot.

He’s the Hoodie Bandit and he’s suspected of robbing four Fairfax County BB&T banks — one of them twice — since late November, the FBI said. Investigators want to catch him before he strikes again.

The Hoodie Bandit most recently targeted a BB&T at 6130 Redwood Square Center in Centreville around 5:45 p.m. Feb. 27, the FBI said. Upon entering he vaulted the teller counter with his black handgun in plain view. He then demanded cash from the bank tellers, placed it in a plastic bag and ran off.

It’s not clear yet why he targets BB&T banks, and he might have struck one Wachovia branch as well, investigators said.

The suspect is about 5-foot-10, has a thin build and is dark-skinned, possibly Hispanic or black. He covers his face with a black ski mask and wears either a blue or black hooded sweat shirt. His hands are usually covered in purple latex surgical gloves.

Anyone with information on the case should call the FBI Washington Field Office at 202-278-2000 or Fairfax County police at 703-691-2131. Additional information regarding bank robberies in the Washington area can be found at bankbandits.org.

Everyone be on the look out. Lets get this guy.

Riana

imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
Not many of us frequent BB&T. They prefer only the criminals carry in their banks, so we oblige.

Perhaps true, but we can still keep an eye out, even if we don't do business there. :)

Tells you how much I pay attention to the news... the bank that got hit twice is just up the street. :what:Glad I got my permit - now I can carry at the grocery store, no problems.

wylde007

imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
Not many of us frequent BB&T. They prefer only the criminals carry in their banks, so we oblige.
It's their own fault for creating "crime-spree zones" within their businesses.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agreed, it's always a good idea to keep an eye out for safety.

I guess I mostly took exception to the "Let's get this mofo" comment and chose to not comment further on it. I carry for the safety of myself, my family and others. I'm not a vigilante going out looking for criminals.

Stay safe

hsmith

imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
Agreed, it's always a good idea to keep an eye out for safety.

I guess I mostly took exception to the "Let's get this mofo" comment and chose to not comment further on it. I carry for the safety of myself, my family and others. I'm not a vigilante going out looking for criminals.

Stay safe
And on top of that, I couldn't care less about insured bank money.

Sheriff

imported post

chrisco455 wrote:
Everyone be on the look out. Lets get this guy.

Not good advice.... if you are suggesting taking this person down.

Call 911 and let them do their job. :banghead:

chrisco455

imported post

If he is robbing the BB&T bank that I frequent with my loved ones in order pay my car loan.... I will most definitely take immediate action involving lethal force.

ChinChin

imported post

chrisco455 wrote:
If he is robbing the BB&T bank that I frequent with my loved ones in order pay my car loan.... I will most definitely take immediate action involving lethal force.

You may want to review the legality of the actions you propose to take before you land yourself in hot water. I'd suggest you review the laws of Virginia and know when you are lawfully able to deploy lethal force.

I mean no offense to you at all; but the way you typed the comment above makes you sound like a trigger-happy dirty harry type; a perception we here work hard to distance ourselves from. Your thread title with "let's get this mofo" also makes you sound like a vigalante, yet another perception we work to distance ourselves from.

beradcee

imported post

MAYBE BB&T should instituted the same "No Hats, Sunglasses, or Hoodies" rule that Navy Federal has implemented. If he saw that sign then perhaps he would choose another bank. Or maybe it would make him rethink his life and change his ways. Just like it does for all the BG's who walk into places that have the signs that tell you "No Guns Allowed"

chrisco455

imported post

I have reviewed the codes. And i dont think there is anything wrong with wanting to protect my family if the establishment that I am in is being robbed by a thug who has a history of this sort of thing.

No i do not drive a taxi haha.

And is that comment about not wearing your "blue hoodie" anymore and OCing trying to make it seem as if I might think your a criminal and shoot you?? I hope thats not what your implying.

jayarmbar

imported post

Just a quick question. If a armed robbery is happening in a legally armed persons presence do that person have any responsibility to apply deadly force? And if that person does what are the possible ramifications?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jayarmbar wrote:
Just a quick question. If a armed robbery is happening in a legally armed persons presence do that person have any responsibility to apply deadly force? And if that person does what are the possible ramifications?

You are allowed to arrest him....but not shoot him unless you are in fear for your life or grievous bodily harm.

Before you say the usual "of course I was in fear for my life or grievous bodily harm....Just think about it. Unless he's shooting at you, your probably going to be charged.

ChinChin

imported post

chrisco455 wrote:
I have reviewed the codes. And i dont think there is anything wrong with wanting to protect my family if the establishment that I am in is being robbed by a thug who has a history of this sort of thing.

No i do not drive a taxi haha.

And is that comment about not wearing your "blue hoodie" anymore and OCing trying to make it seem as if I might think your a criminal and shoot you?? I hope thats not what your implying.

I would strongly advise you to retain legal counsel now; and have him/her on retainer.

[size=[url=http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opnscvwp/1010071.pdf]Commonwealth v. Sands, 262 Va. 724, 553 S.E.2d 733 (2001). [/url]][/size]

"The principles governing a plea of self-defense are well-established. Self-defense is an affirmative defense to a charge of murder, and in making such a plea, a "defendant implicitly admits the killing was intentional and assumes the burden of introducing evidence of justification or excuse that raises a reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors." McGhee v. Commonwealth, 219 Va. 560, 562, 248 S.E.2d 808, 810 (1978). The "bare fear" of serious bodily injury, or even death, however well- grounded, will not justify the taking of human life. Stoneman v. Commonwealth, 66 Va. (25 Gratt.) 887, 900 (1874). "There must [also] be some overt act indicative of imminent danger at the time." Vlastaris v. Commonwealth, 164 Va. 647, 652, 178 S.E. 775, 776 (1935). See also Yarborough v. Commonwealth, 217 Va. 971, 975, 234 S.E.2d 286, 290 (1977); Mercer v. Commonwealth, 150 Va. 588, 597, 142 S.E. 369, 371 (1928). In other words, a defendant "must wait till some overt act is done[,] . . . till the danger becomes imminent." Vlastaris, 164 Va. at 652, 178 S.E. at 777. In the context of a self-defense plea, "imminent danger" is defined as "[a]n immediate, real threat to one's safety . . . ." Black's Law Dictionary 399 (7th ed. 1999). "There must be . . . some act menacing present peril . . . [and] [t]he act . . . must be of such a character as to afford a reasonable ground for believing there is a design . . . to do some serious bodily harm, and imminent danger of carrying such design into immediate execution." Byrd v. Commonwealth, 89 Va. 536, 539, 16 S.E. 727, 729 (1893).

jayarmbar

imported post

peter nap wrote:
jayarmbar wrote:

You are allowed to arrest him....but not shoot him unless you are in fear for your life or grievous bodily harm.

Before you say the usual "of course I was in fear for my life or grievous bodily harm....Just think about it. Unless he's shooting at you, your probably going to be charged.
So if I understand you correctly I have no obligation to protect a fellow citizen if there life is in danger?

ChinChin

imported post

jayarmbar wrote:
peter nap wrote:
jayarmbar wrote:

So if I understand you correctly I have no obligation to protect a fellow citizen if there life is in danger?

No legal obligation under the codes of the Commonwealth of Virginia which I am aware of presently.

Moral obligation is arbitrary and up to you to decide.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
jayarmbar wrote:
peter nap wrote:
jayarmbar wrote:

No legal obligation under the codes of the Commonwealth of Virginia which I am aware of presently.

I agree with ChinChin. However, the rules of the use of deadly force are clear (to me):

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Deadly+Force

"When deadly force is used by a private citizen, the reasonableness rule does not apply. The citizen must be able to prove that a felony occurred or was being attempted, and that the felony threatened death or bodily harm. Mere suspicion of a felony is considered an insufficient ground for a private citizen to use deadly force.

This was demonstrated in the Michigan case of People v. Couch, 436 Mich. 414, 461 N.W.2d 683 (1990), where the defendant shot and killed a suspected felon who was fleeing the scene of the crime. The Michigan supreme court ruled that Archie L. Couch did not have the right to use deadly force against the suspected felon because the suspect did not pose a threat of injury or death to Couch."

Essentially, you better be darn sure a felony occurred or was being attempted before you decide to use deadly force. It is human nature that people will want to step in an help someone in these types of situations spoken about in this post. IANAL, but, it is my contention that you may be arrested, and, the incident may be figured out in court. Just keep this in mind if you decide to use deadly force.

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

SemperFiGuy

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
jayarmbar wrote:
peter nap wrote:
jayarmbar wrote:

This may not apply here, but what about "good sumaritan" laws in regards to protecting others?