• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained Twice: Need Help

DanM

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I need help and don’t know what to do. One of the reasons that I don’t OC is because I can’t afford to pay for a lawyer. Now, I need one anyway.

I was detained last night for over 50 minutes, and also last week for about five minutes.

On top of that, my computer broke, so I have to use the library’s computer, and that limits me to only one, one-hour session per day.

I’d appreciate any help.

I need someone willing to do the FOIA work for me.

I also need a lawyer, but can’t afford one.

I really don’t k now what to do at this point, and would appreciate any help.
I think yourfirst couple of steps, without potentially wasting time or money on anything else, is to submita complaint to the agency that you feel detained you and talk to an attorney--for free--about what realistically can be done beyond that.

After your talk with an attorney, you should know more realistically if the incidents should be pursued further or the formal complaint is about the only really effective thing you can do.

Usually, attorneys provide an initial, brief consultation for free to potential clients. I think the attorneys publicized here follow that practice. Let us know the outcome. I would, and have, donated money to defense funds for wrongful prosecution, but there would have to be very unusual circumstances for me to donate to pursue someone'swrongful detention, as money is tight and such incidents don't result in law-abiding citizens being placed inlegal jeopardy. But I know wrongful detention is still a serious issue, so I wish you all success if your incident requires further pursuit.

Michigander

imported post

A lot of use here have had experience doing FOIA's and otherwise taking on bogus charges and things. But obviously we can't help you without details, which obviously probably don't belong on the net. So, given your present circumstance, I would suggest that you PM your phone number and a good time to call to people who you think might be able to offer you some ideas. Having recently got a cop in trouble for perjury, I think it's possible I might have some pointers for you, but it's hard to say not knowing the facts.

ghostrider

imported post

I appreciate the help so far with the suggestions. I've contacted a lawyer, and we are hopping it all just fades away. Right now I'm just going to wait and hope nothing happens.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I need help and don’t know what to do. One of the reasons that I don’t OC is because I can’t afford to pay for a lawyer. Now, I need one anyway.

I was detained last night for over 50 minutes, and also last week for about five minutes.

On top of that, my computer broke, so I have to use the library’s computer, and that limits me to only one, one-hour session per day.

I’d appreciate any help.

I need someone willing to do the FOIA work for me.

I also need a lawyer, but can’t afford one.

I really don’t k now what to do at this point, and would appreciate any help.
PM sent.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Ghostrider,

2x in about 1 week's time?? WOW! Did it happen here in GR or was it elsewhere.

I know you are probably precluded from stating exactly where this happened, but if there is anything I can do to help, feel free to PM me.

Also, I may be able to get a computer for you to use while your other one is being repaired... just send me a PM when you can.

--Todd

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Guess I'm lucky then... I've never run into a problem. I spend most of my time in western Kent County/ Eastern Ottawa County. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, because I used to be in the reserves and there were some deputies who were suspicious of everybody that wasn't a cop.

Was at a gas station in Hudsonville, 2 Ottawa County Deputies (I think) were there getting a cup of coffee. They definitely noticed my pistol but they didn't say anything to me.

Pumping gas at Costco near Rivertown Crossings, I was trying to use a gift card for part of the fill-up and a credit card for the remainder. I needed to complete the gift card transaction, then use my credit card on a new transaction which took quite some time. The clerk was walking around assisting people, noticed that I was taking a long time because of the two cards being used, and walked over to see if I need any help. I answered that I did not, just trying to use two cards for the gas. He noticed the pistol and asked if I was a cop... I laughed and said "Just a guy carrying a firearm." I explained that it was legal to OC, and explained the issue of transporting the firearm w/out a cpl. He chuckled that Costco would never let him carry his pistol while working, even though because he is out there alone, he wishes he could. I told him about the opencarry website; he said he would check it out. No problems at all.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

springerdave wrote:
Halten! Tzu briefs bitta! Zu ferstancis nich gefarn uf Volks Republk Uf Kent Kounty! I don't travel in Kent county without a really good reason. They Don't Get It!springerdave.
springerdave,

Ihr Deutsch ist nicht ganz verständlich ... sie sollen Englisch benutzen. ;)

SQLtables

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Halten! Tzu briefs bitta! Zu ferstancis nich gefarn uf Volks Republk Uf Kent Kounty! I don't travel in Kent county without a really good reason. They Don't Get It!springerdave.
springerdave,

Ihr Deutsch ist nicht ganz verständlich ... sie sollen Englisch benutzen. ;)
Watch your language!