• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana Gun Ban Proposed

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HB 44 by Reps Lafonta, Hardy, and Stiaes appears to be a response to the Mardi Gras shootings in New Orleans, but goes way beyond the scope of those crimes.

In a nutshell, it would ban the possession of guns by anyone other than LEO within 1000 feet of any public place where more than 50 people are present. Public places are then broadly defined to include almost anywhere except one's own property.

The law contains exceptions for many of the usual exceptions, including historical re-enactors and people with Parish Concealed carry permits( NOT the same as the statewide permits that many people have). It also contains the exception for "any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle." That phrase, if taken at its most literal, should mean that it would not ban OC - which is a constitutionally protected activity; but it would still ban the people with CC licenses from carrying.

One could rightly expect LEO not to see the subtlety in the law until such time as the Supreme Court rules against them.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=637526links you to the entire text, if you choose to read it.

Write your reps and ask them to oppose this bill, as it is patently unconstitutional.

Dustin

imported post

Will do. :cuss:

You think those Gang banging pieces of shit give a damnabout this dumbass law to begin with !?!?!? Those freaks would have shot eachother whether or NOT this law existed !

Man this kinda stuff pisses me off !

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, you may have a point - after all it WAS already illegal for all of that shooting in the first place. ;)

Rep. Lafonta is in the same boat as Cedric Richmond (he of the perennial AWB); and I wouldn't expect him to mind at all that decent people would be disarmed and placed in harm's way by his little bill.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Here's what I wrote Vitter.
I completely Oppose HB 44, and encourage you to do the same. I view HB 44 completely unconstitutional, and a grave danger to our bill of RIGHTS, especially the second one. I hope you do to.

Semper Fi
Perhaps I should have been more clear - this is a state bill, although having our US Senator on our side can't hurt.

Dustin

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Here's what I wrote Vitter.
I completely Oppose HB 44, and encourage you to do the same. I view HB 44 completely unconstitutional, and a grave danger to our bill of RIGHTS, especially the second one. I hope you do to.

Semper Fi
Perhaps I should have been more clear - this is a state bill, although having our US Senator on our side can't hurt.

Hopefully Vitter will put the pressure on them.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
the very bozos proposing this particular bill, especially the sponsor.

I wish it were that simple. Lafonta won't care - he's a gun banner like Cedric Richmond. The first step is to contact the members of the Criminal Justice Committee. http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Cmtes/H_CMTE_CJ.asp

Fortunately, the Chairman of that committee is Ernest Wooton, sponsor of the Campus Carry legislation that did not pass last year. He is a friend of gun rights and is not likely to support this bill.

Dustin

imported post

I contacted:

rep96.jpg

[align=right]

[/align]

[align=center]Representative Juan A. LaFonta
Democrat - District 96
[/align]
[align=left]I wrote this:[/align]
§11. Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person.

How does HB 44 Coincide with Article 1 Section 11 of the Louisiana Constitution?

Criminals will never care about such laws, only law abiding citizens will. Who areyou really out to protect here?

I look forward to the explanation.

Semper Fi

Might not be worth anything, but it sure does feels good.

Dustin

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
the very bozos proposing this particular bill, especially the sponsor.

I wish it were that simple. Lafonta won't care - he's a gun banner like Cedric Richmond. The first step is to contact the members of the Criminal Justice Committee. http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Cmtes/H_CMTE_CJ.asp

Fortunately, the Chairman of that committee is Ernest Wooton, sponsor of the Campus Carry legislation that did not pass last year. He is a friend of gun rights and is not likely to support this bill.

Done. I can bang out emails all day :celebrate

imported post

Ed,
I never claimed the sponsor would all of a sudden come to his senses.
You and I both know that's not going to happen.
Personally, I find it rather amusing to hold up the constitution to these bozo's faces, in some cases, literally, and sit back and watch as they try to rationalize why they think they can violate the supreme law of the state and their oaths of office at the same time.
I'm through playing the political game of having to gather enough votes to protect our rights. Let's make life for these lawbreakers in the legislature as miserable as possible. Be creative in your approach.
Unless/until there's a DOWNSIDE to their misbehavior/criminal actions, there's no incentive on their part to reform themselves and bring their actions in step with the constitution.
Banging out emails, along with snail mail, accomplishes nothing of substance. Been there, done that. Showing up at their HOME works wonders. Try it sometime.

turbodog

imported post

Here's my message sent to Rep. Wooton.

To the Honorable Ernest D. Wooton; Sir, I write to express myurgent protest of House Bill No. 44, asput forth by Representatives Juan Lafonta, Rickey Hardy and Charmain M. Stiaes. This bill would turn law abiding citizens into criminals,merely for the act of carrying a firearm for the protection of themselves and families, while going about their lawful business. This bill would prohibit the carrying of a firearm for self defense, literally everywhere a person would normally go when doing everyday activities like shopping or dining! Sir, some would argue that the police are there to protect you but that is a fallacy. The courts have ruled that police have no responsibility to protect citizens as individuals. Therefore, it is up to each person to decide how best to ensure their own safety in an increasingly violent world. Many citizens, peaceful, law-abiding people, choose to carry a firearm to assert their right of self protection and HB 44 would seriously abrogate that right to do so. The Constitution of the State of Louisiana, Article 1, Section11 states: §11. Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall
not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person. Please note this language from HB 44: A. Illegal possession or discharge of a firearm at a public gathering is the
10 possession or discharge of a firearm within one thousand feet of any public place
11 where fifty or more people are present at the time the firearm is possessed or
12 discharged. The wording above is what makes the mere possession of a handgun for self defense by a peaceful, law abiding citizen an instant crime. I further quote HB 44: C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
6 (2) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the
7 state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle. The right to keep and bear arms by the citizens of Louisiana is a constitutionally protected right per Article 1 Sec 11 of the State Constitution, as quoted above. This fact alone should make HB 44 null and void! In addition to the fact thisbill completely ignores the constitutionally given right of a citizen to carry a handgun openly when about ones lawful business, it doesn't even make exceptions for those who posses a valid concealed handgun permit, people who have gone through the time, expense, required training and background checks to do so. I have no problem with the language in HB 44 that prohibits and/or makes a crime of DISCHARGE of a firearm at a public gathering. It is the language that criminalizes the mere possession of a firearm by those individuals who are presently able to posses and carry one legally that I object to.HB 44makes instant criminals out of regular citizens and does absolutely nothing to deter those who have no respect for law or the lives of others. Please notea quote from this 5 year study by the FBI, conducted byDr. Anthony Pinizzotto, clinical forensic psychologist, and Ed Davis, criminal investigative instructor, both with the Bureau’s Behavioral Science Unit, and Charles Miller III, coordinator of the LEOs Killed and Assaulted program. Called “Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation’s Law Enforcement Officers.” it states in part: "Researcher Davis, in a presentation and discussion for the International Assn. of Chiefs of Police, noted that none of the attackers interviewed was “hindered by any law--federal, state or local--that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership. They just laughed at gun laws.” Sir, as the "Sportsman's Paradise", comfort with the possession and use of firearms by the majority of the law abiding voters of this state is a given. We heartily applaud the efforts of our legislators to bring due punishment down upon the heads of those who scoff at law and bring pain and sorrow to others, but we ask you sir, do not allowTHIS bill to become a law of our great state. Do not allow this instrument, the language of which does nothing to impede the desires of evil persons, to infringe upon the rights of the vast majority of Louisiana citizens, who wish only to go about their everyday business while enjoying their right to protect themselves and families.

Dustin

imported post

Here we go.

Valena M. Coco

Legislative Assistant to Juan A. LaFontawrote me back with this.

Good Morning Mr. Ducote,

Please call my office so that we may talk about HB44.

Yours Truly,

Juan A. LaFonta

District 96

Valena M. Coco

Legislative Assistant to

Juan A. LaFonta

State Representative

District 96

6305 Elysian Fields Avenue

Suite 207A

New Orleans, LA 70122

504-282-0265

Fax: 504-282-0821

Hmm, What should I be prepared for/with ?

rmansu2

imported post

Apparently it was worth at least a little. Sounds like you have a good take on the problems. Seems if you just have this conversation while having this site available you will have all the answers you may need.