• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woodbridge man stabs, shoots home intruders

TFred

imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/16/AR2009031602803.html

Resident Wounds Intruders in Home
One Suspect Stabbed, Another Shot

By Jonathan Mummolo
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 17, 2009; B04

A Woodbridge man stabbed one intruder and shot another after the two men broke into his home Sunday night, according to Prince William County police and court records.

The 41-year-old resident, whose name was not released, heard a noise inside his house in the 15100 block of Georgia Road and went to investigate, police said. The resident encountered James Baumann Jr., 28, armed with a knife, and the two began struggling, police said.

The resident, who was cut during the struggle, grabbed the knife from Baumann and stabbed him, leaving him with life-threatening injuries, police said.

The second man, Jason L. Presley, 32, then entered the home, and the resident broke free of Baumann, grabbed his shotgun and fired at both men, striking Presley, police said.

The resident called police about 11:30 p.m.

He and Presley were taken to a hospital, where they were treated and released. Baumann remained hospitalized yesterday, police said.

The men had gone to the home to obtain illegal drugs, but no drugs were found in the home, police said.

Presley and Baumann have been charged with burglary while armed with the intent to commit larceny, and Baumann was charged with malicious wounding. Presley is being held without bond.

No ruling has been made on whether the shooting was justified, Prince William Commonwealth's Attorney Paul B. Ebert said. "That's still under investigation."

Reached last night, Steve O'Byrne, who identified himself as the resident's stepfather, said the man was not available for comment.

"He did defend himself, and he's recuperating from his injuries," O'Byrne said. "He's staying with one of the family members."

Prince William police spokeswoman Erika Hernandez said the incident is under investigation.

Staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.

crazydude6030

imported post

wait, wait, wait.... These people broke into this guys house. He reacted by stabbing one and shooting at or hitting the other guy and he is in jail. Am I missing something here?

Edit: read it to fast.

TexasNative

imported post

I don't think you're missing anything, you're just seeing something that's not there. Nowhere in this article does it say the unnamed "resident" was jailed. The two intruders have been charged with armed burglary, and the one who's out of the hospital is in jail. I presume the other one will join him as soon as he's released from the hospital.

frenchdl

imported post

Those fools (the robbers) got what they had coming to them. Maybe they should switch professions if they dont like getting stabbed or shot

....and the govt./police/judge should not have to think twice about whether or not someone defending thier home from a break in is "justified".

noah

imported post

Personally I think it should be like the old days. If you stole a horse you were hanged. If you break into someone's home especially with a weapon you should be shot. They didn't have a knife to make themselves a sandwich!