• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marysville City Hall GFZ

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Has anyone pointed out to Marysville that the City Hall building is not a gun free zone? Just wanted to save the embarrassment if this has already been addressed with them.

just_a_car

imported post

Do they hold court proceedings there? If so, they're technically allowed to make areas that hold those proceedings barred to firearms. Though, they have to follow all the requirements of 9.41.300, also.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Has anyone pointed out to Marysville that the City Hall building is not a gun free zone?  Just wanted to save the embarrassment if this has already been addressed with them.

Obligatory reference..

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

Phssthpok

imported post

[size="-1"][font="Helvetica, Arial"] [font="Helvetica, Arial"] Marysville Municipal Court
[/font] [size="-1"][font="Helvetica, Arial"] 1015 State Ave.
Marysville, WA 98270

[/font][/size]
[/font][/size][font="Helvetica, Arial"][font="Helvetica, Arial"]Marysville City Hall[/font][/font]
[size="-2"][font="Helvetica, Arial, Sans-serif"] 1049 State Avenue[/font][/size]
[size="-1"][font="Helvetica, Arial"][size="-1"][font="Helvetica, Arial"]Marysville, WA 98270[/font][/size][/font][/size]

From the third bullet point in the green box to the right on the Municipal Court page for Marysville Wa. :

Know where we are located. (Some people erroneously travel to City Hall nearby.)
(emphasis mine.)

City halls are not listed in RCW 9.41.300 as prohibited, ergo the sign is unenforceable. But if you go the the city council page it says that all meetings are held "on the second floor of the city hall/municipal court building" (even though they have different addresses).

HRMmmmmm..............:?

Know where we are located. (Some people erroneously travel to City Hall nearby.)

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The city hall and courthouse buildings are 200 yards apart. No court rooms at city hall.
Its a pretty clear violation, I was just wondering if anyone else had fired them up yet.

just_a_car

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
The city hall and courthouse buildings are 200 yards apart. No court rooms at city hall.
Its a pretty clear violation, I was just wondering if anyone else had fired them up yet.
Agreed, a pretty clear violation. I'm not aware of anyone talking to them yet, but I'd leave this thread up a day or two to let people respond if they have. Thanks for catching this and being willing to spearhead it if necessary.

Nebulis01

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Jim675 wrote:
Agreed, a pretty clear violation. I'm not aware of anyone talking to them yet, but I'd leave this thread up a day or two to let people respond if they have. Thanks for catching this and being willing to spearhead it if necessary.

As a city resident I'll write a letter this weekend if nobody does it by then.

jbone

imported post

Doesn’t appear they passed any illegal codes for City Hall either. This one should be an easy fix. Their sign sure lacks tons of relevant info to 9.41.300. Propaganda Sign? No wonder so many people we meet on the streets think it illegal, they read and believe far too much propaganda!

http://www.codepublishing.com/wa/marysville/

jbone

imported post

Should I start out with something short and too the piont like this?

To: Marysville Councilmember: Jeff Seibert, City Attorney: Grant Weed, Police Chief: Rick Smith

Subject: CITY HALL POSTING OF NO-FIREARMS SIGN

Ref: RCW 91.41.290

RCW 9.41.300

Dear Sirs,

Currently Marysville City Hall posts a sign banning firearms with the exception of Law Enforcement referencing RCW 9.41.300, see attached picture. I must inform you this posting ill informs the general public as to the true content of RCW 9.41.300 and the rights of citizens in and on public properties. RCW 9.41.290 “State preemption” Cleary does not allow for such illegal regulation.

I trust is this merely an oversight of State Law and this sign will be promptly removed from City Hall and any other public building were signs of this nature are found, and that no person who legally possesses a firearm under State and Federal Law will be removed by employees or by Law Enforcement.

Point of contact:

heresolong

imported post

jbone wrote:

To: Marysville Councilmember: Jeff Seibert, City Attorney: Grant Weed, Police Chief: Rick Smith

RCW 9.41.300

Dear Sirs,

Currently Marysville City Hall posts a sign banning firearms with the exception of Law Enforcement referencing RCW 9.41.300, see attached picture. I must inform you this posting ill informs the general public as to the true content of RCW 9.41.300 and the rights of citizens in and on public properties. RCW 9.41.290 “State preemption” Cleary does not allow for such illegal regulation.

I trust is this merely an oversight of State Law and this sign will be promptly removed from City Hall and any other public building were signs of this nature are found, and that no person who legally possesses a firearm under State and Federal Law will be removed by employees or by Law Enforcement.

Point of contact:
Looks good to me. You might include the text of 9.41.300 so that they don't have to go research it to find out the correct answer.

jbone

imported post

heresolong wrote:
jbone wrote:

RCW 9.41.300

Dear Sirs,

Point of contact:
Looks good to me. You might include the text of 9.41.300 so that they don't have to go research it to find out the correct answer.
On the orginal doc in REF: I hyperliked the RCW's, do you think thatr would work?

just_a_car

imported post

jbone wrote:

RCW 9.41.300

Dear Sirs,

Currently Marysville City Hall posts a sign banning firearms with the exception of Law Enforcement referencing RCW 9.41.300, see attached picture. I must inform you this posting ill-informs the general public as to the true content of RCW 9.41.300 and the rights of citizens in and on public properties. RCW 9.41.290 “State preemption” Cleary does not allow for such illegal regulation.

I trust is this merely an oversight of State Law and this sign will be promptly removed from City Hall and any other public building where signs of this nature are found, and that no person who legally possesses a firearm under State and Federal Law will be removed by employees or by Law Enforcement.

Point of contact:
See corrections above in red.

Also, you may want to point out, as has been done with previous letters (look back at old threads in regards to dealing with similar issues), that it is in their best interests to change it, due to the possibility of being sued over illegal detention or arrest.

jbone

imported post

Thanks for the fixes and additional info to address in the correspondence.

I just got back from City Hall; there are not one, but, two signs. One is outside nextto the entrance and the one Jim675 reported inside. I took pictures of both.

Just past the indoor sign was a directory for the Council Chambers and Mayors office upstairs, no bearing of course on the bogus sign.

I asked the Gal working at the counter if anyone had ever commented on the signs and mentioned, overall she was disconcerted and stated they have always been there. I explained 9.41.300 and the court house scenario, I she offered that the building had been thecourt house in the past (maybe an old sign was never removed), but still in its day was misleading and incorrect.I did pass off WA Gun Rights pamphlet on the way out.

I’ll continue with contacting the City, not sure I’ll do anything since its said they have been addressed before.

jbone

imported post

Correspondence sent minutes ago! Now the wait begins.

jbone

imported post

The Signs have been removed,stopped in City Hall today and verified.