• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro Detroit Area meets listing

Michigander

imported post

******PLEASE ONLY POST ONCE IN THIS THREAD TO AVOID CLUTTER******

If something really needs to be hashed out, I think it would be best to make new threads.

April 12

DanM has suggested, and I agree, that we should meet up at River Woods Park in Auburn Hills. It's a nice park that I've stopped at on bike rides many times. I'm thinking we should do one of our typical BBQ's, (hot dogs, chips, salad, pizza, whatever, doesn't matter) so if you're going to come, please bring some sort of dish, and specify what you'll bring to keep things sorted.

My suggestion, if it works out for everyone, is that we schedule it to start at around noon.

202 N. Squirrel Rd
Auburn Hills Michigan 48326

If anyone here is good with linkable maps, please hook me up, because I am not. :?

April 16

Peanutpublications is organizing a fundraiser event in Auburn Hills. (Yay for two events in less than a week!)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/23273-1.html

Thursday, April 16 at 5:30 pm
Boston Market - 3200 Walton Blvd Rochester Hills 48309
Walton Blvd and Adams Rd

May 24

June 14

July 5

July 26

August 16

September 6

September 27

October 18

November 8

November 29

December 20

I think this is pretty straight forward. The idea is that we don't need to clutter up the forum with a bunch of threads and posts, so I'm just going to have one easy to reference schedule for the Detroit area. By posting here you can let everyone know that you'll be somewhere on a certain day, and I'll add it in above, or you can let me know at an event, and I'll add it in. Plus you can of course let me know if I have a stupid idea I should change. ;)

Note that I have the every 3rd week put up like we discussed in Berkley, but I can always put in extra dates as needed. It won't completely replace threads for all events in the Detroit area, but I think we can manage to do some events without having to discuss it elsewhere.

Since the idea here is not to have too much clutter, and because we can't delete posts on this forum, I think it might make sense to post only once if you're going to be involved in meeting(s), and edit as needed, only leaving your post with words in it if it's relevant to future event(s). Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I don't believe it's that complicated. The one problem would be this thread falling to the bottom of the page if no one makes new posts, so hopefully if it works, Mike or John will sticky it.

Remember, even if you're not doing anything too special, but you'll be out open carrying and you'd be good company, just post it here! 2 people+ = a meeting. :)

DanM

imported post

Michigander wrote:
DanM and I have been discussing having a meeting at Great Lakes Crossing. Or maybe a meet in a park if the weather is nice. Updates to follow, suggestions are appreciated.
Personally, as I mentioned to Michigander via PM, I would prefer an MOC get-together, in numbers, in Auburn Hills to be conductedin one of their beautiful public parks.OC in Great Lakes Crossing ison the record by mall authoritiesas permitted,but I have had no productive response from the city on my notifications to them that their anti-carryordinances and park signage violates state preemption.

As I wrote to Michigander, I would recommend we get togetherata one of AH's parks with a "no weapons" sign. Perhaps a message about such signage and the offending ordinances underlying it could be sent, with possible media coverage,by usstrolling around the signs? River Woods Park has such a sign, has very nicefacilities forcooking and eating, and is practically right off of the exit of M-59 onto Squirrel Road in AH.

DanM

imported post

dougwg wrote:
It sounds like you are proposing a "I dare you" meeting. Is that your intent?
I don't knowwhat an "I dare you" meeting is. Would you please explain further?

If it has to do with confronting a city and police department that is hostile to OC, I would say I don't currently think this is the case. I have had interaction with the chief and her officers related to OC, and it seems they are awarethat OC is ok.

It is merely the case, I believe,that there are outdated ordinances and signage that need to be changed in Auburn Hills. I would consider an MOC get-together, preferably with media coverage, to be an "outdated-ordinance-and-signage awareness" meeting.

I'm about education and awareness where rights are infringed, not confrontation (at least not while education and awareness are being given time to work).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

DanM wrote:
dougwg wrote:
It sounds like you are proposing a "I dare you" meeting. Is that your intent?
I don't knowwhat an "I dare you" meeting is. Would you please explain further?

If it has to do with confronting a city and police department that is hostile to OC, I would say I don't currently think this is the case. I have had interaction with the chief and her officers related to OC, and it seems they are awarethat OC is ok.

It is merely the case, I believe,that there are outdated ordinances and signage that need to be changed in Auburn Hills. I would consider an MOC get-together, preferably with media coverage, to be an "outdated-ordinance-and-signage awareness" meeting.

I'm about education and awareness where rights are infringed, not confrontation (at least not while education and awareness are being given time to work).
Has anyone written to AH and tell them the ordinance is illegal and to remove the ban on firearms??? I have had good luck so far with all 3 of the municipalities I have written. If someone gets me the email of the mayor of AH and a link to the ordinance I would be happy to send it.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
Has anyone written to AH and tell them the ordinance is illegal and to remove the ban on firearms??? I have had good luck so far with all 3 of the municipalities I have written. If someone gets me the email of the mayor of AH and a link to the ordinance I would be happy to send it.

Belowis copy of the recentemailI sent to the AH council (which includes the mayor, Mr. McDonald):

[ETA: And I have retained all my emails from last year to their attorney and various city officials, as well.]

----- Original Message ----
To: jmcdonal@auburnhills.org
Cc: mhammond@auburnhills.org; medwards@auburnhills.org; bkittle@auburnhills.org; hknight@bignet.net; kmcdaniel@auburnhills.org; onewkirk@auburnhills.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:32:20 PM
Subject: Amendment or abolishment of ordinances in contravention of MCL 123.1102

Dear Mayor McDonald:

Looking through our ordinances, I continue to find the ones listed below. Under the 1990 state preemption law these ordinances are unenforceable, in whole or in part, with regard to firearm possession and are misleading to the people of Auburn Hills and other citizens. I have communicated since last year by email, phone, and in person with city officials, including its attorney Ms. Joan Bacon, about such matters. I was assured last year by Mr. Tom Tanghe that he and Mr. Peter Auger would be addressing this matter. All contacts have been pleasant but obviously not productive. I am requesting you amend these offending ordinances within 90 days. Failure to amend these ordinances, especially in light of my record ofpast notice, could be considered an act of malfeasance as the ordinances willfully misinform the public about what is and is not allowed in the city ofAuburnHills.

Thank You,

Dan M***
Auburn Hills
248-***-****

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

THEMICHIGANAPPEALS COURTCONCLUDED:
April 29, 20039:10 am. v No. 242237 MCGRO vs Ferndale.

In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas. ]

Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.

City of Auburn Hills ORDINANCESin question:

Sec. 46-212. Hunting within city.
No person shall hunt nor shall any person carry, for the purpose of hunting, firearms within the city. Any person carrying a firearm within the city limits, without a permit therefor, shall be deemed to be hunting. This section shall not apply to a person carrying an unloaded rifle, shotgun or pistol while travelling through or from the city for the purpose of hunting without the city limits.
(Ord. No. 394, § 2, 7-7-86)
[Assumes that any carry of a firearm, without “permit” (undefined), is “hunting.” Thus imposes regulation on non-hunting forms of firearm transportation or possession, including lawful open carry for self-defense, in contravention of MCL 123.1102.]

Sec. 46-170. Loitering in a vehicle.
It shall be unlawful for a person to, in a motor vehicle not situated on the public highway, sit or stand idly, linger or delay in movement in a public place, and concurrently:
. . . (7) Be in possession of any one or more of the following dangerous or deadly weapons: . . . concealed firearm . . .
(Ord. No. 638, Section 2.9, 12-7-98)
[Regulates in contravention of MCL 123.1102, see above.]

Sec. 50-3. Regulations governing city parks and city recreational grounds.
. . . (f) Except as authorized by law, it shall be unlawful for any person to possess any weapon in any city park or the recreational grounds of the city civic center, including, but not limited to, weapons such as firearms. . .
(Ord. No. 353, § 2, 4-1-85; Ord. No. 533, § 2, 1-25-93)
[Regulates in contravention of MCL 123.1102, see above.]

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

Linked Map to Auburn Hills Park:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=202+N+Squirrel+Rd,+Auburn+Hills,+Oakland,+Michigan+48326&sll=42.702391,-82.924975&sspn=0.014129,0.020857&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FR-aigIdJisK-w&split=0&ll=42.637874,-83.219976&spn=0.028287,0.041714&z=15&iwloc=addr

Count me in. I'll bring desert - everyone like Apple Pie?

Edit:
Added Calendar Link. Click the Link below and the event will be automatically added to your outlook (or other iCal compatible) calendar.
http://69.212.249.113/AH_Park.ics

DanM

imported post

Is the get together on April 12th at River Woods Park in Auburn Hills still a go? If so, should it be put on the Michigan Events Schedule Thread, so we can get an idea of attendance?

If attendance islow, let's consider movingthe date later. I plan on putting in a lot of effort to inform as many media outlets as possible, since this park has an explicit, illegal "no weapons" statement on the park rules sign. For whatever media that show up, it is my opinion that a healthyturnout of OC folks would be beneficial given that I will attempt to maximize the publicity we receive.

Michigander

imported post

I'm planning on being there. If you want to make it into as big of a deal as possible, you should probably start a thread on it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

River Woods Park is in the Events Thread now.

If you plan to attend, please remember to include in your post what items you will contibute for the picnic, if any. See Event Thread.

DanM

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

If you plan to attend, please remember to include in your post what items you will contibute for the picnic, if any. See Event Thread.

Thank you, Springer. Iwish to discuss that the date for this be set to"TBD . . ."

All, please see the thread for that at:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/23666.html

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DanM wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Thank you, Springer. Iwish to discuss that the date for this be set to"TBD . . ."

All, please see the thread for that at:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/23666.html
There are 7 confirmed plus guests currently with two weeks to go. I'll change the date to TBA until further notice.