• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Macarthur mall

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is very little information on this particular subject..... My current guess would be that MacArthur Mall is somewhat like Lynnhaven Mall. Nothing posted, but probably not a good idea. And remember, you are just a stone's throw from Waterside. We all remember what happened to an OC'er there. Be careful in Norfolk. Be aware I'm not saying don't exercise your rights... just be careful there.

I'll check MacArthur tomorrow and let you know, just be patient until then. My best recommendation is, even if I do not see a sign posted there, do not OC there.

Call Macarthur mall and ask them what their policy is. That is the best thing you can do. You'll find their number here: http://www.shopmacarthur.com/.

I personally will never cross the line into Norfolk unarmed, not even in the "nice" parts.

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

I have open carried several times in MacArthur without incident. Don't ask, just go.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If they haven't bothered putting up a sign banning the carrying of firearms a phone call asking for permission might be the prompt they need to provide clarification. If there's no sign DO NOT ASK! (Said in the friendliest possible manner while using capitals :) )

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
If they haven't bothered putting up a sign banning the carrying of firearms a phone call asking for permission might be the prompt they need to provide clarification. If there's no sign DO NOT ASK! (Said in the friendliest possible manner while using capitals :) )
That is why Phil Van Cleave (and others) have said that privateproperty (like a mall) is best to CC if you can (have the permit, etc). If you drive them to a decision on the matter they mightput up a sign that then bans people that ALWAYS cc anyway and were never a concern to the mall owners. It's a slippery slope.

Pagan

imported post

If they don't want gun owner business then let's not give it to them. In this economy our dollar is just as good as some liberal sheep that will bow down to whatever is put upon them.

One more reason to have an active list of pro 2A stores and not friendly 2A. Support those that defend the constitution.

Plato

imported post

MacArthur Mall is exactly the same as Waterside-owned by NRHA, leased to a private management company (Taubman). The City built, owns and operates the parking garage. The City has not been called upon to supplement MM's operating funds as in the case of Waterside, but it did provide significant incentives to the developers.

hpancho

MacArthur Mall is exactly the same as Waterside-owned by NRHA, leased to a private management company (Taubman). The City built, owns and operates the parking garage. The City has not been called upon to supplement MM's operating funds as in the case of Waterside, but it did provide significant incentives to the developers.

I see no mention of weapons or firearms restrictions from their Rules of Conduct:

http://www.shopmacarthur.com/rules

Closest thing would be:

4. Any act prohibited by local, state or federal laws or ordinances

But if you are carrying legally, then you are good.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I see no mention of weapons or firearms restrictions from their Rules of Conduct:

http://www.shopmacarthur.com/rules

Closest thing would be:

4. Any act prohibited by local, state or federal laws or ordinances

But if you are carrying legally, then you are good.

As with all good lawyer-written documents, they carefully left themselves a loophole:

"The foregoing list of prohibited activities is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all prohibited activities on the Property, and management reserves the right to prohibit any activity or conduct which is detrimental to or inconsistent with a first-class, family oriented shopping center. Management’s interpretation of these Rules of Conduct is conclusive and binding."​

If management decides to make an ad-hoc decision that OC or CC is "detrimental to or inconsistent with a first-class, family oriented shopping center," then they may ask you to leave.

That being said, I would agree that there is no specific notice given that prohibits one from OCing.

ocholsteroc

Heres the deal,
My Mother talked to a police officer once at the mall AND a rent a cop at the mall. Both said no carrying. But there is no signs to enforce that. You shouldn't OC there IMO, if they post a sign then its a no no.

I have heard of others OCing at the mall but around the food places.

Last edited: