Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: MWAA Police and Regan National Airport..

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran joeamt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    So, I am working the midnight shift at DCA.... I got in about 8:30pm last night...

    Around Midnight, two MWAA police officers track me down and ask me about my gun in my truck.. I tell them that, yes I have a gun, and I also have a concealed license.. etc... SO - one of them tells me that they want to check my credentials and run the gun, and I tell them that I don't believe that they have any right to make or require me to submit to this. He goes on about how TSA has these "behavior experts" that will get ahold of this and go to town on it if I do not submit to thier request.. Anyway, I am on the clock, and don't want any troubles with my employer, so I tell the officers that even though i believe they have no sufficient evidence or suspicion, I will go unlock my vehicle. They drive me down to the employee lot where i hand my keys to one of the officers, he then unlocks my vehicle, and takes my 1911 out of my center console. Before we got to this point, when the officer asked about it being loaded, I requested that it be left in the holster and NOT CLEARED. However, upon removing my gun, they proceeded to drop the mag and clear my weapon. I did make it clear there was no reason to clear my gun just to get a serial number from it. They asked for and recieved my VA DL, and my Concealed License, and then took pictures of my unloaded 1911 before handing it back to me minus the holster (i had to remind them to give that back.). All of this took 45-50 mins out of my shift work, and I felt violated. Especially because I specifically asked not to clear my gun. Nonetheless, i have to wait 3 business days to request the police report, which i told the officers i would get due to the fact that i thought what they were doing was going a little too far.



    JoeAMT

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    If it were me, I would be not comply with their request, but not stop them either from doing what they wanted to do.

    4th and 5th amendments, ya know

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Only you know what is right for you at this type of request.

    I believe I would have answered that I do not consent to a search of my property without reasonable articulable suspicion of wrongdoing (RAS), but then I don't have to work there every day.

    Did you file a complaint report? They requested your DL (you weren't driving); you're not required to have a CHL to have a gun in the console if you stored it there and then immediately exited the vehicle; and they used threats "TSA will go to town on you" to get their way.

    Did you have a recorder?

    This sounds like they're trying to intimidate you into leaving your gun at home in the future.

    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    One question: Was your 1911 hidden from common observation or out out in plain view? You only say it was in the center console.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    Give them nothing. Never ever consent to a search.

    Threatening to report you to the TSA to get you to forfeit your constitutional rights gets them the JBT of the day award.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    In my short 33 years of life I have met 5 yes 5 honorable and good LEO's, the rest have always been thuggs with badges. But had it not been for these 5 good officers, I truely believeI would be at war with law enforcement, literally. One of the best things we as freedom loving American's can do to rid ourselves of this corruption and thuggery is to get involved in law enforcement.

    I have recently discovered a little known program in our wonderful commonwealth called "special conservator of the peace" which is something I will getting into very soon, volunteer law enforcement with full arrest authority,but not for a pay check or promotion, but becauseI actually give a damn about my fellow citizens.

    Just had to vent because of the story above.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    joeamt wrote:
    two MWAA police officers track me down and ask me about my gun in my truck
    How did they know?
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  8. #8
    Regular Member BUBB4H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Centreville, VA, ,
    Posts
    165

    Post imported post

    Yeah, that was my first question. How did they know?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    "Yougonna to need a warrant for that" - Jay-Z

    Look what they had no right to do: Run your CHP, run your SN on your gun, take a photograph of your gun.

    Congrats, your firearm is now "registered" with the government - all under the guise of "safety"

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Just a reminder...


    [flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/6wXkI4t7nuc&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  11. #11
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Man, that's a great video. I've watched it a couple of times over the past few months.

    ALWAYS TAKE THE FIFTH.

    Say nothing. Unless they present a warrant for search, accede to nothing.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    There is no reason to check the gun if they already know it is your gun in your truck.
    Ownership is established. Since you work there they felt they could and did
    intimidate. But look what it gets you to cooperate. Misshandling your property,
    and attempted theft. I would have let them leave with the holster, and called in
    the armed robbery myself at that point.
    Gun crime in secured airport area, they would be screwed.

    So in future do not hand over keys, if they empty your pockets then use your
    keys to enter your locked car you have a better cause of action.
    And check your console for any suprises that might have been left.



  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    SlackwareRobert wrote:
    Gun crime in secured airport area
    Well.. if HE was there.. he would be screwed and arrested.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  14. #14
    Regular Member Smurfologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    536

    Post imported post

    Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!? I believe it is, but, I just want to be sure.

    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Smurfologist wrote:
    Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!? I believe it is, but, I just want to be sure.
    Yes. Some places have area code 202 phoen numbers but the property is in VA
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  16. #16
    Regular Member Smurfologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    536

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    Smurfologist wrote:
    Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!? I believe it is, but, I just want to be sure.
    Yes. Some places have area code 202 phoen numbers but the property is in VA
    You're Da Man, Ed!! Thanks!!

    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

  17. #17
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Smurfologist wrote:
    Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!?
    There is one boat dock that is ... not in VA.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    joeamt wrote:
    So, I am working the midnight shift at DCA.... I got in about 8:30pm last night...

    Around Midnight, two MWAA police officers track me down and ask me about my gun in my truck.. I tell them that, yes I have a gun, and I also have a concealed license.. etc... SO - one of them tells me that they want to check my credentials and run the gun, and I tell them that I don't believe that they have any right to make or require me to submit to this. He goes on about how TSA has these "behavior experts" that will get ahold of this and go to town on it if I do not submit to thier request.. Anyway, I am on the clock, and don't want any troubles with my employer, so I tell the officers that even though i believe they have no sufficient evidence or suspicion, I will go unlock my vehicle. They drive me down to the employee lot where i hand my keys to one of the officers, he then unlocks my vehicle, and takes my 1911 out of my center console. Before we got to this point, when the officer asked about it being loaded, I requested that it be left in the holster and NOT CLEARED. However, upon removing my gun, they proceeded to drop the mag and clear my weapon. I did make it clear there was no reason to clear my gun just to get a serial number from it. They asked for and recieved my VA DL, and my Concealed License, and then took pictures of my unloaded 1911 before handing it back to me minus the holster (i had to remind them to give that back.). All of this took 45-50 mins out of my shift work, and I felt violated. Especially because I specifically asked not to clear my gun. Nonetheless, i have to wait 3 business days to request the police report, which i told the officers i would get due to the fact that i thought what they were doing was going a little too far.


    JoeAMT
    Neither MWAA nor Virginia has any statute preventing you from having a gun in your vehyilce at Reagan - you should know this. You also presumably know you need no permit to have a concealed gun in your truck provided you are not in the truck or just getting out/in, per 2007 Va. S. Ct. decision.

    You should not have given these officers the time of day.



  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    There is one boat dock that is ... not in VA.
    oh? where's that?
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  20. #20
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    Runway 19. I don't think he parks there though.



  21. #21
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Smurfologist wrote:
    Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!?
    There is one boat dock that is ... not in VA.
    I was going to say, yes, but as soon as you are in, or over, any part of the river, you are in DC... I'm not sure about the little inlet off Gravely Point. It's water, but it is an inlet on the Virginia side, not sure how the state line runs in that area. Google has a dotted line that runs all the way back to the bridge, so if that's accurate, the dock at Gravely Point is in DC.

    http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ll=38.86...03977&z=17

    TFred

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran joeamt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    The gun was in plain view.



    They knew, because they saw it, and ran my hangtag, which is registered to me and my employer on the airport. because of the hangtag on my rearview, they found me quickly.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    joeamt wrote:
    The gun was in plain view.



    They knew, because they saw it, and ran my hangtag, which is registered to me and my employer on the airport. because of the hangtag on my rearview, they found me quickly.
    OUCH. You left a loaded pistol in plain view in a parking lot? I don't care how well it's guarded, that doesn't seem smart.

    Which means I'm rushing to judgment, and i try not to do that. Why was it in plain sight if you weren't there?

    Of course, all it gives them is the idea that it's a prime theft target, and they will probably excuse their actions in the name of "public safety" in that case.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran joeamt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    OUCH. You left a loaded pistol in plain view in a parking lot? I don't care how well it's guarded, that doesn't seem smart.

    Which means I'm rushing to judgment, and i try not to do that. Why was it in plain sight if you weren't there?

    Of course, all it gives them is the idea that it's a prime theft target, and they will probably excuse their actions in the name of "public safety" in that case.



    Yes. I realize that. I didn't put it in it's place. Still dosen't give them the right to tell me the 'are' going to do it. Still within the boundries of the law. I realize the "public safety" and prime theft target statement, and i don't think it should have been left visible to the outside without me there... but still, does it make me an automatic criminal?


  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    joeamt wrote:
    Yes. I realize that. I didn't put it in it's place. Still dosen't give them the right to tell me the 'are' going to do it. Still within the boundries of the law. I realize the "public safety" and prime theft target statement, and i don't think it should have been left visible to the outside without me there... but still, does it make me an automatic criminal?
    Oh, hell no. Except they believe so <grin>.

    I only meant they now have an out. They can say they didn't want you to become a target for a thief ... blah, blah, blah .....
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •