• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAA Police and Regan National Airport..

TFred

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!?
There is one boat dock that is ... not in VA.
I was going to say, yes, but as soon as you are in, or over, any part of the river, you are in DC... I'm not sure about the little inlet off Gravely Point. It's water, but it is an inlet on the Virginia side, not sure how the state line runs in that area. Google has a dotted line that runs all the way back to the bridge, so if that's accurate, the dock at Gravely Point is in DC.

http://maps.google.com/?t=h&ll=38.862994,-77.03977&z=17

TFred

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The gun was in plain view.

They knew, because they saw it, and ran my hangtag, which is registered to me and my employer on the airport. because of the hangtag on my rearview, they found me quickly.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

joeamt wrote:
The gun was in plain view.

They knew, because they saw it, and ran my hangtag, which is registered to me and my employer on the airport. because of the hangtag on my rearview, they found me quickly.
OUCH. You left a loaded pistol in plain view in a parking lot? I don't care how well it's guarded, that doesn't seem smart.

Which means I'm rushing to judgment, and i try not to do that. Why was it in plain sight if you weren't there?

Of course, all it gives them is the idea that it's a prime theft target, and they will probably excuse their actions in the name of "public safety" in that case.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
OUCH. You left a loaded pistol in plain view in a parking lot? I don't care how well it's guarded, that doesn't seem smart.

Which means I'm rushing to judgment, and i try not to do that. Why was it in plain sight if you weren't there?

Of course, all it gives them is the idea that it's a prime theft target, and they will probably excuse their actions in the name of "public safety" in that case.

Yes. I realize that. I didn't put it in it's place. Still dosen't give them the right to tell me the 'are' going to do it. Still within the boundries of the law. I realize the "public safety" and prime theft target statement, and i don't think it should have been left visible to the outside without me there... but still, does it make me an automatic criminal?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

joeamt wrote:
Yes. I realize that. I didn't put it in it's place. Still dosen't give them the right to tell me the 'are' going to do it. Still within the boundries of the law. I realize the "public safety" and prime theft target statement, and i don't think it should have been left visible to the outside without me there... but still, does it make me an automatic criminal?
Oh, hell no. Except they believe so <grin>.

I only meant they now have an out. They can say they didn't want you to become a target for a thief ... blah, blah, blah .....

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will request the official report tomorrow just to make sure there are no discrepancies in the report to what actually happened...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Runway 19. I don't think he parks there though. :lol:
I don't "believe" that line.. I think the dotted line was just drawn as an approximation, not a survey. Even the RUNWAY lights that extend way out into the water are "in" virginia and on the airport property (for actionable reasons) but you can pull up next to them in a boat and be in DC.

Near my house.. there is a park.. if you bend down and drink the nasty potomac watter and drown.. it is a maryland drowning because the state line is whe watres edge.. so it move with the tide.

I have been all over that DCA airport :)

I have even stood at the end of the runway!

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Runway 19. I don't think he parks there though. :lol:
I don't "believe" that line.. I think the dotted line was just drawn as an approximation, not a survey. Even the RUNWAY lights that extend way out into the water are "in" virginia and on the airport property (for actionable reasons) but you can pull up next to them in a boat and be in DC.

Near my house.. there is a park.. if you bend down and drink the nasty potomac watter and drown.. it is a maryland drowning because the state line is whe watres edge.. so it move with the tide.

I have been all over that DCA airport :)

I have even stood at the end of the runway!
I certainly don't have any specific information to disagree with your statements, other than what I understand generally about how it works. It was my understanding that the state line is defined as the "low water mark", so during most of the time (other than actual "low tide") there would be a little bit of water in Virginia. That would tend to me much more logical, otherwise during a flooding incident, much of the Virginia shore line would suddenly be in Maryland!

The lights on airport property thing doesn't make sense to me either. Why wouldn't the lights still be in DC? There are numerous examples of businesses building restaurants or actual bars (as opposed to Virginia's "restaurant-bars") on pilings in the water specifically so they will be in Maryland, even though the parking lot is in Virginia. I just can't imagine the state line changing simply because someone builds a set of lights in the river.

Just trying to figure it out... :)

TFred

ed

imported post

from mwaa faq's
Both Airports are physically located in Virginia, but have Washington, D.C., mailing addresses. Where are the Airports located legally?Reagan National: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport is located in Virginia. Federal law and Virginia Code both state the airport is "situated within the Commonwealth of Virginia" (see 59 Stat. 552 (1945); 1950 Va. Code Sec 7.1-10 (1983)). There are also court decisions holding the airport is located in Virginia (see Pfister v. Director, Office of Workers Compensation, etc., 675 F.2d 1314, 1315-16 (D.C. Cir. 1982); and Bryan v. District of Columbia Unemployment Compensation Board, 342 A.2d 45 (D.C. Ct. App. 1975)).

Dulles: Washington Dulles International Airport was built on Virginia land acquired by the federal government.

When the federal government operated the Airports prior to 1987, both had a Washington, D.C. postal address. To help identify the service area more easily for travelers, the Authority did not change the addresses.

ed

imported post

more...

- - -

September 01, 2004

Airports Authority To Hold Public Hearing on Proposed Regulation Change

[align=center]Amendment Would Change MWAA Regulations Regarding Weapons On Airport Property [/align]
[align=left]The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which operates Reagan National and Dulles International Airports, will conduct a Public Hearing on proposed amendments to the Authority Regulations regarding the possession of weapons on Airport property. The hearing will be held on Wednesday, September 8th at the Hyatt Dulles in Herndon Virginia at 7:00 p.m.[/align]
[align=left]The Authority's current regulation (which was adopted in 1987 when the Airports were transferred from the federal government to the regional authority) does not allow anyone to bring on Authority property dangerous weapons unless the person is authorized by federal law to carry a weapon aboard an airplane, or the weapon is deactivated and properly checked as baggage promptly upon arrival at the Airport, or it is properly packaged for shipment by air or by a freight company. The regulation applies everywhere on Airport property, including the Dulles Access Highway and the Dulles Toll Road, Virginia Route 28 and Virginia Route 606. (Metropolitan Washington Airports Regulation §8.4.)[/align]
[align=left]The Authority proposes to revise its regulations to permit the carriage of weapons on the roadways and elsewhere on the public areas of the Airports. Consistent with the heightened security environment at the airports, the proposed regulation would continue to prohibit dangerous weapons from the terminals, the airfields, and buildings opening directly onto the airfields, provided that signs are posted giving the public notice of the regulation. [/align]
[align=left]The proposal is designed to focus the Authority weapons regulation on specific areas of the Airports where the Authority has a heightened concern for security. [/align]
[align=left]The law of the Commonwealth of Virginia permits a person to carry a gun in a way that is open and obvious or carry a gun that is concealed provided that the individual has a permit to carry a concealed weapon. That law has recently been amended to prohibit the carriage of guns into any air carrier (as distinguished from general aviation) airport terminal. [/align]
[align=left]The Hyatt Dulles is located at 2300 Dulles Corner Boulevard in Herndon. Any person may appear and be heard for or against the proposed amendments. Speakers are requested to limit their remarks to 5 minutes. [/align]
[align=left]Written comments on the proposal may be addressed to Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, Office of the General Counsel, 1 Aviation Circle, Washington D.C. 20001. Written comments must be received not later than September 10, 2004, to be assured of consideration.[/align]
[align=left]Comments and questions may be e-mailed to airportsregs@mwaa.com. The Airport Authority's Regulations can be found Here.[/align]

SlackwareRobert

imported post

ed wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:
Gun crime in secured airport area
Well.. if HE was there.. he would be screwed and arrested.
If there is someone collecting money to get your car out, it is secured.
Maybe not by the feds, but let them argue the difference after being arrested.

Been a couple of decades, but isn't there employee only sign for their parking?
Kidnapping when taken to his car also maybe? Remember Patty Hurst
also co-operated with the goons.

As for leaving a gun in plain sight, that is just crazy, don't you know the DC
police will not stand for you VA's tempting thier law abiding citizens like that. :banghead:

I will give some ground on that dumb move, especialy for a 1911, a sat night
special maybe you could argue it is a piece of junk. But you just don't try
and loose a good gun that way.
Wonder what the car insurence would say about a claim?

But if he learned from this, and remembers the next time, then it wasn't to bad
for the learning experience.

I hate the new airport setup, I wanted to go through Regan so I could drop my
carryon in a locker, and go see my folks gravesite in Arlngton.
No lockers anymore and taking bags outside security was not an option.
It was enough trouble getting them through security in Vermont.

I was shocked the USA Today building wasn't anymore though.

darthmord

imported post

I would have gone out, secured my weapon in the vehicle out of plain view, and thanked the officers for reminding me to store it better next time.

If they wanted to search my vehicle or run my numbers or whatnot, then they'd need to get a warrant. If they were unhappy with that, then I'd be calling a lawyer.

hellfogg

imported post

darthmord wrote:
I would have gone out, secured my weapon in the vehicle out of plain view, and thanked the officers for reminding me to store it better next time.

If they wanted to search my vehicle or run my numbers or whatnot, then they'd need to get a warrant. If they were unhappy with that, then I'd be calling a lawyer.
+1 :D

ed

imported post

darthmord wrote:

+1

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
I am glad that Joe was not arrested.

Video snipped....

It could have been worse:
Ed, was this an illegal stop for VA? I thought certain stops were deemed constitutional by SCOTUS. I seem (little foggy here) to remember being asked for my DL and registration last time I was stopped at a roadside checkpoint.

ed

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Ed, was this an illegal stop for VA? I thought certain stops were deemed constitutional by SCOTUS. I seem (little foggy here) to remember being asked for my DL and registration last time I was stopped at a roadside checkpoint.
Not sure.. it says VSP which would be my guess that it was VA. I did not have alot of time when I posted it.. so I did not post my reasons for posting it. I really wanted to say I am glad Joe was not arrested. It looks like this woman knew her stuff... she was concise and polite and apparently even had a recorder on her. Maybe her showing her DL would have stopped the whole thing... but at midnight, with no recorder in an airport parking lot, I am saying it could have been worse for Joe. I am eager to learn ALL the details of the stop and the outcome.