• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAA Police and Regan National Airport..

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So, I am working the midnight shift at DCA.... I got in about 8:30pm last night...

Around Midnight, two MWAA police officers track me down and ask me about my gun in my truck.. I tell them that, yes I have a gun, and I also have a concealed license.. etc... SO - one of them tells me that they want to check my credentials and run the gun, and I tell them that I don't believe that they have any right to make or require me to submit to this. He goes on about how TSA has these "behavior experts" that will get ahold of this and go to town on it if I do not submit to thier request.. Anyway, I am on the clock, and don't want any troubles with my employer, so I tell the officers that even though i believe they have no sufficient evidence or suspicion, I will go unlock my vehicle. They drive me down to the employee lot where i hand my keys to one of the officers, he then unlocks my vehicle, and takes my 1911 out of my center console. Before we got to this point, when the officer asked about it being loaded, I requested that it be left in the holster and NOT CLEARED. However, upon removing my gun, they proceeded to drop the mag and clear my weapon. I did make it clear there was no reason to clear my gun just to get a serial number from it. They asked for and recieved my VA DL, and my Concealed License, and then took pictures of my unloaded 1911 before handing it back to me minus the holster (i had to remind them to give that back.). All of this took 45-50 mins out of my shift work, and I felt violated. Especially because I specifically asked not to clear my gun. Nonetheless, i have to wait 3 business days to request the police report, which i told the officers i would get due to the fact that i thought what they were doing was going a little too far.

JoeAMT

nova

imported post

If it were me, I would be not comply with their request, but not stop them either from doing what they wanted to do.

4th and 5th amendments, ya know :)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Only you know what is right for you at this type of request.

I believe I would have answered that I do not consent to a search of my property without reasonable articulable suspicion of wrongdoing (RAS), but then I don't have to work there every day.

Did you file a complaint report? They requested your DL (you weren't driving); you're not required to have a CHL to have a gun in the console if you stored it there and then immediately exited the vehicle; and they used threats "TSA will go to town on you" to get their way.

Did you have a recorder?

This sounds like they're trying to intimidate you into leaving your gun at home in the future.

IanB

imported post

One question: Was your 1911 hidden from common observation or out out in plain view? You only say it was in the center console.

Thundar

imported post

Give them nothing. Never ever consent to a search.

Threatening to report you to the TSA to get you to forfeit your constitutional rights gets them the JBT of the day award.

Pagan

imported post

In my short 33 years of life I have met 5 yes 5 honorable and good LEO's, the rest have always been thuggs with badges. But had it not been for these 5 good officers, I truely believeI would be at war with law enforcement, literally. One of the best things we as freedom loving American's can do to rid ourselves of this corruption and thuggery is to get involved in law enforcement.

I have recently discovered a little known program in our wonderful commonwealth called "special conservator of the peace" which is something I will getting into very soon, volunteer law enforcement with full arrest authority,but not for a pay check or promotion, but becauseI actually give a damn about my fellow citizens.

Just had to vent because of the story above.:cuss:

hsmith

imported post

"Yougonna to need a warrant for that" - Jay-Z

Look what they had no right to do: Run your CHP, run your SN on your gun, take a photograph of your gun.

Congrats, your firearm is now "registered" with the government - all under the guise of "safety"

wylde007

imported post

Man, that's a great video. I've watched it a couple of times over the past few months.

ALWAYS TAKE THE FIFTH.

Say nothing. Unless they present a warrant for search, accede to nothing.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

There is no reason to check the gun if they already know it is your gun in your truck.
Ownership is established. Since you work there they felt they could and did
intimidate. But look what it gets you to cooperate. Misshandling your property,
and attempted theft. I would have let them leave with the holster, and called in
the armed robbery myself at that point.
Gun crime in secured airport area, they would be screwed.

So in future do not hand over keys, if they empty your pockets then use your
keys to enter your locked car you have a better cause of action.
And check your console for any suprises that might have been left.:cuss::cuss:

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ed wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!? I believe it is, but, I just want to be sure.
Yes. Some places have area code 202 phoen numbers but the property is in VA

You're Da Man, Ed!! Thanks!!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

IanB

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
Forgive me, but, is it safe to assume that all of Reagan National Airport is in Virginia?!?
There is one boat dock that is ... not in VA.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

joeamt wrote:
So, I am working the midnight shift at DCA.... I got in about 8:30pm last night...

Around Midnight, two MWAA police officers track me down and ask me about my gun in my truck.. I tell them that, yes I have a gun, and I also have a concealed license.. etc... SO - one of them tells me that they want to check my credentials and run the gun, and I tell them that I don't believe that they have any right to make or require me to submit to this. He goes on about how TSA has these "behavior experts" that will get ahold of this and go to town on it if I do not submit to thier request.. Anyway, I am on the clock, and don't want any troubles with my employer, so I tell the officers that even though i believe they have no sufficient evidence or suspicion, I will go unlock my vehicle. They drive me down to the employee lot where i hand my keys to one of the officers, he then unlocks my vehicle, and takes my 1911 out of my center console. Before we got to this point, when the officer asked about it being loaded, I requested that it be left in the holster and NOT CLEARED. However, upon removing my gun, they proceeded to drop the mag and clear my weapon. I did make it clear there was no reason to clear my gun just to get a serial number from it. They asked for and recieved my VA DL, and my Concealed License, and then took pictures of my unloaded 1911 before handing it back to me minus the holster (i had to remind them to give that back.). All of this took 45-50 mins out of my shift work, and I felt violated. Especially because I specifically asked not to clear my gun. Nonetheless, i have to wait 3 business days to request the police report, which i told the officers i would get due to the fact that i thought what they were doing was going a little too far.

JoeAMT
Neither MWAA nor Virginia has any statute preventing you from having a gun in your vehyilce at Reagan - you should know this. You also presumably know you need no permit to have a concealed gun in your truck provided you are not in the truck or just getting out/in, per 2007 Va. S. Ct. decision.

You should not have given these officers the time of day.