• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPINION: Gun Lobby Continues to Push Extreme Agenda

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

This web page also includes polls on campus carry and other gun related polls, hit them if you wish. :D

All comments in red are mine. Sorry, I could not resist! :p

opposingviews.com/articles/opinion-gun-lobby-continues-to-push-extreme-agenda

OPINION: Gun Lobby Continues to Push Extreme Agenda

By Freedom States Alliance, Working to Prevent Gun Violence

In case you haven't noticed, the pro-gun lobby is continuing to push its extreme agenda.

Let us ask you a handful of questions.

Would you be willing to:

* Sip hot chocolate with your toddler at Starbucks while a fellow patron openly displays a gun at the table next to you? [Been there, done that...] KJ

* Attend a church service with your entire family knowing that the fellow parishioner sitting next to you has a handgun tucked in his belt?[That armed parishioner is my wife!] KJ

Stand in line at a bank to make a deposit as two men enter with baseball hats on and what appear to be guns in their pockets?[Or are they just happy to see me?] KJ

* Board a crowded bus with your newborn child with upwards of 5 other passengers carrying concealed weapons? [Sounds like the safest bus in townif you askme!] KJ

Unbeknownst to most Americans, these scenarios are already perfectly legal in many parts of the United States and are occurring with more frequency and bravado. Next time you take your child on an outing with you, think about how many people within earshot may be carrying a gun as you wait in line at the aquarium, sit in a theater watching a movie, or shop at the local grocery store.

This is exactly the kind of America the gun lobby is pushing for and creating all around us. They won't be satisfied until every nook and cranny is saturated with Berettas, Colts and Smith & Wessons. [What, no GLOCKS?:(] KJ

Consider these recent legislative initiatives:

* The Arkansas House just voted to allow guns in churches--despite strong opposition from pastors.

* On January 9th, it became legal to carry loaded weapons into national parks after a more than 20 year ban.

* A bill to allow the open carrying of handguns has been sponsored in South Carolina--one of only 6 states remaining that do not currently allow open carry in some form.

* Utah allows college students to keep guns in their dorms and carry concealed weapons on campus. [Let's not forget that open carry on a Utah campus is legal as well!] KJ

* An Illinois panel has recommended that Illinois residents be allowed to carry guns in public--one of only two states remaining that bar the practice. [If this is is not an inacurate statement, then I don't know what is!] KJ

* A panel in Tennessee has recommended four bills for legislative approval including allowing concealed weapons in playgrounds and bars.

* This problem is deadly serious. Guns kill more than 30,000 people in the United States each year. [How many of these guns belong to the police?] KJ

Unless American's wake up to what is happening all around them and take action to stop it, the seemingly far-fetched examples of every day outings turned into repeated encounters with armed citizens will become all to real.

After all, leaving decision-making about where and when to use a gun to ordinary citizens packing heat in restaurants, theaters and parks is a frightening prospect. [God forbid that ORDINARY CITIZENS be allowed to make their own decisions!] KJ

Our nation is being held hostage by the gun lobby's extremist agenda.

It's time we turned the clock on this deadly trend before America's children are sitting in school with armed teachers and abnormal behavior becomes the new norm.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Notice how many "examples" and pleas are "for/about the children". The ploys of these idiots never cease to amaze me. Their arrogance (and ignorance) is appalling. And their willingness to further submit my rights to the waste basket is unconscionable.

darthmord

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
It's time we turned the clock on this deadly trend before America's children are sitting in school with armed teachers and abnormal behavior becomes the new norm.

It's only abnormal because people who were afraid of an inanimate object decided to villify them. Once upon a time (not that many years ago) being armed was commonplace and people were very polite / courteous. It was the normal mode of bearing. I see nothing wrong with moving back toward that ideal.

If all the gun deaths that have happened over time had occurred using hammers, then hammers would be equally villified as guns are now. People seek to avoid responsibility for their own actions. It's easier to blame an object than themselves.

Besides, my child would likely be safer in a classroom where the teachers were armed.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

After all, leaving decision-making about where and when to use a gun to ordinary citizens packing heat in restaurants, theaters and parks is a frightening prospect.

As opposed to the extra-ordinary citizens who authored this article?

FMCDH

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
We are already there, and the practice is growing. Thank you Texas for spearheading this. To date, no shooting of any kind has taken place in these schools.

All the actions this guy is describing are already common place and "the norm" all across the country. How many shootings do we see at Starbucks, and on buses, and in banks, all where law abiding citizens carry firearms? Hmm....none.

Amazing how the mear presence of a gun does not cause anyone to be shot.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
* This problem is deadly serious. Guns kill more than 30,000 people in the United States each year.
I'd ask them to please show me a gun that killed someone of it's own free will. I asked my 8 year old daughter if guns are dangerous. She replied "only if they are used wrong". She must be smarter than they are.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

FMCDH wrote:
We are already there, and the practice is growing. Thank you Texas for spearheading this. To date, no shooting of any kind has taken place in these schools.

There's that Texas mumbo-jumbo again...

Does nobody realize that that in Utah there is not one single public school that is allowed to regulate firearm possession? If a person has a concealed firearm permit issued by the State of Utah, then that person may posses, openly or concealed, the firearm of their choice in any Utah public school without fear of legal action, loss of employmentor academic sanction.

I would say that Utah is the silent spearhead, but according to Michael Guzman, we are too podunk to matter anyways.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

What you haven't trained her how to make them dangeous to the bad guy who
wishes her harm yet! For shame joining the ranks of brady.
Eight is plenty to learn to shoot the smaller cals, and 20 guage. For short arms
the breach loading work nice on the shotgun.

If the preacher wants to put up a no gun signs in his church, is there
something that makes it a crime?

But a ball cap in the bank.... I do hope it isn't Dan's BMWAG hat, or
I would have to loose my place in line to shake his hand.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Sip hot chocolate with your toddler at Starbucks while a fellow patron openly displays a gun at the table next to you?

At the first San Diego open carry lunch, El Indio was filled with pistol packin' patrons. Two young women came in and asked "what's the deal with all the guns". After it was explained they said "I bet this is the safest place in San Diego right now."

See? "Ordinary" citizens "get it"!

Huck

imported post

After reading all the PSH from the antis about open carry it occured to me that there's a added benfit to OCing; not only does OCing keep the crooks away but it also keeps the annoyinglibs away. Hell, that guarentees great company! :)

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
What you haven't trained her how to make them dangeous to the bad guy who
wishes her harm yet! For shame joining the ranks of brady.
Eight is plenty to learn to shoot the smaller cals, and 20 guage. For short arms
the breach loading work nice on the shotgun.

If the preacher wants to put up a no gun signs in his church, is there
something that makes it a crime?

But a ball cap in the bank.... I do hope it isn't Dan's BMWAG hat, or
I would have to loose my place in line to shake his hand.
Oooooooo! I hope you're kidding!;) She DOES know how to shoot. I bought a .22 rifle just for her to shoot. She does well, and she knows exactly why I carry, and what will happen to anyone who tries to hurt her or me. As far as I'm concerned, that's not a "wrong" usage, and I am teaching her as such. Oh, and it goes without saying, she's learning "safety first".

FMCDH

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

There's that Texas mumbo-jumbo again...

Does nobody realize that that in Utah there is not one single public school that is allowed to regulate firearm possession? If a person has a concealed firearm permit issued by the State of Utah, then that person may posses, openly or concealed, the firearm of their choice in any Utah public school without fear of legal action, loss of employmentor academic sanction.

I would say that Utah is the silent spearhead, but according to Michael Guzman, we are too podunk to matter anyways.
Texas just gets the press I guess. :p

Very cool fact about Utah. I had forgotten.

paramedic70002

imported post

"Repeated encounters with armed citizens."

And this is bad, how?

"It's time we turned the clock..."

To when? 1985, when machine guns could still be manufactured and sold to civilians? None were used illegally. 1967, when you could buy a rifle from a catalog and have it delivered to your home by the USPS? Was that a big problem? 1955, when kids took rifles on school buses? No school shootings then. 1940, when America's youth were well schooled in marksmanship, and we won WWII? 1933, when we did not have to pay a $200 tax to own a machine gun? 1870, when cowboys roamed the towns and prairies with a six shooter and a lever action? 1860, before the Civil War, before racially motivated laws prohibited concealed weapons? 1776, when virtually every citizen was well practiced with the 'assault rifle' of the era, and used it to win independence from Britain?

MetalChris

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
"Repeated encounters with armed citizens."

And this is bad, how?

"It's time we turned the clock..."

To when? 1985, when machine guns could still be manufactured and sold to civilians? None were used illegally. 1967, when you could buy a rifle from a catalog and have it delivered to your home by the USPS? Was that a big problem? 1955, when kids took rifles on school buses? No school shootings then. 1940, when America's youth were well schooled in marksmanship, and we won WWII? 1933, when we did not have to pay a $200 tax to own a machine gun? 1870, when cowboys roamed the towns and prairies with a six shooter and a lever action? 1860, before the Civil War, before racially motivated laws prohibited concealed weapons? 1776, when virtually every citizen was well practiced with the 'assault rifle' of the era, and used it to win independence from Britain?
You're such an extremist. The nanny police will be at your door shortly. (And mine, by the way ;))

brokenbarrel

imported post

i once had a lady freak out at a gas station in burbank cuz she wuz on the other side of the pump and all she seen was my gun in its holster(im an armed guard) anyways she leaned over futher to see me and then said oh thank god(cuz of my uniform)and then said oh i was in a robbery once...i just looked at her and said you too with a smirk on my face...she said you gun rights Ahole and drove off in her bmw.-bet she would of wanted me there during that robbery hunh!!!;)

YllwFvr

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
I'd ask them to please show me a gun that killed someone of it's own free will. I asked my 8 year old daughter if guns are dangerous. She replied "only if they are used wrong". She must be smarter than they are.
You havea wonderful little girl from the sounds of it. Very smart! That made my day.