• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

story of open carry (one of my first trials of OC)

o2manrrt

imported post

So, i've recently been toying with the idea of OC'ing, i've been CC for awhile now and although i don't mind it one bit, i think i have the right to OC if I want. So, 1st trip out was to my local Mcdonalds before work, wearing my Glock 27 w/Uncle Mike's Kydex Paddle Holster. No one even took a second gander at my weapon. I thought ok, this was a trial run, nothing out of the ordinary here. I then go to lunch, leave work, put on my weapon and go to a Subway for lunch. I walk in and the place is CRAWLING with guys/gals in fatigues w/guns,ammo,cuffs hanging all over. I gotta tell ya, my heartrate went up about 20 points instantly. Now at work I dress in a tie,button down shirt, slacks and look fairly professional. I just calmly waited in line and ordered my sandwich and ate my lunch, again no one even blinked!!!!!! :shock:No one said a word!!!

I don't guess it will always be that easy, but it sure did help my self esteem about OC.

Do you think that the way your dressed and perceived makes a difference when you OC?

Let me hear your thoughts

JohnKelly

imported post

Where in KY did you OC?

Any idea who the guys in fatigues were (probably LEO considering they had cuffs)?

o2manrrt

imported post

Owensboro KY

I'm assuming that all of them were cops, it was pretty wild them not even looking twice.

chris in va

imported post

Boy, talk about trial by fire! Good job.

Dress definitely makes or breaks an OC experience. People have in their minds the BG will be dressed with pants down to their knees and wearing a baggy shirt. Stereotyping, but true.

intellavore

imported post

I've been open carrying for about a year now. I wear my 9mm in a dropleg holster. I don't dress like a profesional. I dress like the average Joe. And I get no flak at all. People come up to me and ask where they can get a license to carry like I am. They are amazed that you don't need one. (that is why I carry dropleg by the way, to entice conversation) I'm in Bowling Green, and there are more cops here than you can throw a stick at and they have never bothered me. Just don't look shady and everything will be allright. But don't go into BurgerKings with your gun. They will call the cops. The ones here have it posted on one door but not the other, so always look closely.

o2manrrt

imported post

Since i've started open carrying, ihave started being a little more aware of the postings on the door, usually if i was concealed, i wouldn't think twice. I've been testing several places with OC and so far i've not had any flack what so ever. Kindof surprising really

:dude:

fox689

imported post

intellavore wrote:
I've been open carrying for about a year now. I wear my 9mm in a dropleg holster. I don't dress like a profesional. I dress like the average Joe. And I get no flak at all. People come up to me and ask where they can get a license to carry like I am. They are amazed that you don't need one. (that is why I carry dropleg by the way, to entice conversation) I'm in Bowling Green, and there are more cops here than you can throw a stick at and they have never bothered me. Just don't look shady and everything will be allright. But don't go into BurgerKings with your gun. They will call the cops. The ones here have it posted on one door but not the other, so always look closely.
Didn't know that about the Burger Kings and have never seen the signs. I worked at one of them for about 2 months before something better came along. Might just be me not looking for signs as I don't care unless they ask me to leave.