Thread: get together at a range

Post imported post

anybody who lives in the Huntington, south point or ashland area near wayne, wv there is a firing range that is free but you got to bring your own targets. we could arrange a get together or oc trip or something and have some fun. any suggestions for this would be great to.

Post imported post

Where is the range, exactly? Seems to me like I heard of a range in the Beach Fork Lake area, but I may just be thinking of an archery range. I grew up in Huntington, but moved to Charleston in '98. I do have family that I visit, though. I may be up for it, but I do work a lot. I actually haven't been to visit my family for a few months.

I'm all stocked up on ammo, but none of my friends seem interested.

Post imported post

yeah the range is in the beech fork area. its the same one where the preacher was killed a long time ago.

Post imported post

I'm in the Barboursville area and would be up for a range trip....I have a few friends who would like to 'learn the ropes' as they are considering first-time firearms purchases.

I've never been to the Beech Fork range, what type of facility is it ? As far as targets, are there frames available r is it just an 'empty field' type of range ? (Since the incident last year that cost that local minister his life, I've been reluctant to go out to that place by myself.)

Does anyone know what the hours of operation and/or range rules/policies are ?

Post imported post

well the range is free and it has natural backstops. it has around 6 or 7 benches and it does have a ceiling over them. the longest range is 100 yards and the shortest i think is 25 yards. the hours of operation are basically from sunrise to sunset as there are no posted times.
    do take not that it is wise to bring some type of wood or or something to post your targets on. there is usually something to hang your stuff on but sometimes they are gone or just been used to much and have fallen apart.

it really isnt bad all the people i have met out here are great guys and very friendly. my father and i usually go out there at least once a week and havent had aa problem yet.

this is off of the dnr website itself about the range.

18. Beech Fork WMA Outdoor range: 100-yard maximum backstop distance with six covered shooting benches.
    On county Route 17 behind the WMA maintenance building on Miller’s Fork.