Thread: Portsmouth

Post imported post

Portsmouth Sheriff's office requires you to be fingerprinted with the application of a CCW. Is the legal/illegal?

Post imported post

If your circuit court requires it, yes then it is legal.

If the court in your circuit does not require it, my understanding is that the Sheriff cannot set additional requirements.

I am sure I will be corrected loudly if I am wrong

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Its by local ordinance. You'll have to inquire about the ordinance to see if it was passed. If it appears to be a normal part of the process, then I'd assume its legit.

I'm kind of surprised by your question. I know you've been a participant here for a while and the subject has come up numerous times before. There has been great discussion here about the Code allowing for it if it is enacted as a local ordinance.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

I think he was just playing it safe and inquiring on behalf of someone else. You can hear some laws 500 times and it can still be confusing so we help each other out. Then again, what do you expect from one of Obama's biggest supporters.

J/k bro, at least I didn't tell them about your Obama/Biden bumper sticker!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

jermflux wrote:
    I think he was just playing it safe and inquiring on behalf of someone else. You can here some laws 500 times and it can still be confusing so we help each other out. Then again, what do you expect from one of Obama's biggest supporters.

J/k bro, at least I didn't tell them about your Obama/Biden bumper sticker!
    Gotcha...no harm in that.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Its by local ordinance. You'll have to inquire about the ordinance to see if it was passed. If it appears to be a normal part of the process, then I'd assume its legit.

I'm kind of surprised by your question. I know you've been a participant here for a while and the subject has come up numerous times before. There has been great discussion here about the Code allowing for it if it is enacted as a local ordinance.
    I was limited on time and was looking on this site and on the VSP site. I just wasn't able to find it.

The reason I came to this site for the answer....I remember the discussions on this topic. A friend is now a Portsmouth Sheriff. He said one of the duties while he is in booking was the fingerprinting of CCW applicants. The way it was sounding is the reason I questioned it at.

I was just reaching out for the help I knew I would get from the people on this site.

Thanks