• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about cwp in oregon (non-resident)

JOESEEB

imported post

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I an a Vancouver WA resident. I recently purchased a handgun andI am planning on getting my cwp in WA. Since i work in OR i would like to get one in Oregon as well. I moved to Vancouver 4 years ago from Corvallis OR. around 6 years ago I was charged with possession of less than an ounce (I was a stupid Kid) any way I have been drug free for 5 years now. I recently tried to get in to an apartment that did a full background check and my misdemeanor didn't even show up (i put down that I had one). my question is this. i know that the state law says as follows.

1. Citizen of the US or legal resident alien with at least 6 months continuous residency.
2. 21 or older.
3. Not a convicted felon.
4. Not convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor.
5. No outstanding warrants for your arrest or free on any form of pretrial release.
6. Demonstrates competence with a handgun per ORS 166.291(f).

I am a us citizen 25 years of age never been convected of a felony.

was convicted of a misdemeanor (6years ago)

have no outstanding warrants and am not on any form of release

I still need to take a class on firearms but i do not want to pay for a class if I'm going to be rejected.

will the state deny me due to my misdemeanor 6 years ago?

SKN

imported post

Statute specifies no misdemeanor conviction in the 4 years prior to application but, as an out of state resident, issuance is at the discretion of the sheriff's office you apply to.

Jeffytune

imported post

I would suggest you apply in Washington county, not Multnuma.

I think it also would depend of what type of crime you were convicted of.

And, for your own piece of mind, can you get it removed from your record?

PMartin

imported post

Practically speaking, Oregon Sherrifs have not been very cooperative at approving permits for non-residents. The law doesn't tell them they "have" to give you a permit, just that they "can". And that's not the law quote, just trying to emphasize the words :)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/5665-1.html

With that said, it appears that the Umatilla county Sherrif is being cooperative.