Thread: Upstate NY to SC via NYC

Post imported post

Hi,

I have my unrestricted NY CCW and plan on taking my pistol with me while vacationing in SC for a couple of weeks. I have to stop in NYC for a few hours before spending a night in NJ. From all that I read, it looks like I can't enter NYC if I have the handgun in the car at all. Is this true? It will be unloaded and locked and stored in the trunk.

Thanks

Post imported post

As I understand it, pistol permits are not valid in NYC which has it's own provisions under NYS penal law 400.00. If you get caught transporting a firearms in NYC, you may be subject to prosecusion. What will probably happen is they'll confiscate the firearm and notify the judge in Rochester saying you violated your permit stipulations and request your permit be recinded. I would contact the county in NYC you'll be in and verfiy to see what they suggest.

Post imported post

Hi.. I read this from an NRA site... Since I will be stopping for a few hours I guess it excludes me since it won't be a continuous drive through. I've also been reading about FOPA and think I should be OK as long as it's locked and unloaded.

NEW YORK CITY--A city permit is required for possession and transportation of handguns and long guns. New York State handgun permits are invalid within the city limits; however, New York State residents may transport their licensed handguns unloaded through the city if these are locked in a container and the trip is continuous. Long guns may be kept in the city for only 24 hours while in transit and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container or vehicle trunk for the period.