Thread: OC in Kalamazoo

Post imported post

Has anyone OCed in the city of Kalamazoo? I'm interested to know what the attitude of the Kzoo police is towards OC since that's where I live and plan to OC. I'm hoping they're already okay with it so I don't get hassled.

Thanks!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Can't say how the police would react, but I've carried in the town often, as have a good number of my family over the past 3-4 months, and have yet to have police interaction.

Post imported post

Pst. Ziggy we carried at the resturant several months ago.... In Kalamazoo

Was over 24 of us there not one problem, then went to gander mountain no problem...

Do recomend that you read (rinse and repeat ),

Post imported post

You could just email the Kalamazoo Police Chief.

When I emailed the Battle Creek PC he responded with "The state says open carry is legal and we follow state law."

A quick letter to the PC should settle your curiosity.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Edit: turns out the department I bashed was the WMU police. Different department. :?

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Thanks. I think I'll shoot an email to the PC and see what the response is. I'll post the correspondence for those who may be interested.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    Thanks. I think I'll shoot an email to the PC and see what the response is. I'll post the correspondence for those who may be interested.
    Please do, I travel there often.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

This is my email to the PC, hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. Mastiff- I have become familiar with Rinse and Repeat. Definitely good to know if stopped.

To the Kalamazoo Chief of Police,
    I am writing with a question concerning the open carry of a handgun in Michigan. It has come to my attention that with certain restrictions, open carry is legal in many places in this state. I am wondering if your department recognizes and is in compliance with these laws, as well as what actions should be taken should a person be stopped by an officer while carrying a handgun openly. Thank you for your time and guidance in this matter.

Sincerely,
    *my name here*

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    I am writing with a question concerning the open carry of a handgun in Michigan. It has come to my attention that with certain restrictions, open carry is legal in many places in this state. I am wondering if your department recognizes and is in compliance with these laws, as well as what actions should be taken should a person be stopped by an officer while carrying a handgun openly. Thank you for your time and guidance in this matter.
    I think your inquiry is fine, with the exception of "what actions should be taken should a person be stopped by an officer . . .". In our communications with LE organizations, we should not ask for their opinion on how to conduct ourselves. Quite often, their opinion is"don't open carry in the first place." Rather, we should ask "what actions are your officers trained to take if they choose to approach someone open carrying, in the absence of reasonable suspicion or probable cause?"

Also, I would have thanked the chief in advance for his "time and attention", not "guidance" as I think that reinforces the idea that you are asking for his opinion on how you should conduct yourself, which of course is not within the scope of the constitutional powers he possesses. Part of keeping government in check, andkeeping it in itsproper place as servant to the people, is in what we say to it and how we say it.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

I have attached the email I sent to the PC of Garden City, could be helpful.

Also want to thank Venator for his input on this email. Great Job!
    Dave
    http://www.survivalfox.com/
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom". - John F. Kennedy, former U.S. President

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    This is my email to the PC, hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. Mastiff- I have become familiar with Rinse and Repeat. Definitely good to know if stopped.

Sincerely,
    *my name here*
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html This link has a download of a sample letter and appropriate references. Use or modify to fit your needs.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I'll keep those suggestions in mind for next time. Thanks :-)

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Please do, I travel there often.

Bronson
    I'm updating this thread to say that I haven't heard back from anyone about this. Consider this thread finished unless I hear back from the PC, in which case I'll post again.