• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Kalamazoo

EM87

imported post

Has anyone OCed in the city of Kalamazoo? I'm interested to know what the attitude of the Kzoo police is towards OC since that's where I live and plan to OC. I'm hoping they're already okay with it so I don't get hassled.

Thanks!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can't say how the police would react, but I've carried in the town often, as have a good number of my family over the past 3-4 months, and have yet to have police interaction.

mastiff69

imported post

Pst. Ziggy we carried at the resturant several months ago.... In Kalamazoo

Was over 24 of us there not one problem, then went to gander mountain no problem...

Do recomend that you read (rinse and repeat ),

Bronson

imported post

You could just email the Kalamazoo Police Chief.

When I emailed the Battle Creek PC he responded with "The state says open carry is legal and we follow state law."

A quick letter to the PC should settle your curiosity.

Bronson

EM87

imported post

Thanks. I think I'll shoot an email to the PC and see what the response is. I'll post the correspondence for those who may be interested.

EM87

imported post

This is my email to the PC, hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. Mastiff- I have become familiar with Rinse and Repeat. Definitely good to know if stopped.

To the Kalamazoo Chief of Police,
I am writing with a question concerning the open carry of a handgun in Michigan. It has come to my attention that with certain restrictions, open carry is legal in many places in this state. I am wondering if your department recognizes and is in compliance with these laws, as well as what actions should be taken should a person be stopped by an officer while carrying a handgun openly. Thank you for your time and guidance in this matter.

Sincerely,
*my name here*

DanM

imported post

EM87 wrote:
I am writing with a question concerning the open carry of a handgun in Michigan. It has come to my attention that with certain restrictions, open carry is legal in many places in this state. I am wondering if your department recognizes and is in compliance with these laws, as well as what actions should be taken should a person be stopped by an officer while carrying a handgun openly. Thank you for your time and guidance in this matter.
I think your inquiry is fine, with the exception of "what actions should be taken should a person be stopped by an officer . . .". In our communications with LE organizations, we should not ask for their opinion on how to conduct ourselves. Quite often, their opinion is"don't open carry in the first place." Rather, we should ask "what actions are your officers trained to take if they choose to approach someone open carrying, in the absence of reasonable suspicion or probable cause?"

Also, I would have thanked the chief in advance for his "time and attention", not "guidance" as I think that reinforces the idea that you are asking for his opinion on how you should conduct yourself, which of course is not within the scope of the constitutional powers he possesses. Part of keeping government in check, andkeeping it in itsproper place as servant to the people, is in what we say to it and how we say it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

EM87 wrote:
This is my email to the PC, hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. Mastiff- I have become familiar with Rinse and Repeat. Definitely good to know if stopped.

Sincerely,
*my name here*
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html This link has a download of a sample letter and appropriate references. Use or modify to fit your needs.

EM87

imported post

Bronson wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Thanks. I think I'll shoot an email to the PC and see what the response is. I'll post the correspondence for those who may be interested.

Please do, I travel there often.

Bronson

I'm updating this thread to say that I haven't heard back from anyone about this. Consider this thread finished unless I hear back from the PC, in which case I'll post again.