• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Advertising - Las Vegas

geoffw

imported post

What does everyone think about doing some advertising to the Vegas Sheep?

Today, I went and posted this attached ad on Facebook. Everyone between the ages of 21 and 60 will be seeing it on Facebook shortly.

What are other somewhat affordable ways to advertise to the public?

We could get a billboard if everyone wanted to throw in $20 or so. (Im budgeting $500/month myself.)Depending on where its at. Or TV ads maybe? Google TV isnt too expensive during the day.

-Geoff

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Since 2007? It's always been legal in Nevada. Why 21-60? People can OC at 18.

Otherwise... an interesting concept.

The most effective and affordable way to advertise is simply to open carry and give people pamphlets/info when they ask you about it.

geoffw

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:

The most effective and affordable way to advertise is simply to open carry and give people pamphlets/info when they ask you about it.

Its only been legal "everywhere" in nevada since 10/1/07.

You cannot purchase a handgun until 21.

I do that as well :)

-Geoff

varminter22

imported post

Good idea. But needs a re-write.

I agree with Felid. Open Carry has always been legal in Nevada - with a couple of local ordinance restrictions that should have been repealed by 2008 - BUT some of those local juridictions are fighting the new law enacted by SB-92 (2007).

calmp9

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
At 18 you can buy a handgun, just not from an FFL holder per Federal law. Private sales are legal.
My nephew is close to your age and he has been itching to buy a handgun. Have you had any problems with private sales?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

calmp9 wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
At 18 you can buy a handgun, just not from an FFL holder per Federal law. Private sales are legal.
My nephew is close to your age and he has been itching to buy a handgun.  Have you had any problems with private sales? 

Well, my handguns were gifts from my parents, so other than looking around I don't have any experience with private sales. If you're looking for an exact model it can be hard to find someone selling it who isn't a dealer unless it is something really common. This is because the person has to be within the same state and in driving distance.

Checking classifieds might be a good way, and maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to post a "Want To Buy" ad on a forum like Nevada Shooters or something similar. Just make sure that it specifies being under 21 and a face-to-face transaction.

Non-dealers at gun shows could work. One problem is that a lot of people mistakenly believe that you have to be 21 in order to buy a handgun so there are people out there that may not sell one to someone under 21 out of ignorance of the law. Buying from family and friends who have a gun to sell is probably the easiest way.

Someone is selling a Kahr P-45 for $625 in the RGJ classifieds.
http://classifieds.rgj.com/category/525

Of course, if you're into blackpowder guns, you can order one right through the mail, such as this cap and ball Remington 1858 replica.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

(There also exists cartridge conversion cylinders to .45LC and .38spl.):
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,357.html

calmp9

imported post

My nephew lives in Carson, not too far from you. Is there a problem with pawn shops in that area?

irish

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:

I'm curious to know what pamphlets or info you hand out to people. Do you have a link to an online source or is it something you've made yourself? Thanks.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Just the one I made with the laws summarized on it.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/12253.html

There might be other information worth giving out too and it may not be the flashiest ad, but since I have them anyway I figure why not give them to some people who ask me about it.

I think though just talking to people about it and the oral exchange of information is pretty good even without giving them anything written.

calmp9

imported post

irish wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:

I'm curious to know what pamphlets or info you hand out to people. Do you have a link to an online source or is it something you've made yourself? Thanks.
I downloaded it myself. It's pretty damn good.