• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Ban - What will you do?

custom.45acp

imported post

I'm curious. There's a huge push for concealed carry, open carry and a lot of people in Michigan and around the country standing up for those rights.

What happens when we lose the right to own guns? What happens when they come to your door asking for your guns?

Custom.45acp

custom.45acp

imported post

Anyone think waiting until 2010 for the 2nd Amendment March may be too late. Maybe we need to get as many facts to Obama as soon as possible via media, not just easily deleted emails, but actual print of newspapers or to be televised. Something substantial.

Custom.45acp

Michigander

imported post

Although I've made my intentions clear on this in the past, I've come to think it's a very individualized subject, and not really worth discussing on the web. Especially here, because we OCers in Michigan have an abnormally good chance of actually being disarmed by uneducated cops. (I know that's different, but people could interpret it that way.)

God only knows how many different government people watch the posts here, so I don't think it's a smart idea to add tension to the feelings of any lurkers of any sort. Remember, people other than us read what we post. :uhoh:

custom.45acp

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Although I've made my intentions clear on this in the past, I've come to think it's a very individualized subject, and not really worth discussing on the web. Especially here, because we OCers in Michigan have an abnormally good chance of actually being disarmed by uneducated cops. (I know that's different, but people could interpret it that way.)

God only knows how many different government people watch the posts here, so I don't think it's a smart idea to add tension to the feelings of any lurkers of any sort. Remember, people other than us read what we post. :uhoh:

I'm afraid; I think this is a copout.

They have their media and that leaves us to discuss issues here and if they read it, GREAT, so be it. And if different government agencies are listening, it’s all that much better.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the entire point of the March in 2010, to gain their attention for what we believe in?

We need to raise the ante. They NEED to realize this is not a compromise when their talking about rights being stripped from us.

This forum is to educate, right? Partial law as we are taught during our CPL training is unacceptable; everyone (within legal bounds) has a right to Open Carry, with or without a CPL as pertaining to Michigan law.

Question: Are you giving up your freedom of speech not to talk about this topic? How will overcome these hurdles?

How can a topic be so political that we can't discuss it?

Custom.45acp

Michigander

imported post

The answer to 1984 is 1776, this is a fact. But individual circumstances will dictate different responses. There is no reason to blow hot air around about perhaps making a last stand for the constitution if martial law or total gun confiscations ever are attempted. Either you will or you won't, it's an individual thing with variables.

Whether you can see it or not, cold dead hands talk, especially in general terms, can be taken the wrong way when you are part of a group known for being stopped, detained, and disarmed. It has happened to me, and many others here. It can happen to any of us, wrong as the cops usually are when they stop us for carrying.

You mentioned attention. A huge portion of our purpose behind OCing is to get attention. But positive attention. Regardless of context, talking about circumstances where you'd do your best to kill cops is not going to be looked at as positive by a lot of people. It can be justified, and indeed I think would have been in Katrina. But talking about these things extensively is looked down on by a lot of people who are on the fence, so I very sincerely think it best to keep it to a minimum, because again, we need positive attention.

custom.45acp

imported post

I think we all know we have to be extremely tactful when discussing hot political topics such as these but these issues still need to discussed.

It’s not different than FREE CRIMINAL ZONES or Gun Free Zones (their politically correct names), we need to have the right to carry anywhere a criminal is going to carry, whether it be a church, college orNational/local park, etc.There are a lot of people taking a stand on these issues, as they should be. BUT, if no one takes an interest in standing against the bans, the others may be just a waste of time.

I'm curious, why is that? Seriously now, what do you think Obama is doing? He tells the media what to write to feel out the citizens of the United States. Maybe it's about time he reads articles on the consequences of seizing our arms!

Maybe what we write in these forums isn’t propaganda but fact. Maybe we, the 2nd Amendment followers, should print articles in the newspapers stating our beliefs and EXACTLY what we’ll stand up for, not like some that cower during an election process, taking presidency and then showing his true colors.

I believe the 2nd Amendment March is an excellent idea but if we wait until 2010, it may be too late. We need to make a stand NOW.

Custom.45acp

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Custom.45acp, We need to be very careful with our choice of words. Anybody else concerned about the deployment of Army soldiers in Alabama? How about the question of a standing battalion in Maryland?
Some one is responsible for sending the Army to Alabama, an unconstitutional act punishable by a prison sentence. Lets broadcast that. Make it known.
I don't want to make known my hold card, should the game go south. You have to do what you feel necessary for defense of yourself and the state.springerdave.

custom.45acp

imported post

Maybe the way I came off with that type of question was a bit strong (lack of sleep.)

What measures can we take to prevent them coming to our doors and demanding our guns?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Maybe the way I came off with that type of question was a bit strong (lack of sleep.)

What measures can we take to prevent them coming to our doors and demanding our guns?
I'm not exactly sure at this point what can actually be done to stop it, butthink about for a momentwhat U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly did almost over-night for lawful carry in National Parks. Whether this was legal or not, at the time, it happened and there was nothing anybody could do about it-hopefully, this will change very soon. At least, for now, we have the Michigan's Emergency Powers Protection Act (HB 6363 & HB 6364) that was signed into law two years ago.

dfox

imported post

On that emergency Act, I found out that here in Garden City 30.02 PROCLAMATION OF EMERGENCY:

(6) Prohibiting or restricting the possession, sale, carrying, and use of firearms, ammunition, and other dangerous weapons.

I have sent an email to Mayor requesting he amend this.

Just an FYI... Check your city ordinances!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death."
-- Patrick Henry, speech to the Virginia Convention, Richmond, Virginia, March 23, 1775

I had a gun pointed at me once. It had a completely unexpected result. It did not scare me, it pissed me off. I came unglued, and started a hell of a tongue lashing. My anger surprised me. I fully expected to soil my drawers if that was to ever happen. I was 17 or 18 then, and I have the same values now as I did then, only now, they are even more deeply ingrained. You may draw your own conclusions as to my reaction to the inevitable eventuality, custom.

custom.45acp

imported post

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

custom.45acp

imported post

I think it's quite clear.

I got ridiculed for poor choice of words while answering a post (used the word weapon in lieu of gun.) The word weapon was not in the constitution and that’s a bad word. There was a huge debate of verbiage and definitions. Now that there’s something important to debate or at least a response to, everyone’s gone!

How can you think of marching in 2010 and not think about this? Isn’t it the same?

Teach me, please.