Thread: Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban

Post imported post

yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = "Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban "
    yahooBuzzArticleSummary = ""

ARTICLEURL
    http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=116&sid=1627648
    Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban March 18, 2009 - 5:27pm

By JIM ABRAMS
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sixty-five House Democrats said Wednesday that they would oppose any attempt by the Obama administration to revive a ban on military-style weapons that President Bill Clinton signed into law in 1994 and President George W. Bush let expire.

The pro-gun Democrats, led by Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark., wrote Attorney General Eric Holder that they would "actively oppose any effort to reinstate the 1994 ban, or to pass any similar law."

They urged the administration to avoid a "long and divisive fight over a gun control issue" at a time when Washington needs to concentrate on the economic crisis.

The House letter came a day after Montana's two Democratic senators, Max Baucus and Jon Tester, wrote a similar letter to Holder saying the Justice Department should enforce existing laws before considering new gun ownership restrictions. "We will strongly oppose any legislation that will infringe upon the rights of individual gun owners," they said.

The letters came after Holder, during a news conference to announce the arrest of Mexican drug dealers, said the drug cartels were obtaining high-powered weapons like the AK-47 from U.S. gun stores and said the Obama administration supported reinstituting the ban on the sale of assault-style weapons.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has said she plans to introduce legislation to bring back the weapons ban. Feinstein was an author of the 1994 bill, which banned 19 types of semiautomatic, military-style guns. The law expired under the Bush administration in 2004. Another long-term goal is requiring that all gun shows conduct background checks before selling firearms.

The National Rifle Association has said it is mobilizing to stop any assault weapons ban, and the opposition of 65 House Democrats, many from rural or conservative districts with strong pro-gun sentiments, probably would doom any legislative drive to restrict gun ownership.

Already this year, Republicans have stalled legislation that would give the District of Columbia a voting representative in the House by linking the bill to a measure significantly weakening D.C.'s gun laws.

House Democratic leaders have put off a vote on the voting rights bill out of concern that pro-gun Democrats would oppose it if it is separated from the gun measure.

yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = "Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban "
    yahooBuzzArticleSummary = ""

ARTICLEURL
    http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=116&sid=1627648

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Some are speculating that they won't get enough Dem. votes because of what happened last time they passed the AWB. I hope this is true.

The last time there was a sweeping congress change and many dems lost their jobs.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Thats so true...

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Some are speculating that they won't get enough Dem. votes because of what happened last time they passed the AWB. I hope this is true.

The last time there was a sweeping congress change and many dems lost their jobs.
    That is the key right there. It is not that they are pro-gun dems, it is that they are anti-being_voted_out_of_office dems.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

I'll give them some credit. Their job is to be representatives of the people. If the people would vote them out for voting for an anti-gun bill, then by taking a pro-gun position they are obviously representing the wishes of their constituency on the matter which is their job. It may be that enough dems prove themselves unwilling to vote for any gun bans in the next four year to prevent any such matter. If that is the case I will have to grudgingly but happily concede that Donkey was right on the matter.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:

That is the key right there. It is not that they are pro-gun dems, it is that they are anti-being_voted_out_of_office dems.
    You ever been to Montana?

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:

There are pro-gun dems, I know of at least one on this forum (that's well-respected) and a couple on another gun forum... plus, at least 4 of my friends in real life are pro-gun democrats.

That's why I say "anti-gunners" instead of democrats or liberals when talking about those going after the second amendment.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    joeroket wrote:

There are pro-gun dems, I know of at least one on this forum (that's well-respected) and a couple on another gun forum... plus, at least 4 of my friends in real life are pro-gun democrats.

That's why I say "anti-gunners" instead of democrats or liberals when talking about those going after the second amendment.
    Ya think.

I highly doubt that all 65 that are supposedly opposing a renewal of the bill are pro-gun.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

vote_no wrote:
    joeroket wrote:

You ever been to Montana?
    Nope and I doubt they have 65 dems in the house.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:

They're only pro-gun because they are in pro-gun districts.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:

Ya think.

I highly doubt that all 65 that are supposedly opposing a renewal of the bill are pro-gun.
    Me too. Heck, I'd wager not more than 10% are actually pro-gun, but at least they know they have to represent their districts if they want to get reelected and that speaks well for the American population as a whole.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

You are probably pretty damn close with the 10%.

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Count me in. On most issues (not this one, obviously) I'm pretty solidly on the liberal/Democratic side.

Post imported post

Here's Workman's March 23 column, wondering why Washington State Democrat members of Congress didn't join 65 of their Democrat colleagues and sign a letter to Eric Holder, telling him to back off on talking up a renewal of the AWB.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m3d23-65-House-Democrats-stand-against-gun-ban-renewal-WA-reps-not-among-them-Why-not

If that doesn't work, try this:

http://tinyurl.com/c3v4kx

Post imported post

Liberal and carrying. I don't worry about a BG's political affiliation