• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban

Manu

imported post

yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = "Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban "
yahooBuzzArticleSummary = ""

ARTICLEURL
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=116&sid=1627648
Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban March 18, 2009 - 5:27pm

By JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sixty-five House Democrats said Wednesday that they would oppose any attempt by the Obama administration to revive a ban on military-style weapons that President Bill Clinton signed into law in 1994 and President George W. Bush let expire.

The pro-gun Democrats, led by Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark., wrote Attorney General Eric Holder that they would "actively oppose any effort to reinstate the 1994 ban, or to pass any similar law."

They urged the administration to avoid a "long and divisive fight over a gun control issue" at a time when Washington needs to concentrate on the economic crisis.

The House letter came a day after Montana's two Democratic senators, Max Baucus and Jon Tester, wrote a similar letter to Holder saying the Justice Department should enforce existing laws before considering new gun ownership restrictions. "We will strongly oppose any legislation that will infringe upon the rights of individual gun owners," they said.

The letters came after Holder, during a news conference to announce the arrest of Mexican drug dealers, said the drug cartels were obtaining high-powered weapons like the AK-47 from U.S. gun stores and said the Obama administration supported reinstituting the ban on the sale of assault-style weapons.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has said she plans to introduce legislation to bring back the weapons ban. Feinstein was an author of the 1994 bill, which banned 19 types of semiautomatic, military-style guns. The law expired under the Bush administration in 2004. Another long-term goal is requiring that all gun shows conduct background checks before selling firearms.

The National Rifle Association has said it is mobilizing to stop any assault weapons ban, and the opposition of 65 House Democrats, many from rural or conservative districts with strong pro-gun sentiments, probably would doom any legislative drive to restrict gun ownership.

Already this year, Republicans have stalled legislation that would give the District of Columbia a voting representative in the House by linking the bill to a measure significantly weakening D.C.'s gun laws.

House Democratic leaders have put off a vote on the voting rights bill out of concern that pro-gun Democrats would oppose it if it is separated from the gun measure.

yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = "Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban "
yahooBuzzArticleSummary = ""

ARTICLEURL
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=116&sid=1627648

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Some are speculating that they won't get enough Dem. votes because of what happened last time they passed the AWB. I hope this is true.

The last time there was a sweeping congress change and many dems lost their jobs.

joeroket

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Some are speculating that they won't get enough Dem. votes because of what happened last time they passed the AWB. I hope this is true.

The last time there was a sweeping congress change and many dems lost their jobs.
That is the key right there. It is not that they are pro-gun dems, it is that they are anti-being_voted_out_of_office dems.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll give them some credit. Their job is to be representatives of the people. If the people would vote them out for voting for an anti-gun bill, then by taking a pro-gun position they are obviously representing the wishes of their constituency on the matter which is their job. It may be that enough dems prove themselves unwilling to vote for any gun bans in the next four year to prevent any such matter. If that is the case I will have to grudgingly but happily concede that Donkey was right on the matter.

vote_no

imported post

joeroket wrote:

That is the key right there. It is not that they are pro-gun dems, it is that they are anti-being_voted_out_of_office dems.
You ever been to Montana?

just_a_car

imported post

joeroket wrote:

There are pro-gun dems, I know of at least one on this forum (that's well-respected) and a couple on another gun forum... plus, at least 4 of my friends in real life are pro-gun democrats.

That's why I say "anti-gunners" instead of democrats or liberals when talking about those going after the second amendment.

joeroket

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
joeroket wrote:

There are pro-gun dems, I know of at least one on this forum (that's well-respected) and a couple on another gun forum... plus, at least 4 of my friends in real life are pro-gun democrats.

That's why I say "anti-gunners" instead of democrats or liberals when talking about those going after the second amendment.
Ya think.

I highly doubt that all 65 that are supposedly opposing a renewal of the bill are pro-gun.

joeroket

imported post

vote_no wrote:
joeroket wrote:

You ever been to Montana?
Nope and I doubt they have 65 dems in the house.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

joeroket wrote:

They're only pro-gun because they are in pro-gun districts.

just_a_car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

Ya think.

I highly doubt that all 65 that are supposedly opposing a renewal of the bill are pro-gun.
Me too. Heck, I'd wager not more than 10% are actually pro-gun, but at least they know they have to represent their districts if they want to get reelected and that speaks well for the American population as a whole.

Mad Pick

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Count me in. On most issues (not this one, obviously) I'm pretty solidly on the liberal/Democratic side.

Dave Workman