• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I be OC near school zone

CCW JOE

imported post

I wanna know If im taking a walk with my spouse and Im oc but i have to walk by to schools after school hours am i violating any laws.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CCW JOE wrote:
I wanna know If im taking a walk with my spouse and Im oc but i have to walk by to schools after school hours am i violating any laws.
Yes. You cannot possess a firearm within 1000 feet of a K-12 school (exceptions for private property and locked cases). This is PC 626.9 and it is terrible law. I recommend reading http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

brokenbarrel

imported post

mud is right and this also aplies to parks or anywhere with jungle gyms,playgrounds and the like..for instance if you live in a community (HOA) with a play ground and oc your in violation..sorry:banghead:

mjones

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
mud is right and this also aplies to parks or anywhere with jungle gyms,playgrounds and the like..for instance if you live in a community (HOA) with a play ground and oc your in violation..sorry:banghead:

Penalty flag - no citation

If you research it I don't believe you will find this legislated except maybe in thelegislation of a particular county.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
I believe you're referring to 'playgrounds' and 'youth centers' enhancement found in 626.95.

This enhances penalties to 12025, 12031, and 417 violations under some circumstances.

Code:
[i][b]626[/b].95.  (a) Any person who is in violation of paragraph (2) of
subdivision (a), or subdivision (b), of Section 417 , or Section
12025 or 12031, upon the grounds of or within a playground, or a
public or private youth center during hours in which the facility is
open for business, classes, or school-related programs, or at any
time when minors are using the facility, knowing that he or she is on
or within those grounds, shall be punished by imprisonment in the
state prison for one, two, or three years, or in a county jail not
exceeding one year.
(b) State and local authorities are encouraged to cause signs to
be posted around playgrounds and youth centers giving warning of
prohibition of the possession of firearms upon the grounds of or
within playgrounds or youth centers.
(c) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall
apply:
(1) "Playground" means any park or recreational area specifically
designed to be used by children that has play equipment installed,
including public grounds designed for athletic activities such as
baseball, football, soccer, or basketball, or any similar facility
located on public or private school grounds, or on city or county
parks.
(2) "Youth center" means any public or private facility that is
used to host recreational or social activities for minors while
minors are present.
(d) It is the Legislature's intent that only an actual conviction
of a felony of one of the offenses specified in this section would
subject the person to firearms disabilities under the federal Gun
Control Act of 1968 (P.L. 90-618; 18 U.S.C. Sec. 921).
[/i]

NightOwl

imported post

That school zone nonsense needs to be legislated out. On school property if they need to have anything, or maybe 10 feet and not in a vehicle or something...like if you're walking past you might have to cross a street. I'd prefer it to be allowed altogether, but it would at least be a step in the right direction.