• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rep Jerry Moran comments about 2nd Amendment & HR45

wrightme

imported post

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/record.xpd?id=111-h20090317-82

Mr. Speaker, I come this afternoon to the House of Representatives to bring a message from Kansans and those who support the Second Amendment.The United States Supreme Court ruled last year that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to own firearms and that Washington DC's gun ban is unconstitutional. This decision was a win for all Americans and sent a message to governments across the country in support of Second Amendment freedoms.
Unfortunately in recent weeks we have heard from administration officials and gun control advocates that they are pushing to restrict an individual's gun rights, the rights guaranteed by our Constitution. Discussing escalating violence caused by drug cartels in Mexico, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder last month called for reinstating the so-called assault weapons ban.
This is the wrong approach. Instead of punishing law-abiding American gun owners, our citizens, our country should be working to enforce existing gun laws that outlaw illegal purchases. We should secure our borders, and we should work to increase the cooperation between the United States and Mexican authorities.
Many Kansans are also concerned about H.R. 45, legislation that has been proposed to license gun owners and track firearms sales. I am hopeful that this bill does not have the support to be approved by this Congress.
An article in today's Wichita Eagle, our newspaper at home, highlights an ironic twist. The article reports that news of gun control efforts, along with concerns that crime will increase with a troubled economy, has ramped up the demand for firearms and ammunitions. Shortages are now common as retail stores are having trouble keeping guns and ammunition on the shelves.
I want to restate that our Founding Fathers established a Bill of Rights to our Constitution to make sure that American citizens can live in freedom without government intrusion. Human liberty and limited government are principles I hold in high regard.
I stand with Kansans in opposing efforts that violate the Second Amendment, and I will continue to cast my votes where it's necessary to protect our rights, including those provided for by the Second Amendment.

hammer6

imported post

ComSec wrote:
the 2nd Amend doesn't give me crap, I do. its just a god damn piece of paper

:banghead:

you really can't be serious.....can you? are you?

hammer6

imported post

ComSec wrote:
Just a statement that the 2a does not GIVE me my rights, it tells them I have it.

well that's not what you said previous so that's why i asked. and it doesn't just tell them you have it, it protects the unalienable rights that you have.

KBCraig

imported post

hammer6 wrote:
ComSec wrote:
Just a statement that the 2a does not GIVE me my rights, it tells them I have it.
well that's not what you said previous so that's why i asked.
That's exactly what he said the first time: "the 2nd Amend doesn't give me crap".

And he's right, it doesn't give us anything. That right, like all rights, existed prior to, and exist despite violations of, the Constitution.

KS_to_CA

imported post

That's right. The constitution does not give you the rights. It merely acknowledge the rights you have, and it directs the gov'ment to guaradamntee it.

K

KansasScout

imported post

While philosophically we agree the Constitution does not GIVE us rights, it RECOGNIZES them, calling it a "crap piece of paper" is grossly overstating its lack of relevance. IT IS SUPREMELY important for our Constitution to recognize our rights. It makes no sense to say it's a "piece of crap"

I would die for that "piece of crap" Constitution. When you enter the Armed Forces, you take an oath to protect that Constitution.

Express yourself better....