• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asking permission to Open Carry in Illinois

Johnyt101

imported post

If I am reading all of this right, OCDO might have to change the status of open carry in Illinois.

It would seem that open carry is legal in rural/unincorporated areas on public and private land.

(720 ILCS 5/24-1)
Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.

(10) Carries or possesses on or about his person, upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the
corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town,
except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the
purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his land
or in his own abode or fixed place of business, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm,
except that this subsection (a) (10) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet on of
the following conditions:

However according to this, you would have to get the permission of the cheif security officer to open carry on public land even in rural/unincorporated areas (a hunting permit covers this for people who hunt on certain public lands).

(720 ILCS 5/21‑6) (from Ch. 38, par. 21‑6)
Sec. 21‑6. Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.
(a) Whoever possesses or stores any weapon enumerated in Section 33A‑1 in any building or on land supported in whole or in part with public funds or in any building on such land without prior written permission from the chief security officer for such land or building commits a Class A misdemeanor.

So would that mean that you could not open carry walking down the street in an unincoporated area with out the permission of the sheriff because he is the cheif security officer (being that unincorporated roads would be under the county polices jurisdiction)?

That section of the law only applies to places receiving public funds, so it would still be okay to open carry on private land. But that kind of makes the unincoporated open carry section mute because you can open/conceal carry on private property inside of or outside of a corporated area.

So effectivly carrying outside of private property unless you are hunting is virtually banned unless you get the permission of your sherriff. But how many of them would actually grant you permission to carry even tho the law says they cannot deny a resonable request? Good luck Cook County residents!

Johnyt101

imported post

Here is a good link

http://www.concealcarry.org/permission.htm

The only thing I disagree with in the link is that the law says it is illegal to store or posess, not to trasport a weapons. So if you have to drive on public roads from point A to B, not actually stop and walk around and posess the weapon you are okay. Otherwise youd have to contact the cheif of police for permission to drive through every town you traveled in.

I am thinking about sending a letter to Sheriff Zuruba and seeing if I get a responce because I live near a rather large unincorporated area.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Trespass is an offense you commit when you fail to vacate property you have been duly notified you are not welcome or have entered in violation of lawfully posed notices to the contrary. The weapons possession restriction in 26-6 imposes trespass without even have committed the normal elements to constitute trespass.

junglebob

imported post

A good places to get permission from the sheriff might be Johnson or Pope counties, in the spring election there was a referendum about passing LTC legislation and 84% in Johnson voted yes and 90% in Pope.