• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWP holder in shooting in Boise

Vandal

imported post

Vandal wrote:
I want to know how in the hell this guy got a CWP and whoever did his background check needs to be charged with something. This man should have not been around guns with his mile long record including carrying a concealed weapon with out a permit and battery. He gets into a fight, while carrying and drinking and then calls the shooting self defense? You have got to be kidding me!

And yes, I quoted myself. I fail at the "edit" button tonight.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/boise/story/700564.html

NightOwl

imported post

Vandal wrote:
I want to know how in the hell this guy got a CWP and whoever did his background check needs to be charged with something. This man should have not been around guns with his mile long record including carrying a concealed weapon with out a permit and battery.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/boise/story/700564.html
Background checks do not include things you haven't been convicted of. Like the "battery" charge that you yourself found him guilty of, in spite of him not having been tried for it yet. I've no idea where you got the information on the "concealed weapon without a permit" charge that you claim he's been convicted of, either, since that wasn't mentioned in the article. The article did mention that he does have a permit, though.

Innocent until proven guilty, and not to be rude, but you finding him guilty without him having a trial does not make him guilty in my book. Neither does an accusatory newspaper article.

DCR

imported post

His "extensive" record includes the following convictions:

misdemeanor unlawful entry & petit theft

moving violations: inattentive driving, speeding x 3, seat belt x2, noisy car

He got a withheld judgment for possession of paraphernalia & unlicensed ccw - so those aren't convictions.

No disqualifying offenses = ccw permit based on "shall issue."

He's an aberration, not the norm. But he is an idiot we're better off not having in our firearms community.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

DCR wrote:
He got a withheld judgment for possession of paraphernalia & unlicensed ccw - so those aren't convictions.
I thought withholding judgment ment you had to fly right or get it as a conviction?
So the battery charge should have resulted in the conviction of the ccw charge.

But I will reserve judgement till I hear if he was jumped by multiple people and
was defending himself. But if a drunken brawl then I won't lose any sleep over his
long stay in the pokey, unless he gets a cell where the inmates run the assylum
like texas.

DCR

imported post

Based on the registry of actions website above, Hobbs had probation on the paraphernalia and ccw charges from summer 2002 through summer 2003. Because he apparently successfully completed that probation, he got the withheld judgment, and those charges were dismissed. There's nothing they could've held over his head after that, and they can't "take away" his withheld for anything he ever did after he got it.

His battery and DUI charges, filed almost 5 1/2 years after he got the withheld, are still pending - they're simply accusations, not convictions.

Arrests and charges don't mean squat to anyone but law enforcement officers, who, unfortunately for the public, base their decision whether to issue a citation or arrest (for non-mandatory arrest crimes) on whether someone has been arrested before, without regard to whether the prior arrest resulted in a conviction. Let's not convict this guy of his battery or DUI before the courts have.

But I have to admit, based on the coverage of his shooting, it appears that he's not only an idiot, he's toast on the murder charge. I agree - unless he got jumped in numbers or threatened with a weapon, he deserves a nice long stay in the pen.

NightOwl

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
DCR wrote:
I thought withholding judgment ment you had to fly right or get it as a conviction?
So the battery charge should have resulted in the conviction of the ccw charge.

But I will reserve judgement till I hear if he was jumped by multiple people and
was defending himself. But if a drunken brawl then I won't lose any sleep over his
long stay in the pokey, unless he gets a cell where the inmates run the assylum
like texas.
I believe that you're correct about the battery charge...but that's only if he's convicted of it. His court date is still pending.

Don't get me wrong, he *sounds* like a real piece of work, and that this latest charge will find him guilty. Let's at least try to stick to the whole "innocent until proven guilty" part of it, rather than crucify him on things that he's yet to be convicted of. I know that I would hate to be convicted by the public at large on an accusation, which goes to court and gets utterly demolished due to having no case...but then you're still known as the guy who did the crime...when you didn't.

Hiredgun30

imported post

do you remember the guy that got arrested on "cops" in boise.

He had a CCW and found in posession of narcotics at the carwash.

or the CCW holder who tried to rob costco in boise.

hitbackfirst

imported post

Do you remember that CCW holder who had dinner with his family and then went home? How about the one who went shopping at Wal-Mart? Oh wait, what about the one who deposited his paycheck at the bank? :banghead:

CCW holders are everywhere, doing all sorts of things. Pointing out that someone who commits a crime is a CCW holder is about as valid an observation as noting his race, religion, or hairstyle. The media often avoids mentioning the race of an offender but always mentions if they have a weapon or are a CCW holder. Why? Because most of them are anti-gun and want to instill a suspicion of CCW holders in the general public. Apparently it works.

Let's not join the chorus of those questioning the CCW process. It is already a violation of our basic freedom that we must have a license to carry a weapon conceiled. The last thing we want is to make the process harder.

Hiredgun30

imported post

hey hitback.. that ccw holder you are talking about is a bunch of us......

the only thing that upsets me is that when criminals with CCWs commit crimes,it becomes another statistic to use against us gun owners.

that being said, i dont think they should change the ccw process..

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Don't convict him till he's found guilty Vandal. Read the requirements for CWP in Idaho... the guy met them all. Honestly getting charged with "battery" is usually an absurd charge... for hundreds of years men "maned up" and defended themselves without running off and hiding behind stupid laws that say "if he touches you without your consent it's battery!" I'm not defending the guy... I'm just saying don't pretend to know all about him when you don't.

He's likely a loser who still happens to be qualified to not be in prison and legally allowed to have a gun. You're also forgetting that it's unconstitutional to require CWPs anyway! ;)