Thread: Passing through the state...could use a little light shed on a couple things

Post imported post

I can't believe I just found this site...if I'd known there was a handgunlaw.us-type site for open carry I would've registered long ago Just had a couple questions that hopefully someone can clear up, I'm pretty burned out on looking through the codes of about 10 different states, hard to think straight:?

As a non-resident, am I still allowed to open carry without a permit? And what's the deal with vehicles, since that's where I'll be spending most of my time? I found this in the state code:
    (c) A person’s transportation or storage of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose if the firearm is not on the actor’s person;
    Does this mean I can just stick it in the glove box or center console? It seems like something I would win if it went to court but the whole idea is to avoid that in the first place

Post imported post

You cannot carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in Ohio without a CCW permit from some state that Ohio has a reciprocity agreement with.

Here is the list of states whose licenses Ohio recognizes.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...eciprocity.asp

Post imported post

Right... you can open carry in Ohio without any kind of permit, however you can't transport loaded in a vehicle. You could just unload while in the car and keep the gun in a closed unit.

Post imported post

Remember that magazines must be empty for transport as well, unless you have a recognized carry permit.

-ljp

Post imported post

Did not know the magazines had to be empty, thanks for the heads-up as I'll be going through the state every once in a while :celebrate

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Captain Colon where are you coming from that you don't have aconcealed handgunpermit that Ohio recognizes for reciprocity? If you already have aconcealed handgun permitin your home state (or another), you may already have the training necessary to apply for a Virginia non-resident concealed handgun permit. Ohio recognizes both resident and non-resident Virginia permits, so this is an option you may want to explore. The maximum fee for a Virginia CHP is $50, so the fee isn't too bad in comparison to other states.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

Post imported post

I applied for my AR permit two months ago and have yet to receive it.

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Remember that magazines must be empty for transport as well, unless you have a recognized carry permit.

-ljp
    Good grief.

Post imported post

Yeah, Ohio makes a distinction between transporting a firearm and carrying it as such. I got run to jail over such hairsplitting, so I'm not just making some academic point. You have to do the "magazine shuffle" of unloading and reloading every time you get in and out of the car, unless you get a recognized permit. This new legal standard is at least clearer, if no more convenient.

-ljp