• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Lead in National Parks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

No explanation how this decision was reached, why it may be necessary or how this rule will be implemented. There has been no proposed rule, nor any opportunity for public comment.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/18/proposed-lead-ban-causes-stir/

The American Sportfishing Association, an Alexandria-based trade group, isn't happy with an arbitrary decision by the National Park Service that would ban the use of lead components in fishing tackle in all national parks by 2010. The ban also would include lead component ammunition used by hunters. An official with the trade group said it was surprised and dismayed by the announcement.

"Their intention to eliminate the use of lead in fishing tackle in national parks was made without prior consultation of the sportfishing industry or the millions of recreational anglers who fish within the national park system," ASA vice president Gordon Robertson said.

Robertson is particularly upset with the move because in a Jan. 21 executive memo by President Barack Obama to federal agency and department heads, the president made it clear that he wants the federal government to be "transparent, participatory and collaborative" and that "executive departments and agencies should offer Americans increased opportunities to participate in policymaking and to provide their government with the benefits of their collective expertise and information."

Naturally, all 60 million American sport anglers would appreciate it if government employees were to heed the president's order.

For example, a lead ban would include fishermen's slip sinkers, heads of spinnerbaits and jigs, lead-based eyes on certain fly fishing poppers and streamers, any lead sinkers used by bait dunkers and tackle items.

What bothers the sportfishing group and various shooting organizations is the quiet way the park service went about the lead ban. Normally, user groups might have been notified about such changes and would have been invited to discuss the plans, which can affect so many Americans.

"The NPS policy announcement does not explain how this decision was reached, why it may be necessary or how this rule will be implemented," Robertson said. "To our knowledge, there has been no proposed rule, nor any opportunity for public comment. We request that the NPS withdraw this proposal and discuss the rationale for it with the appropriate stakeholders before taking further action."

However, the park service said visitors and wildlife have something to cheer about regarding the agency's "stepped-up efforts to reduce lead" in national park environments.
"Our goal is to eliminate the use of lead ammunition and lead fishing tackle in parks," National Park Service acting director Dan Wenk said. "We want to take a leadership role in removing lead from the environment."

This effort would include various activities, such as the culling of wildlife or the dispatching of wounded or sick animals. Rangers would have to use nonlead ammunition to "prevent environmental contamination as well as lead poisoning of scavenger species who may eventually feed upon the carcass," Wenk said.

The park service said nontoxic substitutes for lead, such as tungsten, copper and steel, are widely available.

The parks people cited California and Arizona, which have implemented bans on lead ammunition to facilitate California condor recovery. They also mentioned Yellowstone National Park, where restrictions on lead fishing tackle have been in effect because officials believe the limitations will protect native species and their habitats.

Yata hey

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
No explanation how this decision was reached, why it may be necessary or how this rule will be implemented. There has been no proposed rule, nor any opportunity for public comment.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/18/proposed-lead-ban-causes-stir/

The American Sportfishing Association, an Alexandria-based trade group, isn't happy with an arbitrary decision by the National Park Service that would ban the use of lead components in fishing tackle in all national parks by 2010. The ban also would include lead component ammunition used by hunters. An official with the trade group said it was surprised and dismayed by the announcement.

"Their intention to eliminate the use of lead in fishing tackle in national parks was made without prior consultation of the sportfishing industry or the millions of recreational anglers who fish within the national park system," ASA vice president Gordon Robertson said.

Robertson is particularly upset with the move because in a Jan. 21 executive memo by President Barack Obama to federal agency and department heads, the president made it clear that he wants the federal government to be "transparent, participatory and collaborative" and that "executive departments and agencies should offer Americans increased opportunities to participate in policymaking and to provide their government with the benefits of their collective expertise and information."

Naturally, all 60 million American sport anglers would appreciate it if government employees were to heed the president's order.

For example, a lead ban would include fishermen's slip sinkers, heads of spinnerbaits and jigs, lead-based eyes on certain fly fishing poppers and streamers, any lead sinkers used by bait dunkers and tackle items.

What bothers the sportfishing group and various shooting organizations is the quiet way the park service went about the lead ban. Normally, user groups might have been notified about such changes and would have been invited to discuss the plans, which can affect so many Americans.

"The NPS policy announcement does not explain how this decision was reached, why it may be necessary or how this rule will be implemented," Robertson said. "To our knowledge, there has been no proposed rule, nor any opportunity for public comment. We request that the NPS withdraw this proposal and discuss the rationale for it with the appropriate stakeholders before taking further action."

However, the park service said visitors and wildlife have something to cheer about regarding the agency's "stepped-up efforts to reduce lead" in national park environments.
"Our goal is to eliminate the use of lead ammunition and lead fishing tackle in parks," National Park Service acting director Dan Wenk said. "We want to take a leadership role in removing lead from the environment."

This effort would include various activities, such as the culling of wildlife or the dispatching of wounded or sick animals. Rangers would have to use nonlead ammunition to "prevent environmental contamination as well as lead poisoning of scavenger species who may eventually feed upon the carcass," Wenk said.

The park service said nontoxic substitutes for lead, such as tungsten, copper and steel, are widely available.

The parks people cited California and Arizona, which have implemented bans on lead ammunition to facilitate California condor recovery. They also mentioned Yellowstone National Park, where restrictions on lead fishing tackle have been in effect because officials believe the limitations will protect native species and their habitats.

Yata hey
Disgusting!

paramedic70002

imported post

So NPS can cough up a new rule banning lead by 2010, but a Federal judge can instantly stop a rule that allows concealed weapons that will introduce virtually no lead to the environment.

Apparently many administration staffers, NPS officials, and Federal judges are already suffering from the devastating neurological effects of lead poisoning.

Armed

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
More importantly from what I understand, a violation of the prescribed procedures.:exclaim:
Yeah, isn't this same line ofreasoning the Brady bunch used to get an injunction against allowing concealed carry in national parks? Weren't they complaining that an environmental study had not been done?

Dom

imported post

While I did not grow up hunting and fishing, I recognize the great conservation legacy of America's hunters and anglers. Were it not for America's hunters and anglers, including the great icons like Theodore Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold, our nation would not have the tradition of sound game management and an extensive public lands estate on which to hunt and fish. There are close to 40 million Americans who hunt and fish. Hunting and Fishing plays an important part in our economy and our heritage as a nation. I am courting sportsmen because my policies, actions and decisions as President will advance the goals of hunters and anglers.
- Barack Obama

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/davidlazarus/gGgsBF

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dom wrote:
While I did not grow up hunting and fishing, I recognize the great conservation legacy of America's hunters and anglers. Were it not for America's hunters and anglers, including the great icons like Theodore Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold, our nation would not have the tradition of sound game management and an extensive public lands estate on which to hunt and fish. There are close to 40 million Americans who hunt and fish. Hunting and Fishing plays an important part in our economy and our heritage as a nation. I am courting sportsmen because my policies, actions and decisions as President will advance the goals of hunters and anglers.
- Barack Obama

There goes my dinner!

Yata hey

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

So, in several of my interests and hobbies I have been negatively affected by arbitrary and capricious actions of Federal officials. The ARRL took the FCC to task in court and previaled in the manner that the FCC enacted a group of regulations affecting Ham Radio Operators. As a Private Pilot we are facing regulations from the EPA that may/probably will eliminate General Aviation as we know it by eliminating Lead in AVGas. As a Firearm enthousiast, now we are facing yet another hurdle.

Enough is Enough and that was a decade or two ago!

What about a Class Action Suit against the Feds for ALL their proceedural, ethical, and legals abuses, violations, and usurpments?

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Dom wrote:
- Barack Obama

Yes, and all that means is that if you are not a hunter, you have no business owning a weapon, and he's going to make sure than only sports hunting weapons are available to citizens for their right to bear arms. I've heard both Eric Holder and Barack Obama speak on this and they don't believe US civilians have the right to bear arms. They'll do everything they can to strip us of that right.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Dom wrote:
- Barack Obama

Yes, and all that means is that if you are not a hunter, you have no business owning a weapon, and he's going to make sure than only sports hunting weapons are available to citizens for their right to bear arms. I've heard both Eric Holder and Barack Obama speak on this and they don't believe US civilians have the right to bear arms. They'll do everything they can to strip us of that right.
Oh the hunters will lose their rights too if this is allowed to continue. They (the hunters) just don't fully understand that yet.

Yata hey