• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

65 Dems send letter to Holder opposing the AWB

joseph

imported post

These house Dem's are not fools, they'd like to keep their seat through the next election cycle. If these 65 continue their opposition and all 178 republicans oppose it (if itever evencomes up), then Pelosi would not have the votes for passage.

I don't see the AWB coming up until after the midterm election, orpossibly not at at all during BO first term (hopefully his ONLY term). I do sense that between now and then we'll probably see several trial balloons to gauge public reaction on several gun control measures. The Brady group is very well fundedand too entrenched in the Democrat party for the Dem's to just ignore their lobbying efforts.

Eventually these 65Dem's will be pressured to change their position. Just like the new Senator from New York that took Clinton's seat. She had a fairly solid 2A record, I'm not so sure any more given her recent comments. Wether enough cave in is yet to be seen.

joseph

imported post

hlh wrote:
All bets are off if some idiot kills a bunch of innocents in a gun free zone.

Certainly they will use any large scale gun catastrophe to test the public reaction to more gun control legislation. And the national mediacertainly plays to their hand.

But, even in light of recent gunman events in several states and in Germany, and the national media attention toward those events, we haven't seen any added traction toward additional gun control legislation in Washington.

darthmord

imported post

hlh wrote:

Not necessarily... just as it's easy to point and claim reason for additional gun control measures, one can point out just how ineffective the existing ones were and how additional ones won't help.

Massive shooting incident. Outcry for more Gun Control.

Reasoned Response: Give a short summary history of gun control legislation that has been enacted. Intersperse that with gun catastrophes that occured *AFTER* enactment of Gun Control legislation.

Then move to "All those existing gun control measures failed repeatedly time and again to keep law abiding citizens safe from criminals with guns. The Government's response was to enact more gun control laws. So why do we want to enact more laws to keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens? Why are weenacting lawsto protect criminals? It wasn't the law-abiding citizens who committed the crimes. It was criminals.

Then move to: "The Brady organization and other gun control groups actions while driven by good intentions, only serve to protect criminalsand NOTlaw-abiding citizens. If they were well and truly desiring to keep law abiding citizens safe from criminals, they would join us helping every American become a lawfully armed citizen."

I'm sure that someone can word smith that even better and turn it into a PR bonanza for gun-rights.

spy1

imported post

I think that each and every one of us should check out the list of signers on that pdf., and if they are any of our OWN Representatives on there, you should email or FAX them and THANK them.

You don't even have to be their actual constituent, you know.

And - you don't have to be a democrat to acknowledge and thank them for doing something that was right.

I just finished FAX'ing Representatives Mike McIntyre (D-NC), Heath Shuler (D-NC) and Larry Kissell (D-NC), thanking them for signing. Pete

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

hlh wrote:
I don't think so, sadly gun massacres have become to commonplace to be that shocking to the people anymore.

Dom

imported post

You have to remember 64 House Dems voted against the AWB in 1994, so it doesn't seem like we're much further ahead. While it's great so many Dems are against the ban, there were 46 House Republicans that voted for the ban...I wonder where ALL the Republicans stand on this today.

FMCDH

imported post

And not a single signature from Washington. Makes me sick.
I'm not totally surprised, but I am still very unhappy right now with my state reps.

bufordtpisser

imported post

hlh wrote:

You mean like what happened today in Binghamton? And since immigration is usually Federal OC and CC prohibited. And if it were a private help center probably not many non-immigrants there. Sad day.